Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Now I remember why I don't fish much anymore.
Is this the Petew I think it is?

Send me a text of what you want to fish for and we will head out some time. I can take you to some areas where you don't see much pressure.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM

I've always been taught to leave two holes downstream from the last fisherman you see. That way when the fisherman gets to where you started fishing the fish should be settled down from when you fished there.

When in a boat it's good form to not fish where shore fisherman can reach either but maybe that's not taught to everyone.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:58 PM

Some people just really don't give a damn if their actions make them look like total morons.........same thing happened to me on Saturday except i didn't get pulled down the river by the fish and it was a small rainbow. I guess it was a "good enough" fish for them to throw into the same run from 40 ft away from me! I totally agree with you venting your frustrations but i really doubt it will change the very few anglers that just don't get it.......
Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 PM

There is a good reason I prefer to fish on week days, I hate being in anyones way and would hate to be in anybody else's way. Most of my fishing I did in the last year was at our local reservoir. It isn't a terribly busy place, but there are only 2 docks, and about 500' of fishable shore line on either side. Hot spots vary from day to day. When I go out I like to take my dog along and let her hang out and wander within my view. I'll never go anywhere close to anyone that is already there, and if anyone comes where I'm fishing I move or go home (my dog is always looking for a new friend and I don't want her to be a pest). It kind of ticks me off when I'll be the only person ot there and the next person to show up has to plunk themselves down right next to me.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
This is going to be a long winded rant so bare with me. So I hit the Bow on Friday and head to a place I call the winter hole, you know what they are everybody has one. From where I park on the south side of the river it takes about an hour walk down stream during which I have to carefully cross the river over a gravel bar until eventually walking on the north side. In all about 3 km me thinks. So I start fishin, catch 3 nice rainbows in 10 mins look upstream to see a drift boat coming down the bank then eventually pull over about 60-70 yards upstream from me. I have fished the river for 20 years and own a drift boat, I recognize the boat that was upstream from me and the dude rowing, his buddy in the front seat I've never seen before! I tie into a big brown, 23", he bulldogs in the hole for a bit, then turn and burns straight down stream with me running down the bank trying to keep up. I end up landing him about a 100-130 yards down maybe 5 mins later, real nice fish! So I make my way back and you all know where this is going...the boat is now 20 yards upstream from where I was with the guy I know still in his seat and the other dude fishing in the spot I just left. I take a seat on a log about 40 yards from them, they can clearly see me and watch buddy hook 5 fish in 20 mins, loosing 2 of them cuz they too headed downstream, he didn't follow and busted them off. Eventually the guy rowing says "we gotta go" picks him up then rows right through the middle of the run and B lines it for the other side. I go back there fish for a bit, nuthin, then make my way back upstream, across the river, which is way tougher than the way down and get back to the truck an hour later still shaking my head. As far as fish go I had a good day, it was so nice out on Friday I shouldn't be complaining but even as I write this I'm kinda ****ed...in a million years I would never do that and always go out of my way to give bank anglers room! Like I said I know the boat and it's owner and will have words with him this summer when I eventually bump into him. So there you have it...am I overreacting? Again sorry for the rant!!

i agree, not the coolest move. one question though. why especially knowing this cat from 40 yards away and him clearing seeing you, did you not have a conversation regarding what took place? if i were in your waders, i wouldn't have elected to wait till bumping into him this summer. again especially if i knew the dude.

Dace
Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 PM

Nope you did not over react. There is proper etiquette when it comes to drift boats vs walk and wade. He did not follow it. I would have spoken up.

Although, hopefully you didnt spend too much time downstream taking pictures and what not. Cause if so, then you did over react. If you landed the fish, released, and immediately headed back upstream and they did this. Then they pulled a dink of a move. If you spent your sweet time downstream, then you shouldnt be getting mad about it.

Regardless, i played sweeper this past weekend on the bow. Fishing pools that people had pounded ahead of me by possibly 5 minutes, and i caught plenty of fish. As i'd catch fish, those people would start coming back to those holes, and fish near me, didnt bother me much though. But again shortly after leaving, i repeated the process. Persistence is key.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:24 AM
Banned

i don't think your overreacting. it's very diffucult for a shore angler to set up at a spot that they can fish from , but at the same time if your in a boat you have complete access to the water and if you get the urge to fish a certain area then of course your going to. personnally,i always give way to someone who is there ahead of me but i'm old school.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
So if you and I are fishing 100 yards apart and I catch a fish that I have to fight causing me to move from my spot,,,, you decide the spot is open now? How do I return to my spot, my coat, my gear? Will you move off or tell me to take a hike?

Drifters can be driftbags often and some dont even execute safe water safe travel laws,, I have had to wade out of way many times even when they could see me a km away.
How would you return to your spot? If you can't figure that out you shouldnt be out of doors, are you the type of guy that scatters your fishing gear along the bank as to say that you were fishing there? If you ever get a chance try fishing the Russian river or Cheechatko river in Alaska when the run is on. Its shoulder to shoulder fishermen or woman. If you catch a fish and can't land it where you are at, you create alot of havoc with other fishermen, tangled lines and such. You move out someone moves in. Its like a parking lot. That is why I usually fish the part of diffrent river systems where there isnt much for people. That way if anyone tries to fish in "MY SPOT" there isnt any witnesses. LOL. Yes im being sarcastic, and before anyone flies off the handle just sit back and have a pint, quart or another snow boarder's cigarett. Tight lines!!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
How would you return to your spot? If you can't figure that out you shouldnt be out of doors, are you the type of guy that scatters your fishing gear along the bank as to say that you were fishing there? If you ever get a chance try fishing the Russian river or Cheechatko river in Alaska when the run is on. Its shoulder to shoulder fishermen or woman. If you catch a fish and can't land it where you are at, you create alot of havoc with other fishermen, tangled lines and such. You move out someone moves in. Its like a parking lot. That is why I usually fish the part of diffrent river systems where there isnt much for people. That way if anyone tries to fish in "MY SPOT" there isnt any witnesses. LOL. Yes im being sarcastic, and before anyone flies off the handle just sit back and have a pint, quart or another snow boarder's cigarett. Tight lines!!
iv'e seen pics and postcards of the rivers in alaska where people are elbow to elbow and 3 deep. they call it COMBAT fishing.
there is a river where the anglers are on one side of the river and the bears on the other.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 PM

This story does not make sense. You knew the guy but didn't call him on his idiotic move? You should of talked to him about it on the river instead of complaining on the internet.