Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 05:06 PM

Default Wabamun Report

We were out at SW Wabamun last Saturday for 6 hours ... slooooow day, one 10 ish lb jack and one small walleye. Punched 20 - 25 holes and moved around. No one else seemed to be catching.

Will return there tomorrow (Sat) and post a report ... will try 3 - 8 PM for the evening bite.

Northern
Old 03-23-2018, 10:38 PM

what was the ice thickness and was there a lot of slush on it?
Old 03-24-2018, 07:28 AM

Ice was over 3 ft with no slush. Will see today and report back.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:51 AM

I’m out on the ice near the townsite right now. Our 3’ auger barely made it through the ice. No slush on the lake, just a thin crust of snow.

Been out since 8am and haven’t seen anything through the hole or on the sonar. Might have to move once my coffee supply runs out.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I’m out on the ice near the townsite right now. Our 3’ auger barely made it through the ice. No slush on the lake, just a thin crust of snow.

Been out since 8am and haven’t seen anything through the hole or on the sonar. Might have to move once my coffee supply runs out.
How did your day end up? We’re going out to Wab tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:52 PM

Default few

I was far from the crowds at townsite, dozen fish mix with skinny pike and small walleye whites seen but nothing would bite by 1100 I thought I was fishin in a bathrub, beautiful day though
Old 03-24-2018, 09:50 PM

Default Update

Had a hunch that maybe closer to dusk - there might be a bite.

Caught one 4 ish lb healthy jack around 4 and a walleye around 5:00 ... and waited and waited until 7 ish ... whamo.

The second largest jack I have ever caught through the ice (the largest was last year in the same spot) ... hit a jack rig (like a pickeral rig) with minnows and took off. It hit in 9 feet of total water ... with almost 4 ft of ice ... it was in 5 - 6 feet of liquid water under the ice ... quite shallow.

A great fight, brought him in ... or her ... not sure ... very healthy and fat and sucessfully put her back safe and sound.

Had to hit for home, but I suspect the bite might be coming on.

For the record ... I haven't seen these skinny jacks people are talking about at Wabamun, but maybe I was lucky.

_Northern
Old 03-25-2018, 05:49 PM

Was out today. Fished to the left of the Town of Wabamun boat launch. Had a great day. Lost count at 20 walleye and 5 pike. It was non stop action all day. Nothing of any real size but a lot of fun. I think I lost 5 lbs running between the jawjackers lol. Six more days left of the ice fishing season on Wab folks. Get out there and enjoy. Tight lines
Old 03-25-2018, 07:32 PM

Default not for me

tried 3 different spots today, it was super slow , 6 fish all day, guess that's fishing, least I didn't get skunked
Old 03-26-2018, 09:43 AM

Went out Saturday, started off the point at fallis with no luck In 3 hours, was seeing lots of whites but as usual they weren’t interested, made a move to another spot across the lake and caught 9 walleye and a white! Great day to be out, hope everyone can take advantage out on the ice this week, and it would be a good idea to bring a auger extension if you have it I was burying the muffler on the strikemaster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90F7490E-A474-4259-BEFA-D0933F9BAAD1.jpg (35.5 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:10 PM

Default all alone

peace and quiet on the lake today, to bad the fish didn't cooperate as much as other years in March, see ya next year Wab.