Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 03:07 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
... I like the Grohman #1 the best ( the knife sitting on the hind quarter in Iron Noggin's pic) I don't feel that there is any knife in its price range that can beat it...
For a fixed blade, I tend to agree.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 09-21-2017, 04:54 PM

Benchmade Saddlemountain Skinner would be my choice if I was buying another knife: http://www.benchmade.com/saddle-moun...er-family.html.
I have the Buck Ergohunter and its blade is just too much of a pain in the ass to sharpen.
I also have the Benchmade Grizzly Creek, but folders SUCK for skinning because of all the crap that gets in all the holes.

I was having a discussion the other day with some guys at a knife store and they introduced me to this knife, which is apparently absolutely amazing for skinning: http://www.benchmade.com/hunt-series...a-cleaver.html
Old 09-21-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
For a fixed blade, I tend to agree.

Cheers,
Nog
And as for folders I would agree with your choice as well, you can spend a lot more money on a folder than what a Buck 110 costs, and end up with a worse knife.

For folder vs fixed I think it depends on the hunter, IMO a fixed blade is superior in actual use and if the knife is to be kept in a pack or on a cartridge belt etc... a fixed blade is preferable. If one prefers to keep their knife on the belt that holds their pants up, which can not be easily removed when riding in a vehicle or sitting in a stand, then a folder has some extra convenience going for it.

I keep my hunting knife either in my pack if I bring one, or more often hanging off of my fanny pack, and I don't usually hunt from a stand or return to my vehicle once I start hunting... so for me the added durability and ease in cleaning makes a fixed blade preferable. I didn't always do things this way though, and in the past I've preferred a folder.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:33 PM

I have used all excluding the circled one for skinning deer.
Top two on the right are Grohmann (newer; the folder 8 years old the #3 in the last 5 Years ) I would agree they do not hold an edge like older modles did. Bottom left is a custom knife my Dad had made for me, that one and the Remington above it are my two favorite knives.
That buck caper is incredibly sharp and agile but so small and dainty makes it easy to drop.

V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170921_171253.jpg (35.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 09-22-2017, 06:27 AM

Victorinox lamb skinner
Old 09-22-2017, 06:53 AM

Buck 110 hard to beat. I also like the smaller ones the 112. I've been to the Buck Factory in Post Falls a few times. They run a serious program down there, and have outstanding commitment to customer satisfaction.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:45 AM

Buck knives are great, but stay away from folders (ie Buck 110 - the best folder IMO) for gutting skinning as they are a pain to clean afterward. Fixed blade that feels good to you...can't go wrong with Buck, Gerber etc
Old 09-23-2017, 03:32 PM

The buck folder is a great knife. The hollow ground blade is easy to keep sharp
Old 09-23-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irgendoeppis View Post
Victorinox lamb skinner
This ^^^^

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-23-2017, 06:07 PM

He makes a heck of a knife.

http://geneingramknives.com/home/

-Billy Molls
Old 09-23-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

I suggested that too... but so far everyone wants to eat fish eggs from the bait aisle at Walmart and pretend it's caviar.

You've got good taste Chuck.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I suggested that too... but so far everyone wants to eat fish eggs from the bait aisle at Walmart and pretend it's caviar.

:-)

-Billy Molls
Old 09-23-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:

I'm sure he does.

norwestalta

LC

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-23-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:

It has nothing to do with fish eggs. A knife is a personal thing to be hold.

norwestalta

LC

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-23-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Buy yourself a Dozier, Crotts or Ingram....
All excellent choices. There is also a bunch of other equally affordable custom makers who offer excellent bang for your buck. Tim Steingass, and james sponaugle are two that come to mind.

These makers all offer knives not far off many production knives in cost , but use superior materials, and heat treat procedures. They also hold or increase in value.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post

Well you like the lamb skinner. Here's a nicer, higher quality option with a very similar blade shape that doesn't look like much but damn does it work well for not only skinning but field dressing and deboning.

And your absolutely right, knives are very personal. That said, there are ways to quantify quality and there is a big difference between a buck and dozier, a victorinox and Crotts or a gerber and an Ingram. The steel, heat treat and geometry are important. Blade and handle shape are personal. Micarta scales will do the job, stag, mammoth ivory or anything similar and a guys paying for lipstick. At the end of the day a Dozier Yukon pro skinner at $220 is in another league compared to a over the counter knife and compared to all the other places we as hunters spend money is really a good value.

The OP asked for the "best knife". If it had been titled "the cheapest, serviceable knife for skinning deer" I would of stayed out of it.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Well no, quality is quality. You can use what you wish, but knives are not all the same despite your greatest wishes.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-23-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Well you like the lamb skinner. Here's a nicer, higher quality option with a very similar blade shape that doesn't look like much but damn does it work well for not only skinning but field dressing and deboning.

