Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You could make a 375 RUM or H&H, RUM brass is easy to sell, out of it, or you could put a brake on it for target shooting, take it off for hunting. Kick is irrelevant when shooting at game but I agree the RUMS particularly are nasty kicking guns, both the 7 RUM and 300 RUM have a real sharp punch to them that is way more than unpleasant. Until I put a Mercury recoil suppressor and Decelerator pad on my 7 RUM it was the nastiest kicking gun I have ever shot, more unpleasant than my 460 Bee.

Now I have a Kantrol clamp on brake for it that I use for target work and take it off to hunt. I would try the same thing, Mercury recoil suppressor, Pachmeyre Decelerator pad for hunting and removable brake for targets, with your 300 RUM before swapping out the barrel.
I've heard the kahntrol brake is a good one. I have a thread on brake on it and yes it is more manageable but sure not likeable. I'll see about a mercury tube. Used one in my trap gun years ago and they do work. Maybe a guy just has to shoot it more to like it or give it to one of the kids and get something I like.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:49 PM

35-300RUM would be great. Just a bit more than the 358STA and it is a hammer of thor.
This would be a fantastic choice.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
35-300RUM would be great. Just a bit more than the 358STA and it is a hammer of thor.
This would be a fantastic choice.
Don't find much info on anyone doing such a thing but ya it might be a gooder. Back to corlanes I go. Lol
Old 05-30-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I've heard the kahntrol brake is a good one. I have a thread on brake on it and yes it is more manageable but sure not likeable. I'll see about a mercury tube. Used one in my trap gun years ago and they do work. Maybe a guy just has to shoot it more to like it or give it to one of the kids and get something I like.
One of the biggest problem with factory Rem RUMs is they are built way too light for the amount of kick they generate. This is true of a lot of the 300 mag family no matter what North American brand makes them. The added weight of the Mercury tube in the butt stock and one in the forearm helps a lot with muzzle rise, lengthens the recoil pulse and adds some very helpful weight to the gun. That and it is a relatively inexpensive fix.

With the Kahntrol on it I can shoot the gun in my T-shirt no problem. Makes it kick about like a 7-08. I did a detailed write up here on AO about the brake on the RUM.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:43 PM
Banned

I read your post about the kahntrol brake. Good write up by the way.
I'll try the mercury trick but to tell the the truth I just don't like any 30 cal mag. I like the gun just fine but it was a impulse that seemed like a good idea and deal at the time.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Banned

maybe do some shopping this way?

http://www.twoamendments.com/post/ri...table-sortable

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a425518.pdf

https://www.chuckhawks.com/caliber_r...ght_recoil.htm

https://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

https://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_...un_recoil.html

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

give other ways to look and compare to things you already know to get what you don't want and more what you want

so a 308 with a decent rifle weight gives around that 15 lbs recoil energy permitted for military to shoot couple hundred rounds a day

with a 6.5 grendel i can throw same bc, same s.d. with similar trajectory (just 123 gr instead of 168 gr bullet) and do so with about 60% less recoil energy...what's not to love about that sort of data? i've got about 50 rounds of grendel downrange now and have to say it's a treat but it is also more than i thought it was going to be recoil wise, solid little thumper that definitely puts a smile on my face to pull the trigger! it's going to be a riot running these around for predators and some big game too

the creedmoor will be a little under .308 numbers for recoil energy, that much more pleasant to sit behind, creedmore shootmore

anyway, have fun with the data and calculators

brakes work but really, that muzzle blast gets old too, so does the swapping between brake and thread protector depending, or dealing with hearing protection with hunting or pay the price when you don't on a braked rig
Old 05-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Banned

Thanks stinky. I'll do some reading after work.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:08 PM

I built a 358sta and its an absolute hammer, 225gr bullets at 3200fps are no joke. Im using 8mm rem mag brass fire formed to 358sta
Old 05-30-2018, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
I built a 358sta and its an absolute hammer, 225gr bullets at 3200fps are no joke. Im using 8mm rem mag brass fire formed to 358sta
You only have 5117 ft/lbs muzzle energy...good lord man just run em over with your truck when they cross the road
Old 05-30-2018, 04:39 PM

Yes, I hear yha NW.

