Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Banned

Default Favourite skinning knife

What's is your favourite skinning knife?
Old 08-20-2016, 10:52 AM

I use a Gerber ez Skinner, always works well for me and holds a good edge
Old 08-20-2016, 05:18 PM

This used to be my dedicated skinner.

It worked well but after a few years and animals I thought I could improve a few things pertaining to the shape of the blade and angle of my hand and wrist in relation to the animal I was skinning. So I had Dan build me this one last winter.

I thought it would be a little more ergonomic while skinning and still have enough point on the tip to get open the animal up and be short enough to work inside the cavity when cutting blind. So far I've only used it on one bear but it seems like it will all but replace my drop point and skinning knives. It handles almost everything very well without compromising to much on any specific task. I still need my caper/ bird and trout for small game and caping but this one seems like a winner.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:36 PM

simple victorien X wearing knife and a good sharpener. Like my Havalon as well. I've been interested in the outdoor edge knife like the Havalon.

I should add for caping too nothing beats a victorian X bird beak knife.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Banned

over the years I've used probably 25/30 different knives and never really fallen in love with any of them (there are a handful I preferred over most)

anyhow, last winter I bought an outdoor edge with a replaceable blade.....I may have found one to REALLY like.

only skinned a cow with it so far, but think that if it will do a whole beef (it did), it should be good enough for any wild game smaller than a buffalo.

no more messing with a stone, just put on a new blade.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:18 PM

Puma Hardirabbit with a custom sheath made by Horseman.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:05 AM

Havalon - Original

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2016, 10:16 AM

Default Favorite skinning knife

I own several fancy knives, but to be honest, the best skinning knife for me is the cheap plastic utility knives that your can buy for a dollar at the hardware store. They are always razor sharp. Just slide an inch or two out at a time, and break the tip off when they get dull. Have some replacement blades on hand, and you are good to go. You can put half a dozen of them in your pack, and if you lose one, it's no big deal. Laugh if you want, but they really do the trick for me.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Banned

The only dedicated skinning knife I've ever owned...

Outdoor Edge Razor Blaze

Old 08-21-2016, 11:31 PM

Havalon hands down

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
Havalon hands down

Agreed!! Outdoor Edge is nice but I would take the Havalon or Utility knife first. The back bone of outdoor edge is very ridged, I find it hard to get into the tight spots like bear paws or around animals horn burrs. I like the flex in the blade of Havalon knives. Love them. Skinned a mole tonight for fun with it!

Old 08-22-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckwell View Post
Agreed!! Outdoor Edge is nice but I would take the Havalon or Utility knife first. The back bone of outdoor edge is very ridged, I find it hard to get into the tight spots like bear paws or around animals horn burrs. I like the flex in the blade of Havalon knives. Love them. Skinned a mole tonight for fun with it!

I also like the option to throw on the havalon bonesaw or fillet blades.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:57 AM

I use the Gerber Vital.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 AM

This is what I use

Buck ergo hunter pro. Good s30v stainless steel, super sharp, nice round belly for skinning. Apparently they don't make it anymore.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:03 AM

Just bought a buck 113 ranger this summer, think it's gonna be a good one to skin with. Hoping I won't lose like ive done with a few of my other skinners...
Old 08-22-2016, 10:04 AM

I have the same Ergohunter Pro Oko, I think they are discontinued but can still be found in new-old-stock online. I had seen one in Cabela's bargain cave within the last year. They remind me a lot of the Puma White Hunter blade profile without the price point of one, but still an excellent quality blade. The S30V on the Buck is arguably the better steel of the two, it just doesn't have the German cachet or antler handle. A hunting mentor who was also a butcher had a Puma White Hunter so I figured "good enough for him....." when selecting the similar Ergohunter. I also have the folder version of it seen here which seems to be limited to remaining stock on Bucks website:

http://www.buckknives.com/product/58...tion/0588BO-B/

Puma for comparison:
http://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/default.aspx
Old 08-22-2016, 12:31 PM

Knives of Alaska Trekker series Elk Hunter w/black suregrip.
It was a gift from my brother.
https://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=110

Last edited by Huntsman; 08-22-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:48 PM

This baby showed up at the shop this morning. Can't wait to try it out this fall!
Old 08-22-2016, 03:59 PM

I got one of those Benchmade Nestucca's for my wife last month Madball, she really loves it in the kitchen. A year or so back I bought one of those Alaskan Ulu's that I happened across for a great price on Kijiji and she took to it like a duck to water. It was brand new with the dished cutting board. I thought the Nestucca would be a step up in an Ulu-type knife that she would also like.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:37 PM

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/32044/...e-trader-knife

I got this knife set as a present 12 years ago. The gut hook and saw blade were aweful to use for various reasons and they have since been chucked. The 3.5" drop point blade is my go to. I have a few other knives but this always seems to be my go to. I use it for gutting and skinning. sharpens up nicely and holds its edge pretty good.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I got one of those Benchmade Nestucca's for my wife last month Madball, she really loves it in the kitchen. A year or so back I bought one of those Alaskan Ulu's that I happened across for a great price on Kijiji and she took to it like a duck to water. It was brand new with the dished cutting board. I thought the Nestucca would be a step up in an Ulu-type knife that she would also like.
Nice! It looks like its going to work really well! I usually just use my Gerber Vital for everything, but it'll be nice to have something bigger for the Moose I finally got a tag for
Old 08-22-2016, 08:06 PM

Buck 119