Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The media is only interested in one side of the story

The media is pursuing the same political agenda as the PM and the minister of justice. Both are pursuing this agenda for their own gain. They could care less about what Stanley and his family have gone through , because a group of drunken thieves decided to show up at their home. What is worse, is that they want to prevent the public from ever finding out what Stanley and his family went through.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
The side that won was the truthful side. Truth won over lies. That's a rarity these days, so be thankful.
History is most often written by the winners.

I for one would just like to read Stanley's account or an account of the events approved by Stanley. There is lots of noise around all sides of this and for me if Stanley gets his written account out there I would like to read it.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The media is pursuing the same political agenda as the PM and the minister of justice. Both are pursuing this agenda for their own gain. They could care less about what Stanley and his family have gone through , because a group of drunken thieves decided to show up at their home. What is worse, is that they want to prevent the public from ever finding out what Stanley and his family went through.
This may be your opinion and I can even see a reason why you may think that, but it is not fact.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
This may be your opinion and I can even see a reason why you may think that, but it is not fact.
So what is your version of "fact"? ās far as the media and Stanley is concerned?
Old 03-24-2018, 11:29 AM

Before the trial Stanley refused to make any comment that's understandable considering what was in his future. What I find puzzling is that nobody has approached him for an interview since ?

There is always two sides to a story seems Stanley's side is being held back.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
So what is your version of "fact"? ās far as the media and Stanley is concerned?
I make no claim on what is fact as some seem to state opinion and bias as fact.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Before the trial Stanley refused to make any comment that's understandable considering what was in his future. What I find puzzling is that nobody has approached him for an interview since ?

There is always two sides to a story seems Stanley's side is being held back.
Maybe they are holding back because they are not 100% sure that there will be no appeal and maybe because he still has charges before the court that have not yet been dealt with.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 AM

I believe the RCMP needed to show some level of competence by pushing the gun storage charges. They did look kind of clumsy with how they handled everything. No doubt got some pressure from down east for it.
If you read the OP's link it looks like the gun storage charges might not amount to much, possibly a fine or probation? Gerald Stanley's gun storage faux-pas really has very little to do with what happened, but the liberal anti-gun crowd is no doubt aghast, seeing-oh my god!-guns all over the house! Colten Boushie's friends and family are hoping to use it to draw attention to their agenda, no matter what penalty is ordered.
All I know is a prison sentence for Gerald Stanley would be very bad for him.
It was mentioned that the occupants of the car were excused of charges in exchange for their testimony...seems to me they were obliged to give that anyway.
No charges or restitution for them will at least save the taxpayers some $$. We'd be paying for their lawyers and then likely pay some more to keep them in jail.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I make no claim on what is fact as some seem to state opinion and bias as fact.
Are you the type of person who sees cbc as 'gospel'?
Old 03-25-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I make no claim on what is fact.
If you don't know what the facts are, how do you know that what I posted isn't fact?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
Are you the type of person who sees cbc as 'gospel'?
I am the type that never watches cbc.

I ragged on elk because he pushes his opinion and bias and never provides any fact. Sort of like he believes his opinion is fact

If someone says the sky is falling and is challenged on that and responds "where is the fact to say that it isn't falling?"

Well that just shows a person who does not know how to establish fact.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I am the type that never watches cbc.

I ragged on elk because he pushes his opinion and bias and never provides any fact. Sort of like he believes his opinion is fact

If someone says the sky is falling and is challenged on that and responds "where is the fact to say that it isn't falling?"

Well that just shows a person who does not know how to establish fact.
You been drinking this morning, C.R.?
Old 03-25-2018, 03:24 PM

Even 15 yrs ago this would have been such an easy case.
Drunk ******* tries stealing off a farm and gets shot by accident. That's all there is to this whole situation. It doesn't matter what race he was. He was being a drunk armed and aggressive dirt bag. It's not like Stanley went looking for this to happen
Old 03-25-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
No! Have you?

