Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-03-2018, 12:40 PM

Default new toy, a black gun for a change, GSG STG 44 22LR

C71 made me feel like I should buy a black gun out of spite. Saw ads for a GSG STG44 22LR just before that, decided if I saw one for a decent price at the Easter gun show, I'd grab one. It has the proper history factor going for it for me. Came with a 10 and a 25rd mag, added another 25. Got it out to see how it functioned, perfect, used mixed ammo after running 200 Stingers thru it, flawless. Just don't try an 11th or a 26th round, no workee, won't pick it up properly. Shot well, old eyes were in need of a scope though.

UTG STG44 mount is not to be had in Canada, none around, backordered. Tried an MP5 reversible low rail, would not tighten up, junky product anyway. Put on a Dophee MP5 rail, had to remove the rear sight to clear the scope with high rings, charge handle clearance was snug, only went on one way, and it is short in length for adjusting the scope position. Works though. Sighted it in and shot a few gophers with that on, that was fun.

Scope is a Leaper 3-12x40, side AO down to 10 yds or something like that, I set it at 50. Has an illuminated mildot reticle (36 colours!!), under 200.00, cool. Is a weighty l'il sucker though.

I broke down and ordered a UTG MP5 Stanag mount for it, that mounts properly, clears the rear sight with med rings, rail is long enough to position the mount to proper eye relief and it has room around the charge handle.

Had to shorten the lock leg on it a bit to get it to drop into the lock slot, cam rotation wasn't quite enough to get there, would need a snipe on the lever. Wasn't going there on that thought.

So, i's complete now other than a socket for a QD sling mount for the stock need to be found. And this puppy need a sling, pretty sure it is 12-13 lbs now.

Not sure what is going on with pics function, can't load from my computer, Photobucket direct link and Imgur will not load under manage attachments, but an Imgur link pasted into the post seems to work;

https://imgur.com/a/05XCQrz

Last edited by 32-40win; 06-03-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:24 PM

Although I wouldn't quite classify it as a scary black rifle - more of an unnerving brown rifle - the GSG is a heck of a homage to the original 'Storm rifle'. Probably a better raspberry to the powers that be. Unfortunately it's probably too subtle for them. Probably looking up to see if it's raining.

Colin