Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-23-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
We kind of joked that we should all go buy Bowtech Assasins because they are one tough freakin bow!

LC
I was thinking that with the APA, not a mark at all or any sign of damage!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-23-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
If we are playing “have you ever seen” - I want to join in.
We had a small archery club that would meet in a local community hall once a week to shoot. In the short time I shot there I saw a dry fire, a guy accidentally shoot the halls piano, arrows ricochet off the ceiling and floor. It was a good time.

I happened to be next to the piano slayer when it happed. He was shooting one of those older launcher style rests and when he pulled back, the arrow fell between the rest and riser - I thought he saw it but aparantly not.

Ah good times....
Haha piano slayer! lol

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-23-2018, 11:15 AM

Default New Tech

Wow reading this gives me the giggles, as the name states mine has dry fired and never a problem, but then again I am old and still cant find the dang pullies on my longbow. I did have an older onidea eagle when they came out and it did the dry fire thing not sure if I was responsible or the bow was, but hell, scared the crap out of me. Traded it for a Bear recurve and never looked back.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:05 AM

Not a dry fire, but I was checking clearance on something or other, drew back an arrow with no point, when I went to let down WHACK arrow goes into the freshly painted wall. Thought I might get skinned alive for that one.

Had another one last year: draw aim shoot, hmmm, something didn't sound right. When I pulled the arrow out of the target, it had a 6 inch crack from the nock. Next shot would have done some damage to my arm

Gotta pay attention.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:59 PM

Was doing some tinkering in the basement and had my release fail and stuck an arrow in the cinder block wall. Another time was target shooting, just pulled back and a hummingbird buzzed right by my head, scared the crap outta me, I flinched and hit the trigger. Never found that arrow it went way out in the hay field.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:39 AM
Banned

I have an APA King Cobra, accidentally dry fired it. No visible damage, but replaced the limbs to be safe. Was not terribly loud either.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:34 PM

Ha, at least I can laugh at my self after my blunder.

Trophy Book archery got a brand new 3D simulator, so my buddy and I booked a shoot on it one weekend.

My friend always told me to point the bow at intended target and pull back with draw arm only. I thought that this was foolish since I can lift bow and draw at same time or come from up above and bring bow onto target.

What could wrong drawing a bow with the push pull,,, Yuppers,,, if it was going to happen it's good to have it happen at a shooting lane with lots of people around.

I was doing my super hero drop down with the bow when my finger touched off a arrow. LOL.

The rubber tipped arrow wacked the 3D shooting both ceiling, and everyone in the building all looked.

Rooky move on my part.

I guess my friend was right, the best point of aim is always down range,,, getting schooled is good.

Don
Old 02-27-2018, 02:56 PM

My first bow was a PSE Stinger that I got when I was 16 (2008). I used to drive 20 Minutes into the country to a dead end range road, and shoot a cardboard box full of rags. I also would, once in a while, rush my shooting habits (Young/dumb/inexperience, whatever you may call it.)

I'd pull back, let the first arrow fly. Then I'd repeat, but on two separate occasions, after letting the "second arrow" fly, I'd be left wondering who shot their gun the same time I shot my bow, and where were they?

Both times I took it to the local archery shop who put it under the proverbial microscope, and both times there was no noted damage whatsoever.

Gave me some faith in my PSE.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:01 PM

I watched a guy draw a bow in an archery store.
At full draw the riser snapped in two right in the grip.
The guy was OK but the women in the store started into him something fierce.
I told her I watched it happen and he didn't dry fire it.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Yes, it just happened right beside me last Thursday, scared the heck out of me. The person's peep went flying and was loud as heck ... failed to load an arrow while shooting 3D.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:45 AM

Default Nock buried in forehead

In about 1998 or 99 I was in Trophy Book Archery in Spruce Grove when Dan Hungle owned it. A fella came in and was looking at some PSE bows. He was new to archery and wanted to take it up. He pulls a bow off the rack, draws it back, holds for a second and then THWACK! Dry fired it! About 25 feet across the room some guy in the wrong place at the wrong time got nailed with the crimp style brass string nock right between the eyes just above the brow line and let me tell you, it was buried. He had to go for medical attention to have it looked at as no one had the tools to pull the nock out of his mind holder. The next day a colorful sign went up.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Shot lots and have never had it happen or seen it happen with a bow.

I did see it happen with a crossbow. It was brand new high end crossbow (forget the make). I was out on the rig tripping pipe and the consultant came up behind me. Told me to chain the handle and come with him. I followed him and he picked up his new toy. He already had it cocked! He picked up a bolt with his left had and shouldered the crossbow with the arrow still in his left hand. He aimed at a bag of rags he had set up prior and pulled the trigger.

BANG! String was off the cams and he's looking around. He asked me if I could see where the arrow went. "its still in your hand". He got a real sick look on his face and walked back to his shack with his new toy in hand.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:29 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
In about 1998 or 99 I was in Trophy Book Archery in Spruce Grove when Dan Hungle owned it. A fella came in and was looking at some PSE bows. He was new to archery and wanted to take it up. He pulls a bow off the rack, draws it back, holds for a second and then THWACK! Dry fired it! About 25 feet across the room some guy in the wrong place at the wrong time got nailed with the crimp style brass string nock right between the eyes just above the brow line and let me tell you, it was buried. He had to go for medical attention to have it looked at as no one had the tools to pull the nock out of his mind holder. The next day a colorful sign went up.
That's terrifying. Imagine an eye gone. Wow.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
That's terrifying. Imagine an eye gone. Wow.
Ken if it had been you standing there, it would of probably hit your kneecap. Me it might of hit my ball cap if I was standing on my toes. You are right though that could of been extremely serious consequences.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:37 PM

I had a Prairie fire bow. I was out deer hunting, set the bow cam down to study some tracks..walked a mile or so more...saw my deer drew back......BOOM bow exploded....WTF.... mud had gotten in the little string track on the cam and turned rock hard.. string jumped off the cam....

Restrung the bow after cleaning out the mud..(restring a bow without a press in the field is loads of fun).. continued hunting..always was a bit worried about shooting that bow after that because of the little chunk of cam that broke off that day but shot it for years with no issues.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
I don’t know why, but this really made me laugh, sorry to that poor guy!
Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 AM

I took a 15 yard shot once at a grazing whitetail, heard a strange noise with the release. The deer spooked and ran about 40 yards, no obvious signs of injury. My second try hit the boiler room. Later, I found two pieces of my first arrow but never the 'business' end. I assume there was a structural problem with the shaft that I hadn't noticed. I've definitely been more diligent about flexing my arrows since then...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2018, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
I don’t know why, but this really made me laugh, sorry to that poor guy!
X2, I had to laugh.

I sort of had a dry fire once when my knock blew up on release with my old Darton Wrangler, the bow survived without damage.

Another time I was messing around with my Bowtech RPM 360 and like the professional bow technician I am I had my toes firmly wrapped around my string and drew the bow pulling on my riser. Upon letting it down I torqued the bow about half way and boom it went. New cams, new strings, a bow press and draw board and all was good again.

I was hunting with a friend once when he came to full draw on a whitetail buck and boom, the string blew. I think he may have nicked the string with a broad head.

I was in Jimbows once when a guy was shooting his new Carbon Icon and for some reason it kept derailing when he was shooting. It happened twice while I was there and I think it might of happened just before I got there. He didn't look too impressed.