Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 09:19 PM

Default First time sharing pictures, go easy on me. BIG NSR PIKE!

Here's some pictures from my recent NSR trip. Nice fat Walleye and that giant gator!

10 bucks to the first guy who guesses what I caught it on! (not bait )
Old 08-14-2017, 09:23 PM

Nice walleye and pike , NSR is a great fishery if you have time and patience
Old 08-14-2017, 09:26 PM

5 of diamonds

How did you get the pictures up?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-14-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Nice walleye and pike , NSR is a great fishery if you have time and patience
Agree you need patience. I have had my days where all I catch is maybe 1 or 2 gold eye.

Other days I go for a couple hours and get a pile of fat, healthy walleye as well as a tank of a pike!

I want to catch a sturgeon so bad. I have seen them jump near the spot I'm fishing.

Speaking of spots, who can guess the section of the river I'm fishing? (its inside Edmonton city limits...)

And Ken7 I used IMGUR. I just click "new post" , add photos, in the top right corner of the photo you click "Get Share Tags" and copy the BBcode used in forums. Really simple and thanks to PineLakePerch for showing me!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 PM

Also, it wasn't a five of diamonds! Or any spoon for that matter...
Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
Agree you need patience. I have had my days where all I catch is maybe 1 or 2 gold eye.

Other days I go for a couple hours and get a pile of fat, healthy walleye as well as a tank of a pike!

I want to catch a sturgeon so bad. I have seen them jump near the spot I'm fishing.

Speaking of spots, who can guess the section of the river I'm fishing? (its inside Edmonton city limits...)

And Ken7 I used IMGUR. I just click "new post" , add photos, in the top right corner of the photo you click "Get Share Tags" and copy the BBcode used in forums. Really simple and thanks to PineLakePerch for showing me!
goldbar wwtp discharge outfall?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:18 PM

Nice pike for downtown edmonton bud. Don't insult the species by calling that a giant please tho. Congrats on the catch either way. Keep at er and you will get one 10 inches longer and 15 pounds heavier.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Nice pike for downtown edmonton bud. Don't insult the species by calling that a giant please tho. Congrats on the catch either way. Keep at er and you will get one 10 inches longer and 15 pounds heavier.
She's a giant for what I've seen from the river in this area at least. So a "relative giant" is maybe the term that fits best.

Head up north and this fish is slot size average on some lakes ;-)

Heck you can pull 3 fish over 36" out of Seibert in a single afternoon, just don't let anyone know I told you...

....ooops.

BTW it wasn't downtown
Old 08-14-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
goldbar wwtp discharge outfall?
Good guess. You're getting warmer. Not that specific outflow, but a different one.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:42 PM

Nice pike. I guess you caught it with a tiny jighead tail or a small spinner. I guess you are at Rundle park.

I am a firm believer that there are 30+ lb. pike in the NSR. One time while fishing I was releasing a 1 lb. mooneye while standing in the water next to the heavy current and a slow edge. My legs were creating a small breaker and I was reviving the mooneye. The moment I let the mooneye go a really big pike came out of the heavy current and inhaled the mooneye....less than a foot in front of me. It was fast like a shark when it inhaled that mooneye. The brute pike stayed in the current breaker my legs were creating for 10 seconds and then casually swam back into the heavy current. I am sure that pike was all of 30 lbs..

Spooked me pretty good because I was in the water up to my crotch about 15 yards from shore. It was in September and the water was low and clear. My biggest NSR pike was caught upstream of Devon 8 years ago. 27 lb and change.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-14-2017, 11:10 PM

In reply to RedBullets: 27 pound pike?! nice dude! I believe there are some big pike in the NSR for sure.

I didn't have a boat grip to weigh it but my biggest pike (from north wabasca area) was 15 pound range and 40" caught back in 2013. This fish here is probably the second or third biggest Pike I've ever caught, and on a walleye set up, of course!

I would love to catch a 20 pounder one day. I've seen one weighed in the same boat as me though, so I know what they look like at least :-)

And a Sturgeon!! Definitely need to catch one of those.

BTW You're bang on with the small jig.

I was using a 3" all black mr. twister plastic grub, unscented. the jighead I used was one of the ones that has the little flasher hanging off the bottom, adds a nice shine and vibration that helps the fish find your lure in the muddy North Sask.

Story of the actual catch:

I'm jigging walleye all afternoon, catching a bunch in the range of the first photo earlyin the morning. Nothing huge but some nice chubby ones. The bite slowed down in the mid afternoon, so I headed over to the deepest hole of this stretch figuring they are trying to get away from the heat.

