Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Banned

Default Remington 700 Actions and Custom Builds

Do you people consider a rifle built off a Remington 700 action an actual "custom" build?

The reason I ask this is because I had what I consider a custom build done off a Remington 700 SS action. When I posted this on another forum, I was told it wasn't a true custom build because I used a Remington 700 action. The barrel was a blank Shilen, the stock was a Boyd's and was bedded. The 700 action was trued also.

No, the action wasn't one of those $1500 Bats, Stillers or Surgeons. But, I consider my 700 build a custom build.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM

I have a "custom" Savage 243AI, I do not consider it a true custom.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevGuy View Post
Do you people consider a rifle built off a Remington 700 action an actual "custom" build?

The reason I ask this is because I had what I consider a custom build done off a Remington 700 SS action. When I posted this on another forum, I was told it wasn't a true custom build because I used a Remington 700 action. The barrel was a blank Shilen, the stock was a Boyd's and was bedded. The 700 action was trued also.

No, the action wasn't one of those $1500 Bats, Stillers or Surgeons. But, I consider my 700 build a custom build.
OMGosh....who cares what they think. I think any changes you make to a stock design are customization's....Just because you chose a remmy action over another has no bearing on it at all....IMHO
Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 PM

I suppose some would only consider it a true custom build if you pounded the action out of an ingot by hand.

Personally I consider it a custom if you took the time to piece together your rifle, whether from prefab parts or truly custom-made pieces. You chose the parts and made them into a working tool. Anyone who has the skill and patience to do that gets a big thumbs up from me
Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 PM

Who cares if you use a Remington or whatever. You change the barrel and stock and that's a custom rifle. Here's a Rem M 600 custom.

006.jpg
Old 12-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
OMGosh....who cares what they think. I think any changes you make to a stock design are customization's....Just because you chose a remmy action over another has no bearing on it at all....IMHO
I agree...whenever you take parts and sum them into a functional whole thing....it's custom.

LC
Old 12-09-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
You can put as much money into a 700 action as it costs for a Bat, Stiller or whatever. Thing is you will rarely recover your investment in the 700 if you ever sell it, they are worth about the same as a plain non customized 700. Don't really know why people customize 700's, guess it's because they are easily available, by the time you have finished a proper customization you could have bought one of the boutique actions that give a far better return on your investment.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Banned

I bet some of these custom builds on 700 actions shoot just as good as those $1500 actions.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 PM

I love my .223 A/I , Rem 700 , custom barrel . It shoots as good as anything else I've ever shot !!!
My little wolf gun .....
IMG_1703.JPG
Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I bet some of these custom builds on 700 actions shoot just as good as those $1500 actions.
I will bet they do not, if you are so inclined bring one of your trued actions to a Benchrest match in calgary this year and see if you can shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yard aggregate for 5 5 shot groups in the wind we shoot a lot less

ALL DAY

and yes these groups are shot off of a

Cement Bench
Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
I will bet they do not, if you are so inclined bring one of your trued actions to a Benchrest match in calgary this year and see if you can shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yard aggregate for 5 5 shot groups in the wind we shoot a lot less

ALL DAY

Cement Bench
My custom 6.5 Creedmoor (built on a 700 action) can shoot 1/2 moa no problem. Not sure what you are barking about.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
You can put as much money into a 700 action as it costs for a Bat, Stiller or whatever. Thing is you will rarely recover your investment in the 700 if you ever sell it, they are worth about the same as a plain non customized 700. Don't really know why people customize 700's, guess it's because they are easily available, by the time you have finished a proper customization you could have bought one of the boutique actions that give a far better return on your investment.
Try selling a build on a custom receiver. Its bath time. Stolle Panda won't return any more money when selling then a similarly set up Rem 40X or Rem 700 in comparable builds. What sells easily these days are rifles with huge bolt knobs and 20 shot magazines. I have RPA Quadlocks and Quadlights, Hall Machine, Defiance, Stolle and Bordon. The loss taken when selling would be the same or more than the money "wasted" on a Rem 700. So I just keep collecting like a dummy. Tried to sell a couple Stolle Panda 6 PPC's in McMillan stocks. Best offer received was $1500.00. That pays for the receiver and the Jewell trigger, but not the stock or the three barrels chambered. Single shot custom bolt actions are "taboo".
Old 12-10-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Who cares if you use a Remington or whatever. You change the barrel and stock and that's a custom rifle. Here's a Rem M 600 custom.

Attachment 83361
holy tank lol nice build
Old 12-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Banned

I need more exposure to the world, custom was adding optics then reloaded to make it work.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:

ALL DAY

Cement Bench
i have seen a FEW rem 700 actions on the winners stands as well all depends who has a better day it takes alot of SKILL and luck is in there as well...we all have our good days and our bad days....hurts less with a custom rem is my 2 cents
Old 12-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:

There is a TON of semantics in the world now, it is even worse on the net.
Many think a "true" custom rifle is based on a custom made action , stock etc, where as a "customized" factory rifle is the norm. Many rifles are built on someones factory action being the only component retained in the rifle and typically they are reworked. Fortunately it seems , gone are the days of customizing a mil surp action due to the higher labor costs and the lower costs of many actions like the 700s.

