Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2017, 12:06 AM

Default How is your season going?

I thought it could be interesting to see how everyone's season is going. Have you seen anything interesting or just have a pic you think is worth posting. If you guys are not interested, just disregard this thread

I went out with a couple of friends today looking for elk (and moose on a side). We have not gotten a single response though, nor have we seen anything aside from a few whitetail does. It was a great hike, nevertheless, and great time with the guys. Here are a couple of pics:

Now, this was something interesting I saw the other day on the way to the bush. A young mule deer (this year's) chasing a crow with whatever it had in its beak. I spend probably good five minutes watching him run after that crow. It was fun for me, probably more so for him. The mother and the sibling were standing 20 meters away just staring at me the whole time and the little guy just would not stop. I should have made a video.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 AM

Good pics OP
24 hours with my 2 young boys we encountered:
3 bears
1 cow elk
7-9 whitetail (a nice bachelor group too)
3 mulies- 1 a really decent one
can't wait to get up there again

Last edited by wildwoods; 08-28-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:00 AM
Banned

Called in a young bull elk 3x3 bull yesterday had him around 25 yards, seen 2 more bulls had them 90-100 yards away, 3 grizzlies and Cow and calf moose not a single deer seen yet not even a doe!
Old 08-28-2017, 02:28 PM

The WTs and Mulies are moving lots just north of High Prairie. Haven't seen or heard any elk or Moose yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 03:14 PM

Trail prep(clearing logs) and trail cams put up so far at the property we have permission on in anticipation of my sons first archery moose hunt. Very excited to be able to call moose in for him if the gods shine some luck our way.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Banned

Heard a cow chirp about 10 minutes ago. Fingers crossed
Old 08-28-2017, 11:12 PM

^ How did it go?

I have been out twice with a buddy looking for elk. A few responses but they are refusing to move for now. We are also trying out a new to us area for a change. Next weekend will probably be more interesting.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
^ How did it go?

I have been out twice with a buddy looking for elk. A few responses but they are refusing to move for now. We are also trying out a new to us area for a change. Next weekend will probably be more interesting.
Ended up getting busted last night. Been quiet so far this morning.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:29 AM

Not a single response form elk today. Nada. Lots of mule deer. One buck was big (no giant by any means) and beautiful that I had to get close to take a photo. Had two drop tines but just beautiful and I usually do not like "irregularities" in the antlers. This guy was something else. Long story short, got to within 25-30 feet to him, took out the camera and the lense malfunctioned and made a loud "grrr". Obviously the dude took off. Should have just taken a pic with the phone. Really wish one of us had a mule tag.

We might move on to the "usual" and familiar place this weekend; if not and no success, the next weekend for sure.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:03 AM

Was out for a drive the other day, seen 2 kangaroo and a few Emu's.
But I'm a long way from home.
Good luck folks.

TBark
Old 09-01-2017, 08:20 AM

Planned an awesome goose hunt for this morning, found a great swathed oat field with hundreds of greater Canada's. Had to ditch it due too a best friend insisting we had to take along some swearing, smoking, unethical poachers!
So my seasons off to a rocky start.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:21 AM

Top pic is absolutely beautiful though!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Was out for a drive the other day, seen 2 kangaroo and a few Emu's.
But I'm a long way from home.
Good luck folks.

TBark
Hilarious. Bet you're chomping at the bit to be back! Have fun out there!
Old 09-01-2017, 09:20 AM

Pretty pics!

Sitting in an office, wishing I was outside.

The kids are starting to nag me to take them out hunting. Guess I have to oblige them, eh?
Old 09-03-2017, 11:31 AM

Saw a bear yesterday but not close enough and on no hunting property
Old 09-03-2017, 04:37 PM

Was out a few times this last week and saw 4 black bears, 3 mule deer does and 2 wt does. Got my hunting buddy up to 30 yards to one of the black bears he was a little freaked out about being so close to a black he missed. He had his go pro on and got the whole thing on video. Funniest thing ever. We are sneaking up, he draws, let's the arrow fly which goes under the bears belly. The bear gets freaked out and runs around in a little circle. My buddy yells oh **** he's coming for me, turns and runs passed me all the way to the quad. I am laughing hysterically the whole time. The bear ran into some thick stuff nearby. In my buddies defense, he is from Scotland and has never been close to a bear in the wild before.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:28 PM

^ Sounds like fun!

Lots of action yesterday evening and today in the morning. Was great hunting weather, for a change. Got pretty soaked yesterday though, but we did see some elk, at last. A few does and very nice 5x5. He was close enough but never got himself in the position for my cousin to take a shot. He then took off, but came back to calling and stayed out of view. So no dice. A couple more bulls responded but never exposed themselves. One got pretty angry and destroyed quite some bush around him, which we saw after we found the spot.

