Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 08:53 PM

Thumbs up Lets talk ocean boats

I got a few PM's asking why I chose what I did, and if a particular boat would be seaworthy. While I have had boats for over 20 years, ocean-going vessels are a new venture for me. I have only owned one for 3 seasons, and have only fished salt 5 seasons. The first 2 were 3 and 4 day trips. Before I bought I looked at countless boats for months, drove to Grand Prairie to look at 1, and several others in Alberta. I finally decided on the Seaswirl brand after reading incredible reviews on them, one of them being that they are 'unsinkable' due to their construction. I am not sure I believe that, but short of a yacht in the millions of dollars I would not buy anything but a Seaswirl again. Mine is a Striper 2601 inboard.

(This is what I sent to another member in PM)
I looked into what was the best for where I wanted to go, either aluminum or fibreglass.
I read and heard that while aluminum has a lot of benefit especially ease and ability to move quick due to the weight, fibreglass seems to be the better boat on big water. I like to go out when I am there, 28 miles plus daily. If the wind blows up fast, and the waves build I want a big heavy boat with a read deep V. I looked at a lot of boats before I bought, and was sold on the Seaswirl line. They are very similar to trophy and Grady-white. Mine is a 2601, which is 26' long with a 8' beam. I have been in some awful heavy water, and actually the first time I went out I was a bit nervous, I looked to my buddy and said 'I am not sure what to do' to which he replied, 'the boat does'. He was right. The seaswirl striper 2601 is an amazing machine. I get compliments on it everywhere I go. I have a buddy that has had a 2301 striper for 10 years, this was his last year with it. He sold it for a few thousand more than what he paid for it and is buying a brand new boat for spring. I'm not sure you can do that with aluminum. I sometimes wish I had gone with a 2901, but that is just twofootitis. You always want 2 more feet. I am very happy with the 2601, with the company of another boat or 2 I would go 80 miles offshore to Haida Gwai. I would not do that with a 2101 or 2301 though. I think 26' is just about perfect for Rupert or Hardy. Rupert is HUGE, and after 5 years fishing there I continually hear of new amazing places to try.
I love inboards, others are outboard fans. If I had the choice and unlimited money to buy new I would buy a 2901 with twin 250 outboards or 300's, but the fuel burn would hurt. With my 300hp Merc inboard, bravo 3 dual prop I get about 3mpg cruising, which is awesome out there apparently. My boat will do 45 mph on a nice calm day, but of course mileage drops off when you are flying.
I run Lowrance radar, lowrance and humminbird electronics. I have 3 units, 1 for chart plotter, one for fish finder and radar, and a backup chart plotter. I am getting to where I could find my way back during the day, but if I had to fix something and had to run back at night I could find the coast, which of course is East but then north or south?

I found mine in Quebec on Kijiji by accident, was going to go to West Virginia to get one much the same. It was an amazing deal, many thousand $ cheaper than out west. I just missed a BEAUTIFUL 2012 2601 WA with arctic package (hardglass windows and cabin).

I towed it back from Quebec, and have towed it to Rupert and back 5 times. If you have a real good diesel (cough FORD cough) 3/4 or 1 ton you don't know its there.

PLEASE add your own insight and personal information about your boats. Any information is great.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-14-2017, 09:18 PM

Well I've owned many ocean boats over the years and one of my favourite was my 2005 Seaswirl Striper 2605 .Great looking, Very stable, great ride!! And I also had a 5.0 litre inboard, with a Volvo/Pentax duo prop leg.I had many compliments on my Striper,but wanted something a little more enclosed. I sold it a few years ago to a guy who fishes out of Rupert. I looked for at 29' but could find nothin at the time, so ended up purchasing a Kingfisher 3025 Destination. I must admit it's beautiful boat that rides like a dream and is very stable, as it has a 9' 6" beam. That extra width does make a difference!!, but unfortunately I have 2footitus again and want to go bigger!!! Will be selling as soon as I get back from Salmon Fishing in September!!
Again , cheers on your Striper!!!!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 PM

Pictures. We need pictures!!

Soon as I can figure out how without photobucket I will add some, please do the same!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 PM

Buddy helping me getting ready to take the hard top off to put in the garage last winter

Old 08-15-2017, 08:31 AM

That boat right there is exactly what I want.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:51 AM

Default Lets talk ocean boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclebud View Post
Well I've owned many ocean boats over the years and one of my favourite was my 2005 Seaswirl Striper 2605 .Great looking, Very stable, great ride!! And I also had a 5.0 litre inboard, with a Volvo/Pentax duo prop leg.I had many compliments on my Striper,but wanted something a little more enclosed. I sold it a few years ago to a guy who fishes out of Rupert. I looked for at 29' but could find nothin at the time, so ended up purchasing a Kingfisher 3025 Destination. I must admit it's beautiful boat that rides like a dream and is very stable, as it has a 9' 6" beam. That extra width does make a difference!!, but unfortunately I have 2footitus again and want to go bigger!!! Will be selling as soon as I get back from Salmon Fishing in September!!

Again , cheers on your Striper!!!!

Uncle bud!! Hopefully I see ya out there next week!!

I bought this boat last year and love it. It's a 2013 2425 kingfisher experience. I've got a 200hp merc verado as my main and a 15 horse mercy pro kicker which I drive from the real helm while trolling. I'm running Lowrance HDS9 for my chart plotter sounder and sonar. Looking into getting another lowrance for the rear helm but am leaning towards just getting the Lowrance gofree wifi module and linking my phone and tablet up to it. I'm not using the Scotty rod holders that are attached to the downriggers anymore though. I had one crack and almost lost my rod and reel. I've got the Scotty orcas that are mounted to the hull now which I prefer 1000 times better. Less stress on the rods and also on myself loosing 800$ set ups.

Do listen to unclebud about the twofootitis lol it's definitely a condition most boat owners develop lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2017, 02:59 PM

Ken - your boat is outstanding, more than any man can wish for.

I have fished out of a Grady White 330 Express powered by twin 300's Yamahas a few times and it was a spectacular boat. I'm pretty sure the Grady's are significantly wider (maybe 11' or 12') wide so I'm sure you trade the added stability for worse fuel economy. This thing is stable and smooth but it's a pig on fuel - I watched in horror every time we stopped to fuel up.

At the end of the day, I found you have to buy quality boats, like your SeaSwirl, a Grady, Kingfisher or even on the smaller side like a Lund and you won't be disappointed. Layout and how you fish and use your boat is a huge factor not to be overlooked when dropping that kind of money.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcrobb12 View Post

I bought this boat last year and love it. It's a 2013 2425 kingfisher experience. I've got a 200hp merc verado as my main and a 15 horse mercy pro kicker which I drive from the real helm while trolling. I'm running Lowrance HDS9 for my chart plotter sounder and sonar. Looking into getting another lowrance for the rear helm but am leaning towards just getting the Lowrance gofree wifi module and linking my phone and tablet up to it. I'm not using the Scotty rod holders that are attached to the downriggers anymore though. I had one crack and almost lost my rod and reel. I've got the Scotty orcas that are mounted to the hull now which I prefer 1000 times better. Less stress on the rods and also on myself loosing 800$ set ups.

Do listen to unclebud about the twofootitis lol it's definitely a condition most boat owners develop lol

gorgeous rig!!!

Old 08-15-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Ken - your boat is outstanding, more than any man can wish for.

I have fished out of a Grady White 330 Express powered by twin 300's Yamahas a few times and it was a spectacular boat. I'm pretty sure the Grady's are significantly wider (maybe 11' or 12') wide so I'm sure you trade the added stability for worse fuel economy. This thing is stable and smooth but it's a pig on fuel - I watched in horror every time we stopped to fuel up.

At the end of the day, I found you have to buy quality boats, like your SeaSwirl, a Grady, Kingfisher or even on the smaller side like a Lund and you won't be disappointed. Layout and how you fish and use your boat is a huge factor not to be overlooked when dropping that kind of money.
Thank you! I absolutely love it. I just sometimes wish I had bought one with a hard cabin, the trade off though is far less headroom and no overhead radio box, both of which I would not be without on any boat. If I can't stand in the boat I don't want it.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:21 PM

Marty:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/Powe...around+I%252FO

Old 08-15-2017, 05:45 PM

Nice rigs guys ! Always a joy to have a good boat under you. Here is a 28 I ran out of Port Alberni for quite a few years. It is an older Fiberform Sportfisherman Flybridge powered by twin 5.0 Mercruisers . You are right about the two footitis. I started at 19ft then to 24 then 28 and finally to zero.. If I did it again I would stay with a 28 .. or maybe a 30 .
Enjoy your trips to the fullest. There's never enough of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Salavee at Haggards Cove (800x600).jpg (76.8 KB, 159 views)
Old 08-15-2017, 09:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

dmcrobb12 your boat looks great!!! And yes we will see you this weekend!!
Hope to do Haida Gwaii with you next year!!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclebud View Post
dmcrobb12 your boat looks great!!! And yes we will see you this weekend!!

Hope to do Haida Gwaii with you next year!!

