Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 02:23 PM

Default 2017 Flagship or Current Midrange?

Hello,

I am currently shopping for a new bow. I have about a $1300 top end budget for a complete kit. I don't need arrows or a release.

I've looked at the Bowtech Carbon Icons with the DLX package. They are around $1,200.
It's pretty comfortable and I could see myself being happy with it. I liked it more than the Hoyt Powermax. Those are the only 2 bows I have been able to find in the Edmonton area in my price range (towards my limit) at a legitimate bow shop.

I've had my eye on the Prime Centergy Hybrid back in 2017 when I first got into bow hunting and I was able to find one online for $800 bare (new). I have never shot one before but everything I read on them in the forums is positive.

I tend to enjoy the longer ATA bows that I have shot in the past which is another positive in the Prime category.

Thoughts and advice?
Old 07-17-2020, 02:43 PM

Although the mid range priced bows are excellent bows for the money no doubt, my vote would be for the 2017 flagship all day. The premium technology in 2017 is still superior to mid range bows of today.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:44 PM

Personally I would go with the prime. That still leaves you room to get some better quality accessories than the package bows will offer you. Just my two cents though.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:50 PM

The DLX package on the Carbon Icon has fairly decent gear on it. Tight spot 5, Ripcord Ace,
Black Gold Sight

The prime comes with the full warranty and new strings every couple of years for the life of the bow.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:40 AM

Default New Elite Ritual

Looks like Cabbalas has the Elite Ritual on sale for $1200 from $1400. New unfired. Nice bows.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:20 AM

I will always assert you have to actually shoot a bow before you buy it, let the bow pick you. Go try as many as you can and even try to see if you can get the used bow setup to shoot before you buy it. What makes this tough is I think with the Prime you need a new set of cams and maybe strings if that cam is not your correct DL.

LC
Old 07-31-2020, 09:40 PM

I looked hard last year at carbon icon - Jimbows said it’s #1 selling bow and bowtech makes great bows. The weight is nice on it also and the accessories make it great value. If you plan to late season hunt don’t discount value of having a carbon bow! They make a huge difference. Previous post is great advice too - needs to feel right for you. Good luck with decision - it was a stressful but fun process for me last year.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:33 AM

I bought a Prime Centergy Hybrid in 2017. I absolutely love it. This bow definitely shoots better than I do. You will not regret that purchase.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:54 AM

Go with the prime, flagships are better and I don’t think bow technology has changed a bunch in the last three years. Good luck this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk