Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-06-2002, 01:22 AM
fur prices

Default fur prices

What kind of money are Coyotes and foxes going for these days? Same for beaver and rats? Where can I get this information on a regular basis?
Thanks
Robin.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:37 PM
Rob

Hey Duffy,

It's hard to say what fur prices will be this year as there has only really been one auction to date, and it was basically a sell off of what didn't sell last season.

The next auction (through NAFA) won't take place until February. This auction should give everybody an idea of the market, however, their seems to be a consensus that prices will be up.

In the February auction at NAFA of last season the following happened:

Coyote
West Heavy - 45.49 (avg) - 71.91 (top)
West Semi - 34.00 (avg) - 53.55 (top)

Red Fox - 44.29 (avg) - 74.97 (top)

Beaver - 33.63 (avg) - 73.44 (top)

Muskrat - 2.80 (avg) - 4.59 (top)

The early auction of this year saw rats going for a good increase. These rats were probably caught this past spring when they were prime.

3.75 (avg) - 5.54 (top)

You can get the information through either the North American Fur Auction (NAFA) or the Fur Harvesters Auction but expect prices to vary between the two auction houses. I've yet to ship fur to the Fur Harvesters so I can't say much about them, but NAFA has treated me well so far and will get my fur again this season.

As well there are local fur buyers around the province who will pay cash for your furs. Some good, some not so good.

Hope this helps,
Rob
Old 01-06-2002, 11:57 PM
Fur prices

Default Fur prices

What do you need to beable to sell fur. Like if I was to shoot a coyote could I sell it.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:31 AM
Fur prices

Default Fur prices

Thanks Rob
That gives me a ball park idea. I have never had enough to bother with shipping to an auction. I have usually just sold to Hudsons bay buyer of "****kers" in Edmonton years ago. I might get a chance to shoot a few coyotes and foxes and will prepair the pelts.

I have heard of people shooting coyotes and selling then unskinned and frozen (to a trapper who would then handle the fur) but I can't recall a $ figure or who was buying.
Robin.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:27 PM
Rob

Default Re: Fur prices

Shawners,

Sorry for the slow response but I must have somehow missed your post.

Yes you can sell the coyote to a local fur buyer if you shot it, however, you are not allowed to trap the animal unless you have the proper training (Trapper Education Course) and a Trappers Licence.

January is the best time to harvest coyotes as they are most prime at this time.

Local fur buyers will buy coyotes in the raw (unskinned), however, they will pay a lot less for them this way. If the coyote is shot up too bad you will also get less for the animal as there is going to be some sewing required.

A coyote that isn't shot up too bad, sold raw, will usually fetch you between $10 and $20 - the price will be set by the fur buyer.

Hope this helps,
Rob
Old 02-19-2002, 02:48 PM
fur prices/sale

Default fur prices/sale

Does any one know of a fur buyer in the Edmonton Area? Shot a couple dogs and skinned them out, so if I can pay for the gas I spent, that would be great
Old 02-19-2002, 09:15 PM
Rob

Default Re: fur prices/sale

Try ****ker Fur:

8629 - 126 Avenue
Ph: 474-5552

Rob
Old 12-02-2002, 01:41 PM
How about the Calgary area?

Default How about the Calgary area?

How about the Calgary area? can you direct me to any buyers, as I occasionally get a few dogs as well?
Old 12-03-2002, 12:17 AM
Rob

Default Re: How about the Calgary area?

Hey Elkhunter

I'm not sure of any raw fur buyers in the Calgary area but you could try Marty and Marilyn Senneker in Hays. They ship to NAFA but may also buy privately, not sure but you can give them a call in Hays at 403-725-2283. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Rob
Old 12-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Coyote Prices

Default Coyote Prices

****ker is paying $40 for a whole coyote in good condition. Should be fun!!
Old 02-01-2003, 03:18 PM
prime coyotes

Default prime coyotes

I hate to have to correct you on this but generally by January, coyotes are going to be badly rubbed and prices will drop accordingly. You should start trapping or shooting coyotes in late october through to december, Keeping an eye on the quality of the fur to decide when to cease operations. The flesh side will be a little black in october yet, but the price will be better than in january.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:49 PM
primeness of pelts

Default primeness of pelts

Starting to trap and shoot coyotes in October is a big mistake. The leather color "blue" is a big selling point and will be a major deduction when it comes to selling your fur. January is the "most reliable time" to do your trapping and shooting but with the weather as it has been in Alberta, you never can tell. Prices will not be better in October then they will in January
Old 03-26-2003, 12:49 AM
Primeness of Pelts

Default Primeness of Pelts

I like pelts anytime the season is open (trapping), however the best pelts are mid November through to mid January, give or take a week or two. Early pelts in October still bring a good dollar, as do late January and early February. Remember trapping is closed end of Febraury unless you get a permit. I have taken animals via my .223 ( hunting is year round) in April and made good dollars but after late January you really have to be more selective or you get the rubbed dogs from them running through the bushes breeding. They still bring a pretty good dollar and the fun is worth it!
Old 05-01-2003, 02:32 AM
fur buyers