Thanks!!
I'm still waiting to hear if I can get it off work! If I don't come I'm letting my brother and uncle take the boat! You gotta come next year you won't regret it. My cousin is down there right now and they're slaying them

Old 08-16-2017, 07:23 AM

Nice rigs guys.
We started on the ocean with a 14ft lund and a 25hp merc. Moved up to a 19 ft than a 22ft cuddy. With the cuddy we spent a few nights each trip camping out on the hook and like it so much we upgraded to a Kingfisher 2525 Weekender with a 250 Yamaha
We wanted an rv on the water and still easy to tow. The Kingfisher has everything we wanted. Now the only time we are at the marina is to fill her up. I sold the 19ft and the 22ft both welded aluminium boats for what i paid for them after using them for years
Old 08-16-2017, 07:55 AM
AO Sponsor

Interesting post again people! Ya, I know what these awesome boats are about, not in the budget for me. I've thought about buying a cheaper boat like a bayliner, but then I'm not sure how far out one dare go with such, obviously a recreational boat. The big walkaround boats, ya, stable dependable platforms, safe, comfortable on the big waves etc. but spendy, meanwhile, if a guy is going to go out, surely can't cheap out... only one life and surely the ocean is serious business, and I'm just an ignorant prairie dweller for now, only been on the ocean 4 trips, soon to be 5. I have seen nothing of the ocean yet, it's perils etc. I've been out on flat water every time so far.

What can one get done in a bayliner?

Nice boats people! That Seaswirl looks fine! Oh wait, the Kingfisher looks fine too! Salavee, your boat looks like a good time, family would enjoy yours.

45 mph... holy smokes!!! With a machine that size! See I'm as ignorant as they come!

Maybe the answer is to buy an older boat, get the marine survey done to ensure the hull is sound and replace the motor and drive? Sounds economical on an inboard, but it seems like the charter guys are running two outboards. Probably twice as likely to make it back that way? And much more $$$???

Last edited by Marty S; 08-16-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 AM

Doing a mill and leg swap is very pricey Marty. I do not recommend that. You are better off finding a good used unit with some hours on it. They are out there.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Interesting post again people! Ya, I know what these awesome boats are about, not in the budget for me. I've thought about buying a cheaper boat like a bayliner, but then I'm not sure how far out one dare go with such, obviously a recreational boat. The big walkaround boats, ya, stable dependable platforms, safe, comfortable on the big waves etc. but spendy, meanwhile, if a guy is going to go out, surely can't cheap out... only one life and surely the ocean is serious business, and I'm just an ignorant prairie dweller for now, only been on the ocean 4 trips, soon to be 5. I have seen nothing of the ocean yet, it's perils etc. I've been out on flat water every time so far.

What can one get done in a bayliner?

Nice boats people! That Seaswirl looks fine! Oh wait, the Kingfisher looks fine too! Salavee, your boat looks like a good time, family would enjoy yours.

45 mph... holy smokes!!! With a machine that size! See I'm as ignorant as they come!

Maybe the answer is to buy an older boat, get the marine survey done to ensure the hull is sound and replace the motor and drive? Sounds economical on an inboard, but it seems like the charter guys are running two outboards. Probably twice as likely to make it back that way? And much more $$$???
Everything can be done with a Bayliner.

You don't have to go way off shore to catch salmon, even halibut can be caught close to shore, once you find the honey hole. We caught a lot of salmon in our 14 ft boat, Bamfield was our place to go for protected fishing in the small boat.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks!!
I'm still waiting to hear if I can get it off work! If I don't come I'm letting my brother and uncle take the boat! You gotta come next year you won't regret it. My cousin is down there right now and they're slaying them

Well I hope you can come. If not we will take your bro and uncle to the "outer banks"!!!
Cody and I are building a boat for Haida Gwaii as we speak!! It will be finished by spring 2018. Will show you a few photos when we see you!!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 PM

This is what I'm going to run on the ocean, 2025 Discovery, 175 yamaha, 9.9. I wanted something to still be able to lake fish. Has the soft top so we can stay dry. I'll have to pick my days possibly a bit more than the others but you'll see me out a ways off PR.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:25 PM

Nice boats you guys, that's what dreams are made of right there.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_doornenbal View Post
This is what I'm going to run on the ocean, 2025 Discovery, 175 yamaha, 9.9. I wanted something to still be able to lake fish. Has the soft top so we can stay dry. I'll have to pick my days possibly a bit more than the others but you'll see me out a ways off PR.

You'll do more than alright. I basically have the twin to your boat but a Thunderjet. I bought this boat to serve dual purpose, just like you.

You might want to consider adding a Fish Tower and outfit it with a radar.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
You'll do more than alright. I basically have the twin to your boat but a Thunderjet. I bought this boat to serve dual purpose, just like you.

You might want to consider adding a Fish Tower and outfit it with a radar.

Yeah that's on the wish list, just in a year or two. Will be carful on the days we go out on and head in with any form of fog
Old 08-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Banned

Some nice rigs in this thread!!
Old 08-17-2017, 06:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Everything can be done with a Bayliner.

You don't have to go way off shore to catch salmon, even halibut can be caught close to shore, once you find the honey hole. We caught a lot of salmon in our 14 ft boat, Bamfield was our place to go for protected fishing in the small boat.
image.jpg

Yup

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-18-2017, 08:14 AM

Man, I have huge boat envy...
They are all real nice and Ken's and dm's are dream boats. Those are fishing machines!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Man, I have huge boat envy...
They are all real nice and Ken's and dm's are dream boats. Those are fishing machines!
They sure are!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...