Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 09:00 PM

Default Tips for hunting grouse/small game and game birds?

New to hunting and living in Central Alberta. Own a .22 and a 12ga. Have my license for game birds. Mainly looking for grouse/other game birds and also rabbits.

So far I have been hunting by just immersing myself in the woods and walking around quietly by grouse habitat. AKA evergreen edge near roads/gravel with open flight airspace.

Whenever I have seen grouse, it has always been by a gravel road on the ground with no snow on the ground. Now I see none but I am not by a road and there is snow on the ground. Is it just too late in the season?

Anyone have any reccomendations on how to improve my game/strategy? I don't think staying put and waiting is a good strategy is it? I can't even find any grouse now let alone hunt them!

Thank you so much!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:03 PM

Default Grouse

As far as grouse go in the later season with snow on the ground, I find I am more successful doing some bushwhacking. They usually seem to move into the deeper cover where there is less snow on the ground so they can still pick through the undergrowth.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:46 AM

Good tip, thank you!
Old 12-05-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lublinkhof View Post
As far as grouse go in the later season with snow on the ground, I find I am more successful doing some bushwhacking. They usually seem to move into the deeper cover where there is less snow on the ground so they can still pick through the undergrowth.
Agreed.

Get off the actual gravel roads, and poke VERY slowly down old seismic lines, clear-cut edges, logging trails, etc. I kicked up a bunch in flocks the last 2 weeks of November while big game hunting. Many instances I saw the first one huddled beneath a spruce tree, only to flush many more as I took more steps.

With this warm weather continuing, grouse hunting into the Holidays should be awesome.