Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Default Paper shotshell hulls

It's all I bought when I was a kid. Don't know how many manufacturers are making them but at least Federal is. Federal’s New Gold Medal Grand Paper Shotgun Shells

Sellier-Bellot makes them too and this is the brand of paper I usually bought as a kid.

So now I'm wanting some paper hulls. Any stores in AB carrying them?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:01 AM

I have one dealer that saves all of his Federal paper hulls for me , love those things fir my hammer doubles!
Cat
Old 07-18-2019, 10:02 AM

I just saw an ad that Rio is making a paper shell too.
I saw a few guys using the federal papers at a trap shoot recently, so they must be available in Alberta somewhere.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:38 AM

You can't beat the excitement a swollen paper hull gives you when birds are coming in and they won't go in the chamber.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
You can't beat the excitement a swollen paper hull gives you when birds are coming in and they won't go in the chamber.
LOL....I haven’t seen a paper shell in decades(1980s) and the few I’ve ever had were old then,from gramp’s basement,some of those (if not all?)were BP.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
That’s one reason I use
Paper for upland hunting only !!
Brass or plastic fir waterfowl fir sure!
Cat
Old 07-19-2019, 12:13 PM

Calgary Shooting Centre carries the Federal paper hulled ammo. It isn't cheap though.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
Calgary Shooting Centre carries the Federal paper hulled ammo. It isn't cheap though.
They’ll be less expensive to shoot once Turdo starts offering rebates on paper hulls to discourage buying single use plastic shells.
Shhhhhhhhh.....don’t tell the Libtards that plastic shells can be reloaded,they don’t have a clue about firearms they’ll never know,just keep yer mouth shut and cash the rebate cheques.😜
Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 PM

I bought a couple 100 count bags of Federal paper hulls at a gun show from the fellow that sells the ballistic products line in Canada. Is it Balizor? I'm not sure if it is something that he regularly stocks or if I just got lucky.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Bob View Post
I bought a couple 100 count bags of Federal paper hulls at a gun show from the fellow that sells the ballistic products line in Canada. Is it Balizor? I'm not sure if it is something that he regularly stocks or if I just got lucky.
Blazer? They do handgun ammo for sure. Gun show in Coleman in Aug, maybe show up there?
Old 07-24-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Blazer? They do handgun ammo for sure. Gun show in Coleman in Aug, maybe show up there?
Bilozir more likely..
He wanted to say.

S12
Old 07-24-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Will be in Coleman

https://www.bilozir.net/
Old 07-25-2019, 01:19 PM

I started shotshell loading with paper hulls, may still have some around, that was early 80's. I just used them as clay loads at the time. Seems to me I got a garbage bag full from a fella here in town that was a Cdn team shooter at the time. He owned a deli by our shop. I never went short of hulls from him, still have old AA's around from then. And wads, wonder if they are still any good?
Old 07-25-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I started shotshell loading with paper hulls, may still have some around, that was early 80's. I just used them as clay loads at the time. Seems to me I got a garbage bag full from a fella here in town that was a Cdn team shooter at the time. He owned a deli by our shop. I never went short of hulls from him, still have old AA's around from then. And wads, wonder if they are still any good?
I ran into an issue with some older (60’s and early 70’s) plastic wars that turned brittle and broke while seating them , very disconcerting !
Fibre wads and paper and plastic hills however are no problem .
Cat
Old 07-25-2019, 01:59 PM

Ya, I was thinking the plastics from back then, may be a bit suspect with aging, hard to say, I still have ammo loaded with wads from that era for my 20ga, that were loaded 20-25 yrs ago. Works on chickens. Seems to me I used fibre/cardboard wads on the paper ones, may have used plastic as well. I'd have to go back and look it up.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
Will be in Coleman

https://www.bilozir.net/
10 Aug...…………………….Yes
Old 07-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Default Paper shells

Pretty sure i have a couple left- loaded shells if someone is coming through beaumont some time
Old 08-03-2019, 11:35 PM

Default Paper hulls

Back in the early to mid70’s to mid 80’s federal psper trap loads were common I use to collect them at the trap club and reload them thru were great for soft recoil loads good for a couple of loadings then we’re pitched
Old 08-05-2019, 09:07 AM

Never fails, something new and improved comes out and people want to go Retro. They are biodegradable, brass corrodes and paper disintegrates .

Grizz