Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 07:40 PM

Default Bob Creek Insights

Just looking for some input.
I’ve been in there a number of times, foot and horse, have done a fair bit of scouting from home and eyes on, and one chat with a conservation officer (still trying to drum up more)....so I’m putting in my homework but I’m still getting very mixed messages. I have dedicated 8 days to hunt with a trad bow on horse, (I do have plan B but a very different trip in the far north) was set for this area but my recent scouting trip has me second guessing. Saw very little sign.
So...some say theres a good resident heard, some not and that we’re better off waiting for the migration in late season...?
Obviously the parking area gets lots of foot traffic, so we pushed 8 miles in before scouting and just saw cattle...?
I know their in the surrounding country on private, is there enough in this area to go after or am I better off with plan B? I would love the experience of backcountry on horse, but plan B has a much better chance of taking game with my bow (which I’ve used a few seasons and is an itch I have yet to scratch. )
Are they fairly vocal? Or do they sneak round in the timber?
Are they concentrated on one side or the other? Or sparsely mixed throughout?
Any input on this area would be incredible, elk related or not, as I’ve read just about every article, hiking guide, or blog I can find on this place!
If you have insight your willing to share, great! If not, kindly go blow smoke elsewhere...it’s bad for my health. Pms are fine. Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2019, 12:02 PM

Use your horses to cover more ground. Scouting this time of year is difficult due to the long hot days keep the elk in the timber during daylight hours. There are resident herds in there. Get away from the ATVs trails. I see elk 95% of the time I go in there. I do most spotting at daybreak and dusk .
Old 08-22-2019, 06:46 PM

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2019, 07:44 AM

In my experience:

*The bottom end of 308 is like a Superstore Parking lot on Saturday mornings, get out of there and get North. 8 miles would work per your comment.

*Are there more elk there later once some migratory numbers have moved out of BC and the 400's later on? Yes. Are there enough residents early? Yes. I nearly had one opening day last year.

*In my experience, early on, they're pretty quiet. 308 is the quietest elk area I've hunted (that's not to say there's not elk, just weren't vocal).

*Try to find drainages with active water but good timber cover - should work just fine with a trad bow. Utilize the ridgeline between Bob Creek and Camp Creek, or even more North than that.

Good luck and be safe!

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:54 AM

More mule deer in there than anything.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:43 PM

more hunters in there than anything
Old 08-23-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Use your horses to cover more ground. Scouting this time of year is difficult due to the long hot days keep the elk in the timber during daylight hours. There are resident herds in there. Get away from the ATVs trails. I see elk 95% of the time I go in there. I do most spotting at daybreak and dusk .
Some sound advice from LKILR.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 08-25-2019, 05:41 PM

Thanks so much for all the input and help I’ve received. For someone who learns this stuff by himself and often the hard way, this input is greatly appreciated.