Default fur buyers

Call ****ker they travel all over alberta.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:03 PM
fur pri

Default fur prices

I went out the and shot me a few songdogs. does any one know of any fur buyers in the Salt Lake area? looking to get $20-$30 each. thanks
Old 02-05-2004, 08:36 AM
selling skinned and unskinned coyotes and fox

Default selling skinned and unskinned coyotes and fox

I manage a ranch in a small western valley town in Wyoming where our common temps in dec,jan,and feb run from 20 to 40 below which makes for some beautiful coyote and fox pelts, some I have skinned, and some I have just frozen, I beleive I have 11 coyotes and one fox at the present, but as much fun as I'm having, I'd be willing to bet that by the end of Feb, I'll have around 40 to 50. Now all of these coyotes around here are silvery blue, is that a good color, or are the rusty dogs bringing in more money? and how big of a price difference are we talking about when it comes to selling skinned and whole dogs.Also, does it pay to skin and have your hides tanned before you sell, what kind of $ are we talking about here? One more question, do you know of any fur buyers in the jackson wyoming area?
Old 02-05-2004, 07:06 PM
critter

Default Coyotes

Catman,

Good to have you onboard. Up here in Canada, light colored, white belly, fully furred coyotes are worth the most. Skin 'em, flesh 'em, dry 'em, and sell them at the auction, (NAFA), or to a private buyer. I am not aware of a market for tanned hides. Hope this helps. Are you strictly shooting them, or trapping as well? Send some of that cold weather this way!!

regards,

Critter
Old 02-06-2004, 03:59 PM
reply to skinner

Default reply to skinner

well, I have the luxury of taking care of 600 wintering elk, and a trap on a winterkill carcass always works well, however, on my way out, I make it a religion to carry my 22-243 milldestead over my shoulder. also, a good powder sled and a 26 ounce hammer works VERY well!! got four more this morning, all silver, 50 pounds or better!! A quick question, how long can I expect these coyotes to be in such prime condition in this cold weather that lasts soooo long?
Old 02-06-2004, 04:03 PM
reply to CRITTER

Default reply to CRITTER

sorry critter, I wasn't paying attention to who I was sending my reply to. so the reply to skinner, actually goes to you.:\
Old 02-07-2004, 11:59 PM
fur prices

Default fur prices

This is where experience will show. In your area, which is quite different from mine yote wise, there will be some conciderations. You will have to learn from your fellow trappers to find out when the best time to harvest the best fur for your area. In MN here, there are different areas that seem to prime up before others. The opposite applies as well.
Here in MN, I rarely see a yote go for more than $20 US.
If I am not mistaken, your area has great yotes compared to ours, therefore if you put them up well, you should reap the rewards of a well handled fur.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:03 AM
critter

Default Coyotes

Up here, end of Feb. is about it for hide quality. By then they are rubbed due to mating, they lose guard hairs when they bed down in the snow, and exposure to the sun bleaches the hides as well. I've found the really nice ones are still pretty good, but the average ones are of no market value by then.

Cheers,

Critter
Old 02-08-2004, 12:12 PM
coyotes and fur prices

Default coyotes and fur prices

critter and foxtail:

Thanks for your valuable info. Yes, I also have been told by some of the old boys around here that we have some of the finest dog furs in the country, so if that info has made it all the way out there, then it must be true. A fur buyer that I found locally has offered 50-60 bucks for prime pelts, I hope I am preparing my hides correctly. You know what my biggest problem is? It's that I look at all of these beautiful hides and instead of seeing a dollar sign, I see them decorating my house!! On another note, I have this HUGE crafty male that won't approach my traps, and won't come to my rabbit squealer, he never lets me get within rifle range either. Is it true that breeding season is here? If so, does ANYONE know where I can get a quality tally-ho call? either that, or a bit of advice on how to bring in this silvery devil?:evil :evil
Old 02-08-2004, 01:02 PM
prices

Default prices

If you feel that the pelt belongs tanned on your wall, then that is the place for it. Sometimes the fur is worth more to a person than the money it may bring at auction.

Either way you go, if you feel that it is where you want it, that is the correct choice.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:04 PM
coyotes

Default coyotes

foxtail: so true. You know, I am a beginner at this, and I had absolutely NO idea how much success I would have killing dogs, three a day has been my average this last week, oh, and by the way, the old crafty devil fell yesterday. what a whopper! when I get my new photos developed I'll show you how big he was! I am only 5'6'', and when my wife took the photo of him skinned out last night, i had to hold his nose a foot over my head so his tail wouldn't touch the ground!! He had flattened canines, what an old battler.. you can bet your hiney he'll hang here in the cabin!!

Rob, how do I post photos on this site?