Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-13-2017, 07:46 AM

Question Which vise do you use?

I am still just starting out in the fly tying world, I am currently using a Griffin Spider vise. I am thinking of upgrading and was hoping to get some recommendations.

Looking for the "unsung hero" something easily adjustable and will hold your hook tight (most likely a cam style vise). Rotates and travels well. I am currently using a computer bag as my fly tying kit since I tie most of my flies at work on the weekend but hope to set up a work station at home to do some tying there too.

Let me know what you think

Last edited by millsboy79; 08-13-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 AM

What is the problem with the vise you are currently using? I have been using a Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose for the past 10 years plus. No issues yet with hook holding power (size 20 to size 2/0), fully rotating and I use it with both a clamp mount and a pedestal I sometimes dream of having a Nor-vise but there is no way I can justify the money.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:03 AM

I use an old Thompson A vise. It's over 35 years old, I've change the cam pin I don't know how many times the cam washer has been replaced twice, the collet has a groove wore into it, but it still chugs along. The only mod I made to it was to build a metal base for it when it was new. I don't tie enough anymore to warrant a new vice although I watch the new developments with interest.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-13-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
What is the problem with the vise you are currently using? I have been using a Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose for the past 10 years plus. No issues yet with hook holding power (size 20 to size 2/0), fully rotating and I use it with both a clamp mount and a pedestal I sometimes dream of having a Nor-vise but there is no way I can justify the money.
Maybe it is because I have never used anything else but I feel the shortcomings are the rubber gaskets/orings between each connection, it also is how the jaws clamp.

I find when I attempt to use the rotation feature of the vise it simply unscrews instead of rotating, and if I tighten if more then it wont rotate at all.

The same issue when tying flies, I have had some hook rotate in the jaws no matter how tight it is. I was actually looking at the Griffin Odyssey same nice narrow profile that fits in my bag well and solves the issues I have with the entry level one.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Maybe it is because I have never used anything else but I feel the shortcomings are the rubber gaskets/orings between each connection, it also is how the jaws clamp.
I have the same O-rings on my vise that it came with 10+ years ago. I tie 500+ flies a year.

Quote:
I find when I attempt to use the rotation feature of the vise it simply unscrews instead of rotating, and if I tighten if more then it wont rotate at all.
The Blackfoot Mongoose has no problem with rotation (I use this feature whenever wrapping dubbing loops, ribbing, hackle, etc.)

Quote:
The same issue when tying flies, I have had some hook rotate in the jaws no matter how tight it is. I was actually looking at the Griffin Odyssey same nice narrow profile that fits in my bag well and solves the issues I have with the entry level one.
I don't have a cam-operated model but I the jaws hold all flies I have tied very securely. I find that occasionally backing off the lower knob until the jaws are once again parallel before tightening the upper knob helps with holding power. This model is as narrow in profile as any of the Griffin models. Comes in about $60 US below the Odyssey.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:13 PM

I have multiple vises.I use the nor vise mostly,because of the narrow pt.jaws.Hardly use it for it's spinning function.I like Piker Golf still have a Thompson A .Which is my traveller.Got regal,pedestal type for sale...
Old 08-13-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I have the same O-rings on my vise that it came with 10+ years ago. I tie 500+ flies a year.

The Blackfoot Mongoose has no problem with rotation (I use this feature whenever wrapping dubbing loops, ribbing, hackle, etc.)

I don't have a cam-operated model but I the jaws hold all flies I have tied very securely. I find that occasionally backing off the lower knob until the jaws are once again parallel before tightening the upper knob helps with holding power. This model is as narrow in profile as any of the Griffin models. Comes in about $60 US below the Odyssey.
Sounds like I just need to learn to properly use the vise I have.

Do the orings get squeezed out between the joints? Seems like it would defeat the purpose of the rubber if they just get squeezed out.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:47 PM

Have owned several vices and have tied commercially. Started with a Universal in 64'. then a Traveller, a Regal, Norvice and my fav that I tie on most of the time is a Law.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-13-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:

I find that occasionally backing off the lower knob until the jaws are once again parallel before tightening the upper knob helps with holding power. This model is as narrow in profile as any of the Griffin models. Comes in about $60 US below the Odyssey.
This helped a lot ... Apparently I was not making the jaws parallel. I made this adjustment and it has made a big difference.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
This helped a lot ... Apparently I was not making the jaws parallel. I made this adjustment and it has made a big difference.

Thanks
Every time you change hook sizes you should adjust the jaws, which is very simple.
I have the same vise and tie everything from size 3/0 to 22 without a problem.
The jaws on the Griffin are very good.

Tags
fly tying