Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2009, 03:20 PM

Default Fishing in the Battle River

Just wondering if anyone here has ever fished the Battle River around highway 14 or 41. New to the area and wondering if anybody has any luck there. Any tips or help at all would be great.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Default Fish Battle River

Was reading there are Burbot , Goldeye, as well as pike and Walleye, but never fished thes species before. (from Nova scotia lol) Any tips?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:58 PM

drove cross it few times on 13 and 54 seems too small to fish.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenford View Post
drove cross it few times on 13 and 54 seems too small to fish.
U'd think that....not so. I caught some quite nice sized walleye from there as well as some smaller pike. Good luck if you try it.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 PM

Default Battle River Update

Went last night, and hooked 5 small pike (30 cm or so) Lost a monster though!!! Still very happy as I had never caught pike before.......going again tonite looking for the monsters.....
Old 06-26-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosby87 View Post
Went last night, and hooked 5 small pike (30 cm or so) Lost a monster though!!! Still very happy as I had never caught pike before.......going again tonite looking for the monsters.....
It's weird how all the monsters always seem to get off....

Ha ha tight lines!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:57 PM

There are some big eyes in there may friends dad has a few 10+ pound walleyes on his wall. And there are some big pike in there also.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosby87 View Post
Just wondering if anyone here has ever fished the Battle River around highway 14 or 41. New to the area and wondering if anybody has any luck there. Any tips or help at all would be great.

Thanks
Fished it just a couple of months back and many years ago....try this,,,,when you hit the town of Fabyan sign head south down main street....yess all 1.5 blocks of it...you will hit gravel and go about 3/4 of a mile south and at the top of the hill turn to the west. Go west for about 4 miles or so and hit the T intersection....if you turn left you will hit DND land and gates so turn right and go about 1/8 to half a mile and you will see a good used road on your left hand side which will lead you into a point of interest area at the trestle bridge.

The signs are supposed to be up but looks like some asshat took em down...so now you are looking at the longest trestle bridge in Alberta...all just about 3000 feet of it....jump the fence and head down to the bottom...when you hit the river turn left and head south for about 100 yards to the first turn in the river,,,,try for walleye there....The bank on the right hand side has a deep hole in it so thats where I would start fishing...

If you have a canoe try this...when you hit the point of interest sign the gate to the right of u is unlocked....there used to be a NO Tresspassing sign but from the last time I talked to the previous land owners ( this spring) it just sounds more like a be thoughtfull approach to land use...So go to the bottom of the valley,dump your canoe and head south...its a nice tour as I have done it and it takes about 3 hours fishing all the way...When you hit the spill way and the concrete retainer wall,with a building on the left side...STOP right there..

U are now going to enter DND land and with out permission you are already on crown land and will be charged with tresspassing....The spill way is a nice deep hole to fish at also with out getting into any serious trouble....From there if you want to cross the spill way and head south you have to contact DND,Canadian forces Wainwright and ask for permission to be on DND land.

Tell them that you are fishing and just want access from the battle river to enjoy a weekend and they will grant it to you as long as there is no moves going on that weekend. If there are moves access will be denied to you and even if you canoe to the spill way expect to have a huey or 2 buzz you to check you out...

an how do I know this you may ask??? I live 30 minutes from there and have done all the above said...hope this helps ya....Ice...