This hole in front of the outflow is maybe 8 or 10 feet deep. Big current is separated from the hole by a big concrete wall that comes out into the river maybe 8 feet or so. Creates a nice current break and a huge, 20 foot eddy to the left of the hole.

So anyways, i toss the jig down into this hole and as she sinks my line goes slack. No tap, just suddenly slack line. Thinking I hit bottom or maybe a walleye has slurped up my jig on the fall I quickly popped it up, hoping to set the hook or trigger a bite if it was just the bottom.

I pop it up and nothing but weight. I'm using a 7' Shimano Convergence, not a very stout rod at all. Excellent for walleye jigging but you can understand this rod went into full bend immediately.

First thought: I had snagged a log. What ever it was didn't move right away. It was just pure weight. So i tighten my drag maybe 2 clicks and give it another tug...this time it tugged back.

It goes ballistic, ripping around this hole, into the eddy, into the current break, out into the main current and around the side of the outflow to the pebble beach where she thrashed around in maybe 2 feet of water. I reach down and try and grab her behind the head. The second I touch her back she explodes away from me, I almost lose my rod and fall off the concrete ledge I'm standing on. She goes for another couple mins out in the main river before turning on her side and coming in nicely. Jig popped out real easy, I had just hooked her in the tip of the nose! (Important, because I was only using a 15 pound Flourocarbon leader, I no longer use the steel ones in the first photo of the walleye which is actually an older photo) If she had completely inhaled my jig, I would have lost her for sure while she was thrashing around. Had tape measure ready to go and she was back in the water in just over a minute.

I stood with her in the current and revived her for probably 2 whole minutes. Didn't let go until she was kicking strong, she took off right to the deep hole where she's probably still hanging out right now.

Last edited by NSR Fisher; 08-14-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:22 PM

Thats the worst possible way to hold a pike idk if u kept that fish or whatever but holding it verticaly and by the gills is not the best option if u plan to release that fish.
If youre using ur phone just put it to selfie mode set it to a ten second timer and set it somewhere where you can see urself press the button and lift up the fish out of the water.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
Thats the worst possible way to hold a pike idk if u kept that fish or whatever but holding it verticaly and by the gills is not the best option if u plan to release that fish.
If youre using ur phone just put it to selfie mode set it to a ten second timer and set it somewhere where you can see urself press the button and lift up the fish out of the water.
I'm actually holding her right behind the head, gripping her spine. All the weight was off her gills and directly on her head.

So many guys reach right in front there and hold all the weight on her gill plates. That wasn't what I was doing, though a couple fingers did slide around her head and in there. But the weight was all on her spine.

The biggest risk in lifting like this is depositing bacteria from your fingernails into their gills, and I agree I need to avoid that in the future. But the weight was not on her gills despite a stray finger or two. This is a spine grip that I learned actually calms them down. Its a big hunk of bone right behind their head that is probably the best place to grip a pike. If you're not a fumbling idiot like me, you can grab them good with the gill plate closed, so no errant fingers are possible.

I admit it wasn't perfect, but I also wasn't thinking straight. I never usually handle fish like this for pictures but this was a special occasion. She was up in the air for a split second, before laying down nicely. I splashed her down with water while I got the measurement, she was out of water for just over a minute total.

I know it looks bad in that one picture but she went back in the water completely safe and sound! Not even a drop of blood

I stayed with her in the current even though she wasn't out of water very long. She took off kicking strong, didn't roll on her side after release or display any signs of stress.

Trust me, I share your concern for the fish and I always try my best to be careful! And I don't mind one bit you pointing out that this isn't an ideal way to handle them. One time thing I promise

Last edited by NSR Fisher; 08-14-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:49 PM

Congrats on a great day of fishing. That walleye looks very healthy too.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 PM

Pretty much, i've never caught a fish of this size on a walleye set up from shore inside the city. To say it was a surprise is quite the understatement.

But rest assured she went back in much better condition than a lot of fish that are "released" into the river around here, with guys stepping on them trying to get them to stop flopping and what not.

I was legit shaking the whole time this was happening. I thought the whole time I was going to lose her. As I said, being the genius I am I decided to switch to a lighter flourocarbon for walleye jigging. (the pic with the steel leader is much older, was just using it as comparison for the average fish i catch from this spot. they are almost cookie cutter like that here)

Rest assured when I fish the river I'm bring my spool of 30lb flouro for leader material from now on hahaha. Picky walleyes be damned, there are slough sharks around need to be prepared and then you can avoid the panic stricken look that I'm rocking in the selfie.

Seriously that dumb gaping mouth I have in this photo is probably the most embarrassing facial expression I've ever shared publicly lmao. I look like such a schmuck.

Last edited by NSR Fisher; 08-15-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Pretty much, i've never caught a fish of this size on a walleye set up from shore inside the city. To say it was a surprise is quite the understatement.

But rest assured she went back in much better condition than a lot of fish that are "released" into the river around here, with guys stepping on them trying to get them to stop flopping and what not.

I was legit shaking the whole time this was happening. I thought the whole time I was going to lose her. As I said, being the genius I am I decided to switch to a lighter flourocarbon for walleye jigging. (the pic with the steel leader is much older, was just using it as comparison for the average fish i catch from this spot. they are almost cookie cutter like that here)

Rest assured when I fish the river I'm bring my spool of 30lb flouro for leader material from now on hahaha. Picky walleyes be damned, there are slough sharks around need to be prepared and then you can avoid the panic stricken look that I'm rocking in the selfie.

Seriously that dumb gaping mouth I have in this photo is probably the most embarrassing facial expression I've ever shared publicly lmao. I look like such a schmuck.
Ya but the schmuck in the picture is catching...enjoying the outdoors too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-15-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ya but the schmuck in the picture is catching...enjoying the outdoors too.
Thank you :-) I figured if I made fun of myself enough I would beat everyone to the punch so there's no longer a point in getting their shots in haha.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:17 AM

Nice fish! And from the sounds of it a pretty nice fight.

Congrats
Old 08-15-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:

LOL! It's all good. Hard taking a selfie...I hate that word..and holding up a fish like that.

They are awesome catches. Congrats!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:53 AM

I wonder why I can't see the pictures? They just show up as little boxes. click show pictures, but nothing happens....

Spruce
Old 08-15-2017, 10:05 AM

Is BBcode enabled on your browser?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
10 bucks to the first guy who guesses what I caught it on! (not bait )
A fishing rod.

PM me for where you can send the money.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
A fishing rod.

PM me for where you can send the money.
You are wrong too... he caught it on a HOOK....

Same pm applies...lol
Old 08-15-2017, 11:50 AM

Haha, if you read above someone already guessed the lure I was using. And yes you both are technically correct, I used both a hook and a rod!

You are ineligible for the prize though because Bullets was quicker on the draw.

Nobody has guessed the exact spot yet.

I'll give another hint... down river of whitemud but upstream of goldbar.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:53 AM

That's a good fish.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:59 AM

For a 10 minute drive from my house, its definitely a nice fish.

I'm planning a trip with FazeTimid to go up north and hopefully get one bigger than this!

If you want a great hint at where I am fishing, watch FazeTimid's North Sask River video with the jumping sturgeon. I caught this pike at the exact outflow he catches a small hammer handle in the video. Exact spot he was standing actually haha.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:

I'm planning a trip with FazeTimid to go up north and hopefully get one bigger than this!

If you want a great hint at where I am fishing, watch FazeTimid's North Sask River video with the jumping sturgeon. I caught this pike at the exact outflow he catches a small hammer handle in the video. Exact spot he was standing actually haha.
I still can't believe you caught that fish in the in the same spot i was fishing at in this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPIZl84JQA

Using a similar setup no less!

I'm so jealous! But if things work out Ben and I will catch a couple Pike as big as this beauty soon enough!
Old 08-15-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:

I always wanted to try that spot. The stairs are quite the walk up though
Old 08-15-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
Decent pike.
I do agree with Dragless tho. That's not the way to hold them.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
I always wanted to try that spot. The stairs are quite the walk up though
No stairs down to this spot, though you have to walk down a pretty long winding path.

You're getting warmer I believe. If the spot with stairs is that you're thinking of is the same one I'm thinking of, you're not far off with your guess. A bit further upstream from Fort Edmonton park though, upstream of the creek too. But you're in the neighborhood :-)

It's rather close to a few different popular spots, kind of nestled away from them at the same time.

It's a very quiet spot with literally nobody coming down there. Maybe one other younger guy came down to check it out one day but it's nice and private for the most part. Not easy to access. :-)

If you want specific directions, and you're polite about it, I can give you exact directions to this spot. You really gotta convince me you won't just give it away though to all your friends. I would like to keep it quiet.