Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 08:55 AM

Default Bag rests

I’’ve used home made sand bag ( pants legs filled with sand) for a rear rests. They leak sand and are a little heavy. Looking to upgrade.

I have the Caldwell Rock for a front rest.

Looking to get a leather rear bag. It’s for bench shooting, not prone. Any recommendations of brand and style?

Leaning towards ProtexTor like in the attachment. Who sells them in Canada?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jayquiver; 09-12-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Shooting Xs

Protektor bags are good for the money ,I order direct shipped unfilled.
I have the #1 small and #2 Med. front bags ,they work well for hunting /varmint style stocks. Also have the 3" sq. Owl ear W/ silver material for my Bench rest stocks. Either the 13A or 14A rear bag work well combined with either front bag.
I fill them with Frac sand ,using a small funnel and a wood chop stick or similar small diameter wood rod to compact the fill sand through the fill spout to where I like for firmness. I also glued some firm rubber matt to the bottom of the rear bag for extra grip on the bench top.
Once they break in from use they work well.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:14 AM

I have Edgewood and Protektor bags. The protektor are good but I really like the Edgewood. You can get Protektor bags at the Neerlandia Co-op. They have a pretty good selection
Old 09-12-2018, 10:24 AM

I bought some from swampdonkey exactly like the ones pictured I found the back bag a little low, I use a couple pieces of 5/4ths 6 x 6" decking to adjust height for different rifles.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:53 AM

If selecting my “first” quality rear bag, I would look at Protector. If deciding on the “last” (final) bag it would be Edgewood. Features I look at in a rear bag are:
* hard bottom - retains shape, sits solid.
* bunny ear separation - no “V” at the bottom to “grip”. Proper spacing for the stock to slide. Consider the shape of the stock.
* bunny ear height - not too high...especially if using stocks with a cheek piece which can “redirect” the slide path.
* bag shape - long is better at resisting lateral shifting. But, height should drop off enough behind the bunny ears to insure the stock contact remains inside/close to the ears ... and will not let the rear sling stud touch.
* bag/ear integrity - insure that the “cut” of the bag and ears resists deformation. When filled with a very compact sand, there should be an absolute minimum of change in shape between shots once the stock is “set”.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:05 AM

Old 09-12-2018, 11:33 AM

I have it turned sideways in the photo below, but a few years back...I bought a front/rear bag from "Dog-Gone-Good" in the US, filled them with polypropylene "re-grind" from a local recycler, and they've been performing superbly ever since. If I remember my conversation with the owner, he also makes bags for outfits like Brownell's. The ones I have feature black suede/leather on the inside for a nice, soft, but naturally grippy hold on the gun. They've become one of those affordable, but immensely effective/useful parts of my kit that just do what they're supposed to without issue, every time. I can't see every using anything else, and have recommended his products to a few people.

https://www.dog-gone-good.com/

Old 09-13-2018, 07:46 PM

Any opinions on the Caldwell Tack Driver bag?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2018, 01:20 PM

Default Protektor Bags

I just saw on Instagram Big Horn Sales is carrying Protektor Bags as well. Gary is really good to deal with.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter270win View Post
I just saw on Instagram Big Horn Sales is carrying Protektor Bags as well. Gary is really good to deal with.

Gave Gary a call, he was extremely helpful with me buying my first “real” bags.

Going to go with the Protector brand. He asked me to send him pics of my rifle stocks to help choose the best bag, for my needs.

Wasn’t aware of all the options. Not sure when they will arrive but looking forward to them. He said when he switched to this brand his groups size tightened up considerably.

Thanks for the info guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk