Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuzz View Post
Do you think China or India has environmental standards and it is OK to ship raw materials to them so it can be processed and to dump the pollutants there?
Leave the tar sands where they are along with the coal until better methods can be found to process them.
Trudeau and his 1500$ a plate dinner parties with the Asians is nothing more than political corruption at work. Our resources are being given away so the 1% of the world can stay fat.
Lets process our own raw materials and employ our own citizens.
Once upon a time we had a manufacturing industry that developed many products and to now sell our raw materials to the Chinese who have no respect for patent law, human rights or much else is pathetic.
Regardless what you think of China we have no control over their coal and petroleum supply chain.

There are plenty countries and companies to buy from. Canada is the ONLY one harming their economy and wasting money better spent on healthcare, poverty, housing, policing etc or just lowering taxes to allow families a better standard of living.

Fight for your beliefs however you are influenced by US special interest lobby groups.

China is building a thousand new coal fired power plants. Canada is 1.6% of the carbon emission chain. Think about that next time you see how much your gasoline cost and home heating cost.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-06-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Let China source the raw materials elsewhere. Enforce patent law and give industry here a chance to compete. When the USA is providing tax incentives and other options to industry of course they will migrate south. We witnessed that during the Mulroney years and now Trump has started the same thing.
I agree that the taxes and red tape are punitive in our country. Neither gov't nor oil industry want to see cheap oil prices but the price of oil effects all aspects of our lives. We are a resource rich country and the citizens should not be held ransom by multi national oil companies and gov't that have become dependant on oil generated tax revenues.
Transportation costs of goods(particularly bulk goods) have made it difficult for many businesses to succeed, the demise of our railways and the failure of gov't to upgrade highways ( road tax revenues going to general revenues )has left us in a bad spot.
As far a carbon tax goes, a joke. Our carbon footprint would amount to peanuts in the scope of things, all 35 million of us versus millions of Chinese, Indian, etc. It is another tax.
As I stated, build a refinery at the end of the pipeline and I will gladly pay the $1.50-$2.00/liter. I don't want our raw materials going to China.
No company is holding us ransom. The US is holding us ransom. Ontario and Quebec is holding us ransom. BC is holding us ransom.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-06-2018, 05:48 PM

Default pipeline

We are told that there are oil reserves on our coast and for whatever reason we can't touch those. There are many questions in the oil and gas supply that make you wonder who is controlling what.
A few years back George Bush senior toured the coast(inside passage) and there was some talk of oil exploration but has been quiet since.
They can drill on the east coast but not the west coast? Surely can't be anymore harsh an environment than the east?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:10 PM

Default Refinery

Honest question about people regarding refinery.

Have you ever seen a refinery?

Have you ever been to Port Arthur Texas?

Just Curios
Old 04-06-2018, 06:21 PM

Default pipeline

I have never been to Texas but I have been around refineries a bit. I was raised west of Toronto where there were 3 refineries, shell, gulf and Texaco at that time. Oil came via pipelines and boat. Went to school, chemical technology geared toward petro chem industry.
There is are few refineries here and as demand has increased supply has not.
Building anything in BC is difficult, lots of bs and red tape but sooner or later the issue will have to be addressed. The influx of people to the the lml and the island continues. Why are we not looking at local supplies of oil?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:42 PM

Been there 4 times, have a friend that lives there. Longest stay would be 3 weeks.

Give it try and come back and will talk again regarding refinery.

Maybe its just me. FYI I came from a third world country
Old 04-06-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
Honest question about people regarding refinery.

Have you ever seen a refinery?
I am working in one right now and I worked in a different one last summer.

I would find it difficult to believe that the rest of the world could come up with as clean a place on a consistant basis as we have here.

Maybe some can, but not the majority.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I have never been to Texas but I have been around refineries a bit. I was raised west of Toronto where there were 3 refineries, shell, gulf and Texaco at that time. Oil came via pipelines and boat. Went to school, chemical technology geared toward petro chem industry.
There is are few refineries here and as demand has increased supply has not.
Building anything in BC is difficult, lots of bs and red tape but sooner or later the issue will have to be addressed. The influx of people to the the lml and the island continues. Why are we not looking at local supplies of oil?
You do understand that Canada is a net Exporter of Refined product about 400bbls day.
We are a net exporter of raw product.
What that means is we ship out more of those two products then we require.

The reason for buying oil from Foreign places is the east coast gets a good deal on their foreign oil. They do not want a pipeline built because it will cut into the market cornering the Irving's have out east.

BC won't build or allow another refinery or pipeline to be built to ship finished or raw product. They figure all their needs can be looked after by Washington State refineries.who are running at max capacity right now.