And your absolutely right, knives are very personal. That said, there are ways to quantify quality and there is a big difference between a buck and dozier, a victorinox and Crotts or a gerber and an Ingram. The steel, heat treat and geometry are important. Blade and handle shape are personal. Micarta scales will do the job, stag, mammoth ivory or anything similar and a guys paying for lipstick. At the end of the day a Dozier Yukon pro skinner at $220 is in another league compared to a over the counter knife and compared to all the other places we as hunters spend money is really a good value.

The OP asked for the "best knife". If it had been titled "the cheapest, serviceable knife for skinning deer" I would of stayed out of it.
The OP also mentioned the Buck 110... a pretty good hint at his price range IMO, I think he's after a steak, not caviar. Furthermore, some of us would rather put every penny we can into tags, gas, and time off work... interestingly enough many of the folks I know that are heavily invested in high dollar gear spend a great deal less on these three things than do I and plenty others using "Wallmart bait egg" gear.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-23-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 PM

That is a broad statement.

The knives I carry. Very diverse price points.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-23-2017, 09:24 PM
Banned

Folding 110 and this: https://www.buckknives.com/product/b...ife/0673FAM01/
Old 09-23-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Well no, quality is quality. You can use what you wish, but knives are not all the same despite your greatest wishes.
"Well no, quality is quality"
Well after using the same Sheep skinner style knives for 35+ plus years commercially I think I've figured it out.

norwestalta

LC

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-24-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
"Well no, quality is quality"
Well after using the same Sheep skinner style knives for 35+ plus years commercially I think I've figured it out.
Well good. I didn't say your choice was bad. But you certainly whined about mine. I have no patience for that nor the fact you have absolutely no clue if my choice is good or not, or heaven forbid better. I gave an opinion, deal with it.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-24-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Well good. I didn't say your choice was bad. But you certainly whined about mine. I have no patience for that nor the fact you have absolutely no clue if my choice is good or not, or heaven forbid better. I gave an opinion, deal with it.
Sorry you took it the wrong Chuck.
Like I said, A knife is a personal thing.

norwestalta

LC

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-24-2017, 09:00 AM

Boker Plus Dozier. Holds a great edge and is small enough to get in those tight spaces
Old 09-24-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
So true Chuck.......

I will say this, a knife is a personal fit for a specific application.

A high-end steel knife and a low end quality steel have the same thing in common when they are sharp. The difference lies-in how long does the edge stay sharp and how may times are you needing to sharpen it?

The higher the quality of steel, generally the more expensive the knife and the less sharpening when used for the same period of time for the same application....

Sometimes it isn't about the steel but more about the romance of the hunt. And if grandpa, uncle, and dad all used a Buck 110 folder or a fixed blade Grohmann then, you weren't hunting unless you carried one.

Enjoy what ever you decide to carry.

http://knifeinformer.com/discovering...t-knife-steel/

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 09-24-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:08 PM

I have been very happy with Bark River Knives. For skinning something deer sized, and not having to sharpen in the field, no matter how dirty the hide is, I'd try a Bark River Bravo 1 in CPM M4. Or any of their knives in 3V.

I've found that after using a Bark River of any given steel, I'm disappointed in the edge holding of any other knife maker in the same steel. Mike Stewart is a heat treating wizard. I have several Bark Rivers in S35VN. I have a Zero Tolerance in the same steel. I"m rather disappointed in the zero tolerance's edge holding ability by comparison.

Thinking of getting rid of folders and getting or making a pocket sheath for full time carry of a fixed blade.

I also find the handles of the Bark Rivers to be the easiest and most comfortable to hold for long usage. I've had a lot of knives over the years.

As VCMM said, knives are very personal. Go into a store and handle a lot of them.

As for high end and low end steels, It's an interesting paradox. Some of the lower end knife steels can take a much sharper edge when sharpened than a higher end steel, however will lose all edge a lot faster. So, with the lower end knife steels, you need to run the edge over a steel a lot more to straighten the edge and keep it from rolling over.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Banned

I find if I get a new to me knife every year, someone will always want to try it out to see how it works. A Havalon is the bait this year.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:25 PM

Havalon. Sharp as a scalpel and if I lose it there are no tears shed.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:43 PM

If a buck 110 is your game take a look at the buck vanguard as well. I use mine a lot and give it top marks for the price range.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Not at all. My Buck 110 is a great 60 dollar knife. Never once have I ever thought of it as top of the line knife but it works for me. But good for you for conveying that you are pretentious when it comes to cutlery. I also made meat last week with a rifle topped with a 40 year old Weaver K4 and not an $800.00 Zeiss. The end result is what matters..