Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-02-2016, 07:42 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Fur Institute Of Canada; Membership

So I have been aware of the existence of the Fur Institue of Canada all these years, but never had any idea whatsoever that it was an organization that we can join. It is an organization that we can join!

I encourage all trappers to join this organization immediately! Better than that, I encourage the differing Trapper associations to join immediately as well.

Here is a link to their membership info...

http://fur.ca/become-a-member/
Old 04-02-2016, 11:43 AM

Interesting idea Marty but for what purpose? What benefit would it offer trapping associations to be members?

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 04-02-2016, 04:18 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Interesting idea Marty but for what purpose? What benefit would it offer trapping associations to be members?
Probably the more members the more income they can generate. This is the government instituted body that is responsible for all the trap testing done in Canada, as far as I am aware. I believe you also recieve a publication that will help keep you up to speed as to what they are up to and are doing.

I'm sure our provincial association is a member, I am going to suggest to the SCTA that it joins, etc. Its my understanding that trapper association groups will have influence on the goings on.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:08 PM

Do they fund the trap testing? I was told that the trap manufacturers had to pay to have their traps certified? Would be nice to have more legal traps and less restrictions

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 04-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Banned

It seems to me that the ATA WAS a member but I thought they dropped out a number of years back for whatever reason I don't remember
Old 04-02-2016, 10:08 PM
AO Sponsor

I really don't know up from down with what the FIC does, but I am quite sure they use a significant amount of federal money. I think they try to recoup a little from the trap manufacturers, but from what I gather from talking to one, they dont have to pay much, comparatively to the cost of one test, but for the manufacturer, it's very expensive considering the numbers of traps that have to be tested per species.