Being on several forums, I see guys who claim their "custom" rifle is this or that but in reality it may only have the stock changed and a few minor modifications like bolt knob or some paint work.
In my mind that does not make up a custom rifle, any more than putting mags a loud stereo and racing stripes on a from factory stock car. YMMV
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:

ALL DAY

Cement Bench

My 243ai build on a remington700 will shoot 1/4 moa all day. What does the wind have to do with it when it comes to a action being able to produce good groups? Tightest group out of my 243 is 5 shots at 100= .112
Old 12-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka boom View Post
My 243ai build on a remington700 will shoot 1/4 moa all day. What does the wind have to do with it when it comes to a action being able to produce good groups? Tightest group out of my 243 is 5 shots at 100= .112
So if you were to shoot 5x5 shot groups all those five groups (25 shots) would fall under 1/4 inch? EVERYTIME you hit the range?

Impressive! can you share a bit on your bench set up and technique?

LC
Old 12-10-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
So if you were to shoot 5x5 shot groups all those five groups (25 shots) would fall under 1/4 inch? EVERYTIME you hit the range?

Impressive! can you share a bit on your bench set up and technique?

LC
Where did I say every time I'm at the range. I don't shoot it at 100 yards all the time when I was laid developing I never had I group go over 1/2 moa even when I was fire forming probably a lot of luck there. I built it for a long range coyote gun and if I go to the range I shoot long distance. If I do my part it will shoots 1.5 groups at 650 yards. Or tighter. I still don't understand what the wind has to do with the way the actions will perform
Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 AM

So you don't actually mean 1/4 all day then.

How do you judge the performance of an action without shooting it? Unless you have a 100m indoor range, wind plays a roll.

LC
Old 12-10-2013, 11:16 AM

regardless of which action...my rifles are built "ON" the action,...not off.....never could understand that terminology.

And any rifle that's rebarreled and restocked coud be called "custom"..especially if the chambering and/or contour is not factory produced in that configuration.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
X2
Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 PM

This is a store bought rem 700 varmint in 308. I had some left over hard wood flooring that I repurposed into a replacement stock. I have been shooting since I bought it and I am sure that it will improve drastically when the Kreiger barrel gets fitted and the action get trued by Henry this spring.

Going the 700 route enable me to do things in step and get some shooting in between. Feels pretty "custom" to me...

Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 PM

Sorry, I am not sure why the pics didn't come through. Here are the links

https://picasaweb.google.com/1045557...42504618780882

https://picasaweb.google.com/1045557...42521373679346

https://picasaweb.google.com/1045557...42503714267234

https://picasaweb.google.com/1045557...42519609746018
Old 12-10-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
So you don't actually mean 1/4 all day then.

How do you judge the performance of an action without shooting it? Unless you have a 100m indoor range, wind plays a roll.

LC
Figure out the moa at that range if I'm shooting 1.5 at 650yards. And what you are saying is a custom action will shoot better in the wind then a factory trued action. That has nothing to do with the action. That's all caliber and bullet choice and capability of the shooter. The action can't control anything once the bullet has left the barrel
Old 12-10-2013, 01:56 PM

Default A Question?

I have a Rem 700. It was orginally a .243 sps. I removed the stock and put a bell and carslon medalist on it. I removed the trigger and have a jewel on it. The barrel is now a Krieger 6MM Br stainless in 1 in 8 twist. The action has been trued and reworked. I have a new bolt knob on it too. Is this now a custom rifle or not?

The reason i ask is this, nothing of the original rifle is left over. The action is kinda the same but it has been changed also. The reason i built the rifle out like this is that my smith told me to do it this way. He competes nationally. If i remember correctly he cam in 8th last year. He shoots a rem 700 that he customized.

I went to one of the local high end gun shops and was thinking of building a 6.5x47 Lapua. They custom build build there own actions. I asked them if i should use there or buy a Rem 700 and build off it. There was about $1000 price difference. I asked if there action would make the rifle more accurate. They replied very honestly and said no it wouldnt. They did say the custom action they built was smoother cycling.

I was told by my smith that the reason they use Rem 700 actions for customs is that there are so many parts available for it. He used an example of a firing pin spring. Most manufacturers only make a single version of the spring. Rem 700 makes several different versions. It is also a very strong dependable action that has stood the test of time.

Last edited by markg; 12-10-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I have a Rem 700. It was orginally a .243 sps. I removed the stock and put a bell and carslon medalist on it. I removed the trigger and have a jewel on it. The barrel is now a Krieger 6MM Br stainless in 1 in 8 twist. The action has been trued and reworked. I have a new bolt knob on it too. Is this now a custom rifle or not?
I think it is.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
I need more exposure to the world, custom was adding optics then reloaded to make it work.
I added a beautiful Self made piece of birch to my .223 rem 700. and a lower metal and AI mag. Custom? I also just sprayed some boxliner on the Sako TRG-S in .338 Lupua so I guess custom grips are in order too!!
Just a couple dollars worth, Having fun, with the magpies at 250M.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka boom View Post
Figure out the moa at that range if I'm shooting 1.5 at 650yards. And what you are saying is a custom action will shoot better in the wind then a factory trued action. That has nothing to do with the action. That's all caliber and bullet choice and capability of the shooter. The action can't control anything once the bullet has left the barrel
No I never said that....

LC
Old 12-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Wouldn't a custom be anything that isn't a regular production item that is built to ones specs? I'd say its a Custom. It would be like hot-rodding a car. You use bits n pieces from different manufacturers to end up with your "custom" ride.