Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Waterton now mandatory evacuation from a voluntary

http://globalnews.ca/news/3729138/wa...edium=Facebook
Old 09-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Banned

Ah ****.. better get our ducks in a row here..
Old 09-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Default More Evacuations

Looks like they have just put out a mandatory evacuation of Waterton Lakes National Park
http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca...7/09/4585.html

Things are a long ways away from getting any better out there. I am surprised they have not shut down more areas around Rocky Mountain House with the wild fire that is burning out of control there right now.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:51 PM

you think they would be smart enough to shut it down now
Old 09-08-2017, 03:00 PM

Default Hhh

Some out of control fires are left to do there thing if no structures are in the path. Putting out every fire that starts is how we got into this mess in the first place. Be nice to see these temps drop.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:04 PM

the fire was only 8 km from burnt stick lake village so this fire needs to be put out
Old 09-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Some out of control fires are left to do there thing if no structures are in the path. Putting out every fire that starts is how we got into this mess in the first place. Be nice to see these temps drop.
I hate to see any houses get it or peoples property, but this country needs another good fire.
I do beleve they were doing controled burns in Waterton and in westcastle valley the last couple years.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
the fire was only 8 km from burnt stick lake village so this fire needs to be put out
heard today that they had 4 choppers plus heavy ground equipment and 20 firefighters on that one plus bringing in more people. sounds like they are doing what they can. but take that with a grain of salt, that was off of facebook. fire at that time was 30 hectares.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:33 PM

Default weather

Heard the weather is going to improve this coming week. Cool temps and some rain will help plenty.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:11 AM

Default Story here

http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/...area-continue/
Old 09-10-2017, 05:58 AM

I can't remember a summer with so little rain. The other problem is they have no manpower should a fire take off. Once a fire reaches a certain size provincial crews might not be enough to handle things and a request for out of Provence crews goes out. Which there are not many of since mid July with all the other fires in the country. Why they waited so long to close these areas seems odd to say the least. But after the Fort Mac fire it does not surprise me that there are politics governing some of the closesures timing. If not than someone should be fired because they are not doing there job protecting the Provence's resources. And that will be the voters job come next election. Plus hunter's are not as responsible as other back country users, everyone knows that. I hope that's not really how they think. Or do they?hmmmm. If you really want to know the answer just see how long they extend the fire crew members contracts. One would think that if the fire situation is still that severe into October to keep a closure in effect for that long, than it would justify extending fire crews contracts into October too. ( typically fire crew contracts end in mid September and are extended on a week by week basis depending on the fire hazard) plus many crew members are students so staffing becomes an issue into the fall. I should also mention that the length of day , relative humidity and night time temps also have a bearing on fire hazard and activity . I did this for ten years and yes politics has a lot to do with it. That's one of the reasons I got out!

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 09-10-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:55 AM

HYPOCRITE!!! you my friend just black balled hunters. I am a backcountry user as well as a hunter and I am no more of careless being a hunter then I am a backcountry user, and there are a lot more campers then hunters. If the government truely cared about the forestry they would have closed it way back in July!!!
Old 09-10-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I can't remember a summer with so little rain. The other problem is they have no manpower should a fire take off. Once a fire reaches a certain size provincial crews might not be enough to handle things and a request for out of Provence crews goes out. Which there are not many of since mid July with all the other fires in the country. Why they waited so long to close these areas seems odd to say the least. But after the Fort Mac fire it does not surprise me that there are politics governing some of the closesures timing. If not than someone should be fired because they are not doing there job protecting the Provence's resources. And that will be the voters job come next election. Plus hunter's are not as responsible as other back country users, everyone knows that. I hope that's not really how they think. Or do they?hmmmm. If you really want to know the answer just see how long they extend the fire crew members contracts. One would think that if the fire situation is still that severe into October to keep a closure in effect for that long, than it would justify extending fire crews contracts into October too. ( typically fire crew contracts end in mid September and are extended on a week by week basis depending on the fire hazard) plus many crew members are students so staffing becomes an issue into the fall. I should also mention that the length of day , relative humidity and night time temps also have a bearing on fire hazard and activity . I did this for ten years and yes politics has a lot to do with it. That's one of the reasons I got out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
HYPOCRITE!!! you my friend just black balled hunters. I am a backcountry user as well as a hunter and I am no more of careless being a hunter then I am a backcountry user, and there are a lot more campers then hunters. If the government truely cared about the forestry they would have closed it way back in July!!!
He's basically saying the same thing as you. The sarcasm was just a shade too subdued.

It's brutally dry out east too. Yesterday 32C, 13% humidity with winds sustained at 30km/h and gusts to 50 km/h. One spark would have burnt an huge area in a heartbeat.