Same reason I jumped out of the Weatherby Magnum line up. Got some nice Elk Harvests over the years,,, but I could of used lesser of a cartrage for the same hunts.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Banned

I got a rifle that will hopefully clear customs this week and be here by the end of next week. It's just a pea shooter but I'll post pics of all the critters that don't get away from it. It'll be another 4 years before I can shoot a moose but there's plenty of elk out there with Creedmoor written all over them!
Old 05-30-2018, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I got a rifle that will hopefully clear customs this week and be here by the end of next week. It's just a pea shooter but I'll post pics of all the critters that don't get away from it. It'll be another 4 years before I can shoot a moose but there's plenty of elk out there with Creedmoor written all over them!
Good luck with the needmore
Old 05-30-2018, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good luck with the needmore
I'll need more freezer space come fall!
Old 05-30-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Haha beauty
Old 05-30-2018, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good one.

If for what ever reason it doesn't live up to the hype I could loan you a gun that will get the job done.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good one.

If for what ever reason it doesn't live up to the hype I could loan you a gun that will get the job done.
Get back to me in 5 years on that. Maybe if they're still making your ammo I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
I would imagine a 35x300 rum would be comparable. Something I'll be sure to look into and report back when I talk to corlanes
Old 05-31-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
The 300rum isn't shot out. I think very few are. Just don't like it or any 30 cal magnum. Imo they're better off thrown in the bush.
My 300 RUM barrel is DONE at 1700 rounds. So I am going to re barrel it to 338 EDGE. I really liked the the 300 RUM, but mine has a heavy adjustable HS stock, jewel trigger, braked etc. Shot the 215 Berger extremely well, with the farthest deer killed at 734 yds. As far as a earlier post about the Sherman reloading supplies they are available. If I was to build another one I'd go 6.5 SS which is the short mag version; only because there is now fully formed brass available. For the LA 6.5 SHERMAN all you need is to fire form 270 WIN brass. I usually just use the COW (cream of wheat) method. Lots of info and support over on Long Range Hunting forum. The designer of the Sherman is also very good to answer questions, calls and emails. He also just put up a website Sherman wildcats I believe is what it's called.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:39 AM
Banned

338 edge is a good choice imo. I think I'll explore this mercury recoil reducer that stinky coyote mentioned and if me and the 300 rum still can't get along I'll turn it into a 358x300 rum. Got 2 338 am and a 338 rum so other than getting away from the 300 a 338 edge won't bring much more to the table then the 338 rum.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:18 AM
Banned

wasn't me on the mercury recoil reducer, i'm all about burning less powder to reduce recoil
Old 05-31-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
You only have 5117 ft/lbs muzzle energy...good lord man just run em over with your truck when they cross the road

375ruger on the right for comparisson
Old 05-31-2018, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
wasn't me on the mercury recoil reducer, i'm all about burning less powder to reduce recoil
My apologies. Dean's advice.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Alberta made

Curious what’s special about this rifle that you can’t buy or have made here in Alberta or Canada? Is it price point only?

Quote:
Old 05-31-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

there's only one Melvin , be nice to clone that guy and have one this side of border too lol (Kurt can expand) Peace
Old 05-31-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Curious what’s special about this rifle that you can’t buy or have made here in Alberta or Canada? Is it price point only?
Once you use one of Melvin's Ultra Light Rifles you won't have to ask that question. I have tried all the ultra light weights and many customs. Melvin produces a far superior product, unmatched any where at any price. His price of $3,500 U,S. is actually one of the best deals in custom guns you could ever find. I would pay double that for one of his guns.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
My 300 RUM barrel is DONE at 1700 rounds. So I am going to re barrel it to 338 EDGE. I really liked the the 300 RUM, but mine has a heavy adjustable HS stock, jewel trigger, braked etc. Shot the 215 Berger extremely well, with the farthest deer killed at 734 yds. As far as a earlier post about the Sherman reloading supplies they are available. If I was to build another one I'd go 6.5 SS which is the short mag version; only because there is now fully formed brass available. For the LA 6.5 SHERMAN all you need is to fire form 270 WIN brass. I usually just use the COW (cream of wheat) method. Lots of info and support over on Long Range Hunting forum. The designer of the Sherman is also very good to answer questions, calls and emails. He also just put up a website Sherman wildcats I believe is what it's called.
I think there's only a handful of Shermans in Canada at most, hasn't quite caught on YET. I just finished my 338 Sherman Shortmag, Whidden dies just showed up yesterday. I'm forming my own brass.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:10 PM

I’m thinking in anticipation of your seniors discount licence perhaps a 303 is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2018, 08:08 PM

Will be a nice gun Ruby. Keep us informed.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
I’m thinking in anticipation of your seniors discount licence perhaps a 303 is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. I’ve got aways to go but I figure a guy has to look after the geriatrics. Figure after talking to a member from here that the 35x300 rum is the way to go. Can’t wait for a day off to head up to Dawson and see what those fellas can do for me.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Banned

Default Option

What about a 28 nosler?