Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-07-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
However the op was inquiring about one piece rods so cables are irrelevant to this thread.
He asked if there was something else he should look at. I am grateful to the person who introduced me to the convenience of the cables, so I happily share for others to look at as an option.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Banned

I just use Dewey coated metal rods. I don’t see what the benefit of a carbon rod would be, and a cable wouldn’t do the job as good as a rod, especially for break in procedures.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:22 PM

Dewey for me. Been using them since 1997/98 or close to that time. Man that’s along time ago already and I am not 50 yet but getting close.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 AM

Thumbs up

I use a combination of Otis flex cables and stainless cleaning rods. Ivy stainless cleaning rods with chamber guides from Bore Rider Barrel Care Products. To make sure that cables are not touching the rifling l just need to remember to pull them centered and out the muzzle. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauvalkid View Post
I use a combination of Otis flex cables and stainless cleaning rods. Ivy stainless cleaning rods with chamber guides from Bore Rider Barrel Care Products. To make sure that cables are not touching the rifling l just need to remember to pull them centered and out the muzzle. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
I should have double checked my post. To clarify l do not use cables or rods at the same cleaning session l use them depending on where l am. In hunting camp l just take an Otis cable due to how compact they are.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauvalkid View Post
with chamber guides from Bore Rider Barrel Care Products.
Yes they made some great products. Unfortunately they have retired from the business.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:09 AM

See Wolverine is still listed as a dist for Parker Hale, they did have some rods in the store in 2016. I bought a new 22 rod while I was there. Certainly use that over a carbon rod of unknown hardness or construction. I've got 4 or 5 of the Parker rods.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
First choice Dewey, second choice Dewey.
xxxx the best rods
Old 07-10-2019, 12:17 PM

I have/use Dewey rods most, but since trying Pro Shot (from Nordic Marksman out east) they're my go-to now. I haven't replaced the Dewey ones, but anything new going forward=Pro Shot
Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I have/use Dewey rods most, but since trying Pro Shot (from Nordic Marksman out east) they're my go-to now. I haven't replaced the Dewey ones, but anything new going forward=Pro Shot
Never tried one, what do you like better about them? I order quite a bit of stuff from Nordic so would be easy to add a rod to next order.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
First choice Dewey, second choice Dewey.
^^^ This ^^^

If there was a third choice, Tipton has also been excellent in my experience
Old 07-11-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Never tried one, what do you like better about them? I order quite a bit of stuff from Nordic so would be easy to add a rod to next order.
These rods are not coated, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, the fact that no debris can embed in them, is a good thing.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:46 AM

Default Cleaning rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I need to replace a cleaning rod that I have, who makes the better one piece rifle cleaning rod these days, Tipton or Dewey? Or is there something else I should be looking at as well?

Thanks!
I did a lot of black powder shooting mostly 54 cal.Of course with very few shots the barrel was badly fouled.The wood rod,that came installed with the rifle, was not a good choice for cleaning.The danger of breakage, and injury very possible.A guided stainless steel rod,near indistructable.A coated guided rod,stainless,will provide safety,get the job done as it should be,and give years of service.A otis pull thru, gives convenience at the range,and on hunting trips. A very compact carry for all calibers,includeing shotguns,and sidearms.