I also finally got to go and do some scouting for the first time since June, probably, to the field where I am planning to take a cow elk comes the rifle season. No elk around and not much sign either. It was pretty dry though, so hard to find any decent tracks and such. We will see.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:23 PM

A buddy lost an elk a couple of days ago with an arrow in it. Still can't find him. Good hit and everything from what I hear, but the guy just took off and disappeared.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:42 PM

We got a nice 5x4 elk down already, so it's off to a good start!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:28 PM

Bulldog, that sounds hilarious. Would love to see the footage
Old 09-08-2017, 08:03 PM

Haven't been out yet, next week I'll be home from work. Gonna be doing as much hunting as the wife can stand. Looking forward to trying to find/stalk a moose with the bow in 242 (any hints would help, I have areas I'm planning on checking, but definitely didn't scout enough this year). Also, might head out to daysland pheasant release site with a buddy of mine for a walk and hopefully put up a pheasant or two. Gonna be tough without a dog though! Should be a good week regardless of the outcome!! Good luck to everyone!!

BullDog Edm, your story made my day! So Funny!
Old 09-09-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Haven't been out yet, next week I'll be home from work. Gonna be doing as much hunting as the wife can stand. Looking forward to trying to find/stalk a moose with the bow in 242 (any hints would help, I have areas I'm planning on checking, but definitely didn't scout enough this year). Also, might head out to daysland pheasant release site with a buddy of mine for a walk and hopefully put up a pheasant or two. Gonna be tough without a dog though! Should be a good week regardless of the outcome!! Good luck to everyone!!

BullDog Edm, your story made my day! So Funny!
Antlered or antlerless?
PM me if you like. I May be able to help
Old 09-09-2017, 01:05 AM

I went to take another look at the field I am planning to take a cow elk at. No cows, but man did I see a big bull. A very nice 6x6, at least (it was fairly dark and was pretty hard to see in the binoculars). Nice big guy. Kind of made me regret that I have an antlerless tag this year.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
A buddy lost an elk a couple of days ago with an arrow in it. Still can't find him. Good hit and everything from what I hear, but the guy just took off and disappeared.
Looks like the elk is alive and presumably well, given the circumstances. Someone else spotted most likely the same bull earlier today. The buddy is going to try to find him this weekend.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:57 PM
Banned

No season for us here, the bush is closed indefinatly. Total loss for archery season and probably a few weeks or a month of rifle season too.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
No season for us here, the bush is closed indefinatly. Total loss for archery season and probably a few weeks or a month of rifle season too.
Sorry to hear that. Brutal
Old 09-09-2017, 11:38 PM

I feel bad for those that can't go out. Especially if they can but the land is closed. Hope you guys get some rain! If we got some, it would not be so bad either.

Awesome story, bulldog. I could see you laughing your pants off when I read that. Thank you for sharing!

No animals for us yet. A couple of close calls, but other than that...

A few more pics from today:

Wating...

No one is around...

Heading home...

Today we managed to call in a coyote and a black bear while calling for elk We did have a response from a bull about 30 minutes before wrapping up , but he seemed long ways away.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:44 PM

Beautiful pictures! Went scouting again for my first Mule buck today 406 but everywhere I try to find a new area I'm greeted with a private property gate. Only public land area I can get into that I figure won't be completely flooded with people begins after a 3km hike straight uphill. I was also looking for grouse today and found 5 ruffies but I rushed the shot with the 22 and grazed it. Brought a feather home to show the girlfriend I wasn't a liar haha. Wasn't very filling... want to get out for some waterfowl sometime soon too! I'm really starting to love fall
Old 09-09-2017, 11:45 PM

I've seen lots of mule and whitetail does. Only have till the end of September on this property then off to a different spot for moose. If I don't see a buck soon one of these mule does is gonna get it. Saving whitetails till November.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:23 PM

Well, went out calling looking for elk in the evening. I haven't seen any, except for a bull on the neighbouring field when leaving. I have not heard any either. No (relatively) pretty photos today though, just a few low-light ugly ones.

I did call in quite a few mule deer again. I have no idea what's wrong with those guys. They come and try to communicate with you. Then they come close enough and "make" you, run away, only to come back again a few minutes later.

I guess the highlight of the night was this:

I was sitting behind that bale (first photo with bears) when those guys showed up. Bear spray was in the vehicle since I really did not expect to see any bears there. The mama, who was awfully large (maybe it just seemed that way), watched me backing and walking away. The two cubs just followed her lead. The funny thing was that she walked my steps sniffing and studying everything, where I went, where I sat, where I took a leak half an hour before they came out of the bush. And they came right into the wind; I mean they new I was there. Cub showed up first about 30 meters away from me. Luckily, I heard some noise and turned my head to see him behind me. Once I saw the cub, I knew the bad news were coming and started moving away from the bale. A few seconds later the mama stepped out staring right at me. I kept walking and she proceeded to where I was sitting. She took a few moments to study the area and then moved on walking the tree line. So yeah, do not leave the bear spray in the vehicle, even if you know the property and have never seen a bear (or even scat) there before. It was fun watching the cubs playing with each other as they were moving away though. The colour on the mama was pretty neat too.