Hope for rain, or hunting opportunities will be severely curtailed this fall on private land too.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 09-10-2017, 07:16 AM

Easy buddy, I was being sarcastic. I hunt too. And a lot of the guys who are in fire management hunt too. I was trying to say that it is not out of the relm of possiabity that a user group was singled out. Not a professional way to make decisions or one that i that I would suspect but it could happen. I don't know the people that make the calls but hunters get a bad wrap these days and I don't know if the policy makers have any bias towards hunters. But it is possiable. Not likely but possiable. One thing is for sure. Anyone in fire management these days is not going to be having a restful sleep until it rains or snows.

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 09-10-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Imagine selling that to the public ? Still see lots of ATVs headed out, open north of the Red Deer, but that will probably change, unless it rains. Guess the question is, how the Burntstick fire started ?

Grizz
Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Easy buddy, I was being sarcastic. I hunt too. And a lot of the guys who are in fire management hunt too. I was trying to say that it is not out of the relm of possiabity that a user group was singled out. Not a professional way to make decisions or one that i that I would suspect but it could happen. I don't know the people that make the calls but hunters get a bad wrap these days and I don't know if the policy makers have any bias towards hunters. But it is possiable. Not likely but possiable. One thing is for sure. Anyone in fire management these days is not going to be having a restful sleep until it rains or snows.
Ok, sorry I took that the wrong way.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Ok, sorry I took that the wrong way.
No problem. I've done the same thing. In a way it's good that comment got you going because there will be truth to it if it rains a bunch and the roads stay closed for longer than two days after. Then we need to be making some calls.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:04 AM

Default Any

Any moisture hitting the SW? It sure feels
Like fall in the North!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:37 AM

No
Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Was out hunting in 406. There is a reason zones are being shut down...

We came across fresh campsites with small fire pits, tire tracks coming out from trails, cigarette butts, a truck driven off road out into the middle of a field (the trail they took was close to 1km off road) of dead grass where they were doing target practice using a hill of dead grass as a back drop.

Thankfully they responded well to us talking to them, politely packed up and got their truck back on the main road. But still, these are the things CO's see and cause them to push for closing zones.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:06 PM

Default Closure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
Was out hunting in 406. There is a reason zones are being shut down...

We came across fresh campsites with small fire pits, tire tracks coming out from trails, cigarette butts, a truck driven off road out into the middle of a field (the trail they took was close to 1km off road) of dead grass where they were doing target practice using a hill of dead grass as a back drop.

Thankfully they responded well to us talking to them, politely packed up and got their truck back on the main road. But still, these are the things CO's see and cause them to push for closing zones.
Was there anything to see in 406?? How dry has it been there? Are the elk calling yet? It's been a struggle this year to get out and I think it's still too hot. Not sure if it's worth venturing out this weekend or holding off until end of sept. Let me know your thoughts interested to hear what's happening out there in that zone.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiecat View Post
Was there anything to see in 406?? How dry has it been there? Are the elk calling yet? It's been a struggle this year to get out and I think it's still too hot. Not sure if it's worth venturing out this weekend or holding off until end of sept. Let me know your thoughts interested to hear what's happening out there in that zone.
I was in 404 so not too far away and it was extremely dry there. I did not hear any Elk calling at night while we camped or during the day and we didn't see any fresh animal sign while we were out hiking.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:31 PM

Where you able to drive in on the 532 or did you come in from the North ?Want to head to Cataract creek this weekend and wondering if I can get there ?
Thanks
Old 09-11-2017, 05:05 PM

Didn't see much for elk sign. No calling yet either (that we could hear).
Old 09-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedive View Post
I was in 404 so not too far away and it was extremely dry there. I did not hear any Elk calling at night while we camped or during the day and we didn't see any fresh animal sign while we were out hiking.
I am also curious where in 404 you where. I have heard rumour only the north end along Highway 40 is open, but I have not made it out there since the closures.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwilson View Post
I am also curious where in 404 you where. I have heard rumour only the north end along Highway 40 is open, but I have not made it out there since the closures.
All of 404 is open it's southern boundary is where the closure starts. We were just south of Cataract Creek. My buddy drug us out cause he thought the campground was still open but it has closed for the season so we just tucked off the side of the road a bit south of there. We spoke to the CO's at one point and they showed us where it's closed on a map.

Edit: Just saw the comment about 532 no I didn't drive it we drove in from the north. The CO made is sound like they had it closed and base on the closure map the road off of 22 starts in the closure zone so I'd imagine they have it closed.

I put together a quick web map with the closure area and the WMU's on it for reference
http://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/inde...55cb77a51b0a0a

Last edited by kedive; 09-12-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:02 PM

Anybody have an inside line as to what may happen after this rain we're getting? I know it will still be quite dry, as the earth is going to soak this up pretty quick, but might it be enough to get some areas opened back up?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Yup

It should. Doesn't have to be marshland to be safe. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and safe decisions are made. Lets hope so.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:21 PM

I wouldn't bank on it opening!!! I sure hope it does though.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:27 PM

Default Yah

Well, looks like the minister lifted the OHV'S ban! Weird they have not lifted the no entry one. Lol
http://wildfire.alberta.ca/wildfire-...al-orders.aspx