I do not drink, but I would have to put on eh11's tin hat.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltburner View Post
Even 15 yrs ago this would have been such an easy case.
Drunk ******* tries stealing off a farm and gets shot by accident. That's all there is to this whole situation. It doesn't matter what race he was. He was being a drunk armed and aggressive dirt bag. It's not like Stanley went looking for this to happen
That was how the jury decided this! I do not think that 15 years ago this would have been handled any different, especially since Jean Chretien, Allan Rock and Paul Martin were running the show in that time period.

Last edited by covey ridge; 03-25-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
No! Have you?

I do not drink, but I would have to put on eh11's tin hat.
I don't have a tin hat,but if I did, I would probably join you, supporting more restrictions on AR-15 rifles.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I don't have a tin hat,but if I did, I would probably join you, supporting more restrictions on AR-15 rifles.
I do not support more restrictions on AR-15 rifles. The are already restricted

BTW, just so you know, this thread is not about restrictions.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
By his responses you would think he is always drinking, but in fact he is just a constant pot stirrer. He just jumps from post to post stirring away, best to not pay attention to his drivel.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
By his responses you would think he is always drinking, but in fact he is just a constant pot stirrer. He just jumps from post to post stirring away, best to not pay attention to his drivel.
Obviously I have an opinion that differs from you and some others. I guess if you can not handle that you can call me a constant pot stirrer.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Obviously I have an opinion that differs from you and some others. I guess if you can not handle that you can call me a constant pot stirrer.
You are a pot stirrer, give it a rest, your crap is getting old.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
You are a pot stirrer, give it a rest, your crap is getting old.
Then you don't have to read my posts
Old 03-25-2018, 08:09 PM

These two events occurred roughly two months and 300 kms apart in rural western Canada. You don't think that the media is biased ?

The recent media attention on the trial of Gerald Stanley raised question on whether journalists and media organizations are providing objective reporting of serious crimes in Canada.

There was considerable media reporting on the death of Colten Boushie, an aboriginal man on August 9, 2016. The CBC has more than 200 online stories concerning his death and the subsequent trial of Gerald Stanley who was accused of murdering Bushie. The vast majority of the online news stories from all media outlets highlight the victim is aboriginal and the man charged is white. Many are suggestive the death of Boushie is about racism.

Contrast this to the death of Albert Wagner of Bonnyville, Alberta on Sunday, Oct. 16, 2016. Wagner was an 83 year old white man who was murdered in his home and his 1974 pickup truck was stolen. The pickup was found two days later on the Kehewin Cree Nation, about 20 km south of Bonnyville. The RCMP charged Frank Frenchman and Arizona Frenchman with first degree murder in the death of Wagner.

Every media outlet that reported on the Albert Wagner story has posted a picture of the victim. Not a single media outlet has posted a picture of either Frank Frenchman or Arizona Frenchman.

Only one media outlet has reported on the preliminary court appearance of Frank Frenchman and Arizona Frenchman. More than fifty media outlets have online stories of the trial of Gerald Stanley.

These two events occurred roughly two months and 300 kms apart in rural western Canada. Why have the media treated these two news stories so differently?

Was all the media interest and reporting because Coulten Boushie was aboriginal and Gerald Stanley is white and the lack of media interest and reporting because Albert Wagner was white and Frank Frenchman and Arizona Frenchman are aboriginal?

Apparently most of the media in Canada prefer to report on the death of a person who was trespassing, attempting to drive a vehicle with a blood alcohol level almost 4 times the legal driving limit and with a loaded firearm in the vehicle than a person who was killed in his own home.

There are a number of unanswered questions

The RCMP provided the media with a picture of Gerald Stanley when he was arrested. Did the RCMP not take photos of Frank Frenchman and Arizona Frenchman when they were arrested and charged? Did they not make those pictures available to the media? Or did the media not request the photos?

