Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-29-2016, 10:08 PM

Default Introduction & question on Pheasant release sites

Hi everybody,

I have been reading this forum for a few years now and have gotten a ridiculous amount of helpful information. I figured it was about time I became a member myself.

I wouldn't call myself a new hunter maybe just a young one, I am not originally from Alberta, thus resorting to the internet for hunting assistance, but i have been here for just over 10 years now and call Edmonton home.

I have an 11 month old black lab that I am training for upland game birds, he is force fetched and shows great potential. unfortunately he is lacking in exposure to live birds and actual field work. I am wondering if taking him out to one of the pheasant release sites east of the city is worth the time this late in the year? I have a couple spots west of the city where I can flush maybe 5 sharpies on a good day but it's a crap shoot.

any info you have on the release sites east Edmonton this late in the year would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:47 PM

The releases were completed at the Northern sites over two weeks ago, and you would be very fortunate to find any pheasants now.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:28 AM

nov 19 was the last release according to the web site how ever that being said we put up 4 roosters yesterday at a release site there could be some left i would give it a try if nothing else its more time in the field for you and your dog .
Old 11-30-2016, 09:54 AM

They really get shot out that fast? Makes me wonder what the point of it is.

My logic was to try the registered site in hopes the 2 pm cut off had deterred some of the hunters earlier in the season.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:25 AM

If you hunt the more popular release sites on a regular basis, it's obvious when a release occurs. The frequency of shots goes from a few shots per hour to shots pretty much every few minutes, for the next half hour or so. In most cases,half the birds are likely dead the day of the release. Within a few days the birds are already getting scarce. Later in the season when the weather gets colder, and most people start hunting big game, the situation changes a bit, but within a week, most of the birds have either been killed by hunters, or coyotes or hawks, or they have left the release site. You may still find some stragglers that the other hunters didn't find, or a bird or two that left the site and returned, but for the most part, your odds of finding pheasants a couple of weeks after the last release aren't good.
As for the purpose of the release sites, they don't exist to try and establish wild populations, they exist to provide hunting opportunity for the people that don't live close to wild populations of pheasants. It's pretty much like fishing for stocked trout.
As for training young dogs, the release sites provide a great place to get the dog a lot of exposure to birds , in a short time. I enjoyed watching the changes in my own pup from the first exposures to birds, to the later exposures where the pup was figuring out how to hunt the birds. And not only pups benefit, but I met a few AO members that had their mature dogs out for the time this fall.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-30-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the info Elk. I have read a couple threads now about the release sites and people have some pretty strong opinions both ways.
Personally I think it would be pretty great if the program could be adapted to supplement a wild population and provide the experience. But I understand this is an easier thing to say than to do.

Are there wild population's as far north as Edmonton or are they all down south? Not asking for an actual location just wondering if it's worth looking for them up here.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL. T-HAM View Post
Thanks for the info Elk. I have read a couple threads now about the release sites and people have some pretty strong opinions both ways.
Personally I think it would be pretty great if the program could be adapted to supplement a wild population and provide the experience. But I understand this is an easier thing to say than to do.

Are there wild population's as far north as Edmonton or are they all down south? Not asking for an actual location just wondering if it's worth looking for them up here.
I think Buffalo Lake is the closest...not all of them get pounded out, might still be some roosters that didn't get shot.

LC
Old 11-30-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL. T-HAM View Post

You may find the odd bird, but habitat and climate essentially dictate that even Calgary may be too far north to sustain wild pheasant populations.

Don't worry about naysayers. Use the pheasant release sites for an enjoyable hunting opportunity otherwise not available, and a good place to get your dog on birds.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the help everybody. I'm gonna try Buffalo this weekend and see whats doin. like I said my other spots aren't overly productive anyway so It's not going to bother me if I get skunked.

and Riker enjoys it regardless haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160610_195356.jpg (35.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-03-2016, 08:39 PM

You guys called it. not a pheasant to be found at the Buffalo Lake site. saw a nice whitetail buck by the lake though... three days late for that one.

Tags
bird dog hunting, pheasant release, pheasants, upland game birds