Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 PM

Default Bindloss Fire-Pronghorn

I was told today that the Bindloss fire pretty much consumed my usual pronghorn hunting area, so we are off in the morning to see what we can find for a new area to hunt, that holds some pronghorns. If it wasn't for the fact that my friend has never taken a pronghorn, I wouldn't even bother, but I want to try and help him to get a pronghorn before he stops hunting. The only sure thing at this point, is that if we don't at least try, we definitely won't be successful.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Which zones do you have your draw in?
Old 09-23-2017, 09:46 PM

150,151,152. I have always found decent pronghorn on the Buffalo Atlee grazing lease, but apparently it was pretty much destroyed.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:48 PM

I shot one down there on an archery tag a couple years ago. From bindloss I went north across the river, turned left and followed the road across the top of the river valley and saw lots of antelope. There were only two land owners I had to talk to and they were both great to deal with.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I shot one down there on an archery tag a couple years ago. From bindloss I went north across the river, turned left and followed the road across the top of the river valley and saw lots of antelope. There were only two land owners I had to talk to and they were both great to deal with.
The area you describe might have burned. I will see tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 PM

Not that it'll make you feel better but a few weeks ago I was out there hunting elk with a friend, we didn't see any antelope on Buffalo atlee although we did manage a couple small elk. We did see some antelope further east north of sandy pointe for what it's worth
Old 09-23-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The area you describe might have burned. I will see tomorrow.
That fire jumped the river?
Old 09-23-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
That fire jumped the river?
Not sure, it burned 90,000 acres.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:26 PM

The buffalo atlee pasture is still fine. The fire burned primarily on the base and jumped the fence onto the remount grazing pasture and then off to the NE onto some private land. I've been out hunting elk in the area and there are quite a few antelope in the area this year. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneekerp View Post
The buffalo atlee pasture is still fine. The fire burned primarily on the base and jumped the fence onto the remount grazing pasture and then off to the NE onto some private land. I've been out hunting elk in the area and there are quite a few antelope in the area this year. Good luck!
Thank You, you just made my day. Apparently I was given bad information today. At least we have an area to start that I know fairly well. As long as I get my buddy a buck, all is good.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:31 AM

Also check the Remount grazing reserve, east of Buffalo. Hopefully it didn't burn up.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:21 PM

We just arrived in Brooks after scouting, and the fire never touched either community pasture. We found seven legal bucks today, but no monsters.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:38 PM

We were out today in the same zone and found some decent bucks...one we are planning to try for in the morning.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:39 PM

You have two tags or one? Either way it would be exciting to be on the eve of that hunt. Enjoy it and if you don't have any shooters pegged down I would scout any roads that have a ton of water or closet to the river as it's been so dry many little holes have been dry for months so most are within two miles of the river . Good luck and shoot straight .
Old 09-24-2017, 07:46 PM

We have three tags, but my priority is helping my friends to take their first bucks.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:51 PM

I have seen the antelope move to the river valleys during drought, there was still quite a few watering holes on Buffalo atlee when we were there 3 weeks ago, I suspect the last week has helped that situation a little anyways or at least not hurt it. I would keep my open for those tasty little cactus berries (don't know what's they are actually called but the small round cactus have them)while you're out there, those suckers ought to be ripe now and they are delicious.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:10 PM

Good luck Elkhunter this week.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We just arrived in Brooks after scouting, and the fire never touched either community pasture. We found seven legal bucks today, but no monsters.
The wife and I have been scouting for her first loper down here for 4 days now. Not seeing nearly the numbers that we did last year. Not sure if its the drought or what but they just don't seem to be as plentiful.

The good news is that there is still quite a bit of rut activity going on.

Good luck to all who are heading out in the am!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Good luck Elkhunter this week.
Good luck to you as well. We are on a limited schedule as one fellow has to be home Tuesday , so we won't be as fussy as I would normally be.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Headed home with two bucks. The largest over 14" and good mass.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:38 PM

Congrats! Pics?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:29 PM

Awesome, congrats!
Old 09-25-2017, 07:25 PM

We saw this one and his does, just before 9am, and I grabbed the trigger sticks and my rifle and led the boys on an intercept course. I peaked over the first hill, and the had moved to the next hill and were walking down parallel to us. We dropped below the crest and raced to the next peak a couple of hundred yards away, and peaked over the top to see them standing on the side of the hill looking at us, I set up the trigger sticks , ranged the buck at just under 300 yards and told my buddy to set up his rifle and shoot. He was breathing too hard and couldn't get steady, so he directed me to take the shot. I asked the other fellow to come up and use my rifle, but he said that he was too out of breath as well. I set up on the sticks, placed the crosshairs on the buck as he turned quartering to me, as if to leave, so I squeezed the trigger and he dropped at the shot. He isn't huge, but he was by far the largest buck that we saw. He taped out at 71 inches.

We gutted the buck and carried on looking for another one. We came upon two smaller bucks,so I asked the boys if they were interested in them. One fellow replied that he would try if we could get close enough. I drove behind the hill, and we climbed the hill and peaked over the top. I ranged the bucks at around 250 yards, so I set up the sticks, and told him where to aim. At the shot, the buck spun around and fell over. We walked down and gutted the buck, and another group of pronghorns appeared about 400 yards away. I saw two bucks that were not big, but were not all that bad, so I asked if the other friend wanted it. The two decided that two bucks was good enough , and we headed for home.

We also managed to see this fellow yesterday, which was a new experience for my friends.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:37 PM

Congrats Elkhunter! Nice buck

My dad got a respectable buck this morning and we haven’t seen anything good. Just going to shoot whatever tomorrow and call it. Ranchers are saying there hasn’t been any big ones around
Old 09-25-2017, 08:33 PM

Nice one elk 11...That's a great buck to be proud of....good story to on how the hunt unfolded.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Congrats Elkhunter! Nice buck

My dad got a respectable buck this morning and we haven’t seen anything good. Just going to shoot whatever tomorrow and call it. Ranchers are saying there hasn’t been any big ones around
This wasn't a great year to have drawn a tag.. Any buck that scores 70 or better is a good one this year. As we were driving along the Suffield boundary, we could see the results of the fire, black ground for miles, but it stopped a couple of miles from the community pasture.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 PM

Nothing wrong with that buck! Well done!

-Billy Molls
Old 09-25-2017, 09:34 PM

Nice buck. Sure has a heart shape and is pretty heavy.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 PM

I would like to mention that we were checked by F&W only minutes before we shot this buck. When the officers stopped us, they mentioned that they would be as quick as possible, so as not to delay out hunt. They had seen the pronghorns only minutes earlier, and they didn't want us to lose the opportunity due to them delaying us with their checks. As soon as they were done, we continued on our way, and we saw the buck within a few minutes, and killed it a few minutes later. Thank you officers for your concern for our hunt.
I also did not use a bipod this year, as I started using the three leg trigger sticks last winter; and I find them far superior to a bipod. Due to the terrain, I had to shoot standing up, and the trigger sticks were tall enough to provide support while standing.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:55 PM

That is a nice looking speed goat- please tell me your buddies were as old as you and not young guys that are simply out of shape??!!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-25-2017 at 10:03 PM.