And of course racism did not play a role in which news story the media chose to report.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:23 PM
Banned

^

Nuff said.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your time is coming. This is an outdoor site and you will find that when members like yourself never have anything positive to contribute and are anti-gun constantly trashing gun owners, hunters etc. that eventually the mods will skid you. There is a huge difference between a difference of opinion and the constant trashing of gun owners regardless of the thread. I am done with you.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:46 PM

Default Difference of opinion

This is a forum. People are welcome to their own beliefs. Further, someone expressing beliefs that are different than yours does not make them a troll. Belittling others whose beliefs may be different than yours will not be tolerated. It ruins our forum when opinions cannot be expressed without people hurling insults.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4uRuss View Post
I am pretty sure he sold his farm because of what happened. I would not feel safe going back there as well.
Do you have any clue at all about the sale of farm land in Saskatchewan? It is not the same thing as selling a house in one neighborhood so you can move to another. A farm is a life-time of ownership, usually handed down to successive generations and is a way of life in a community where you belong.

Land sales are usually to "factory farms" and the sale generally does not include the home place. Houses and outbuildings are not high on the list of assets favoured by consortiums interested in commodity prices and the proximity of said lands in relation to their own. Around here it is typically a Hutterite colony that wants the tillable land only. Equipment and the accoutrements of farm life are sold by auction and the family lifestyle is over. Typically the house doesn't sell and becomes a rental "acreage" for a gentleman farmer to raise his organic chicken and lamb or a city family seeking solace from the crimes in the urban environment.

Where would Mr. and Mrs. Stanley go and what would become of their son if they forced themselves off their land? Get a job on an oil rig? A car wash? Go on welfare? These are farmers, not quitters.

Free
Old 03-26-2018, 06:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Do you have any clue at all about the sale of farm land in Saskatchewan? It is not the same thing as selling a house in one neighborhood so you can move to another. A farm is a life-time of ownership, usually handed down to successive generations and is a way of life in a community where you belong.

Land sales are usually to "factory farms" and the sale generally does not include the home place. Houses and outbuildings are not high on the list of assets favoured by consortiums interested in commodity prices and the proximity of said lands in relation to their own. Around here it is typically a Hutterite colony that wants the tillable land only. Equipment and the accoutrements of farm life are sold by auction and the family lifestyle is over. Typically the house doesn't sell and becomes a rental "acreage" for a gentleman farmer to raise his organic chicken and lamb or a city family seeking solace from the crimes in the urban environment.

Where would Mr. and Mrs. Stanley go and what would become of their son if they forced themselves off their land? Get a job on an oil rig? A car wash? Go on welfare? These are farmers, not quitters.

Free

His property was up for sale, including the home, not sure if it sold. See these links:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3636764/g...erty-glenside/

http://panow.com/article/694385/stan...shie-died-sale
Old 03-26-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Free
Not sure about Sask, but out here when the hutterites want the tillable land, they must take ALL the land, and they will, just to get the tillable land. The yard then sits vacant, and more often than not is flattened cropped over.
Can't see why Sask hutts would operate differently than Alberta colonies, but maybe you know something others don't
Old 03-26-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Free
So prove he is wrong.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:27 AM
Banned

Listed is not sold. And it looks like the consortiums are not interested. Moreover, there appears to be no interest at all as it is still listed on Remax and may remain so until the last cock crows in this great debate, nation wide.

Listed as an acreage (close to a 1/4 section), there appears to be no lentils or barley or canola on the place; more like a hobby farm and rural acreage than a crop producing commercial enterprise.

In that regard I may be mistaken. No Colony is interested (the trick being that particular farming group buys land that already abuts their properties or would prove to have some strategic advantage. With the news about it being in proximity to the Red Pheasant First Nation and the related stigma attached, it could very well be that the Stanley family will stay in Biggar and live their lives.

And the chances are pretty good that I might not know what a "Sask hutt" is. I do know that removing buildings and the shelter belt is not cost effective for the few extra bushels of grain that acre will produce.

Free
Closed Thread