Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-17-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
First off Jeff, Im totally on your side. I think this is BS and an absolutely sustainable hunt.
But I think your numbers of 1-2% of revenue are way off.
Even if you ran a good area and hunted one grizz a year at say 18K a hunt youd need to gross well over 1.8 million a year to only lose 1-2% revenue.
Thats ludacris.
If you can confirm those numbers to be true tell Harry McCowan to look out, ill be putting an offer in on everything he has listed.
1-2% of $18,000.00 is actually only 180,000.00 not 1.8 million. He is likely correct thinking it will not affect outfitter as much as we think. The coastal outfitter will definitely take a big hit.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
1-2% of $18,000.00 is actually only 180,000.00 not 1.8 million. He is likely correct thinking it will not affect outfitter as much as we think. The coastal outfitter will definitely take a big hit.
You struggled in math eh
Old 08-17-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
First off Jeff, Im totally on your side. I think this is BS and an absolutely sustainable hunt.
But I think your numbers of 1-2% of revenue are way off.
Even if you ran a good area and hunted one grizz a year at say 18K a hunt youd need to gross well over 1.8 million a year to only lose 1-2% revenue.
Thats ludacris.
If you can confirm those numbers to be true tell Harry McCowan to look out, ill be putting an offer in on everything he has listed.
I'm talking about net revenue, after expenses rem mag. On paper before expenses they are far more lucrative looking, but net revenue is low, for me anyway.
The coastal guys or the central easy access with high country guys likely do better.
In the fall we sell them as add ons only, and 1 each spring. It sure isn't what pays my bills that's for sure.
My biggest complaint is it helps sell moose and caribou hunts as an add on.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I'm talking about net revenue, after expenses rem mag. On paper before expenses they are far more lucrative looking, but net revenue is low, for me anyway.
The coastal guys or the central easy access with high country guys likely do better.
In the fall we sell them as add ons only, and 1 each spring. It sure isn't what pays my bills that's for sure.
My biggest complaint is it helps sell moose and caribou hunts as an add on.
Fair enough. I can see that side of it for sure.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Kakwa over run with grizz now, does not make any sense to add to the problem. Why do they not move them to Swanhills as they are trying to rebuild the grizz in that area.
Are swan hills grizzly a separate sub specie of grizz? Plains grizz? Thought I read that somewhere and if so, maybe the don't want to mix the bloodlines. Thought I read that a long while back.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:52 AM

The grizz bear study is proposing a grizz bear corridor between Fox city and Whitecourt so they will migrate from Kakwa country to Swan Hills. I guess they will not breed with the sub-species??
Old 08-18-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
The grizz bear study is proposing a grizz bear corridor between Fox city and Whitecourt so they will migrate from Kakwa country to Swan Hills. I guess they will not breed with the sub-species??
Don't know. You were wondering why they don't relocate them to swan hills. I only gave a possible explanation.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:17 AM

Here's some forum talk on the swan hills grizz.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=55401
Old 08-28-2017, 09:16 AM

Rob wrote a good article in this months AO on bad move of relocating this problem grizz to the Kakwa. It was a major petition by all greens around Calgary that forced F & W to take a big risk with this bear.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Rob wrote a good article in this months AO on bad move of relocating this problem grizz to the Kakwa. It was a major petition by all greens around Calgary that forced F & W to take a big risk with this bear.
Always wonder why we let a few idiots dictate policy. Can you say, Dead Bear Walking?

Grizz
Old 08-29-2017, 11:00 AM

Bob cat walks across a golf course in Calgary. Someone shouts cougar. They then evacuate the golf course for safety sake. These are the same people who want to let problem bears run around wild areas and kill some poor hiker.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Bob cat walks across a golf course in Calgary. Someone shouts cougar. They then evacuate the golf course for safety sake. These are the same people who want to let problem bears run around wild areas and kill some poor hiker.
Better yet, someone once reported a house cat as a cougar. Major hunt for that one.

Grizz