Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 PM

Default Am I overreacting?

This is going to be a long winded rant so bare with me. So I hit the Bow on Friday and head to a place I call the winter hole, you know what they are everybody has one. From where I park on the south side of the river it takes about an hour walk down stream during which I have to carefully cross the river over a gravel bar until eventually walking on the north side. In all about 3 km me thinks. So I start fishin, catch 3 nice rainbows in 10 mins look upstream to see a drift boat coming down the bank then eventually pull over about 60-70 yards upstream from me. I have fished the river for 20 years and own a drift boat, I recognize the boat that was upstream from me and the dude rowing, his buddy in the front seat I've never seen before! I tie into a big brown, 23", he bulldogs in the hole for a bit, then turn and burns straight down stream with me running down the bank trying to keep up. I end up landing him about a 100-130 yards down maybe 5 mins later, real nice fish! So I make my way back and you all know where this is going...the boat is now 20 yards upstream from where I was with the guy I know still in his seat and the other dude fishing in the spot I just left. I take a seat on a log about 40 yards from them, they can clearly see me and watch buddy hook 5 fish in 20 mins, loosing 2 of them cuz they too headed downstream, he didn't follow and busted them off. Eventually the guy rowing says "we gotta go" picks him up then rows right through the middle of the run and B lines it for the other side. I go back there fish for a bit, nuthin, then make my way back upstream, across the river, which is way tougher than the way down and get back to the truck an hour later still shaking my head. As far as fish go I had a good day, it was so nice out on Friday I shouldn't be complaining but even as I write this I'm kinda ****ed...in a million years I would never do that and always go out of my way to give bank anglers room! Like I said I know the boat and it's owner and will have words with him this summer when I eventually bump into him. So there you have it...am I overreacting? Again sorry for the rant!!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:29 PM

Are you over reacting? I believe so. You dont own the river, neither does he. You left the fishing hole, he moved in and caught fish from his boat. It happens.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM

I don't think you are over reacting. I always try to give 100 yards either side of a fisherman. Common courtesy. What the drifter did was an a-hole move.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todrod View Post
I don't think you are over reacting. I always try to give 100 yards either side of a fisherman. Common courtesy. What the drifter did was an a-hole move.
I agree, we do not own the rivers or the banks but lets be ehtical when we are out there. This sounds like something a kid would do. Unless you are friends with the guy I would let it ride, no sense causing more trouble.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Banned

Cool

Etiquette is hard to find on our over pressured waters. It is correct to move thru a run, not consider it "your" run . They do show poor form drifting over the holding water .
Old 03-03-2013, 04:53 PM

While on vacation in Oregon a few years ago we were on our way back to Tiller from Crater lake and stopped in at a fishing spot along the river to check it out. A boat moved into a hole across the river from where everyone was casting (probably 30 people). Pretty irate bunch, they made a game of casting as close to the boat as possible, with all the other anglers cheering for a "nice cast". I'd say you remained civil in comparison.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 PM

I have heard this situation a thousand times.

Drift boats need show some common courtesy. You aren't over-reacting.. It would **** me off too.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Personal space in public areas is classified as "within arms reach" (period) With that said, when it comes to fishing I guess it comes down to fight or flight.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
Are you over reacting? I believe so. You dont own the river, neither does he. You left the fishing hole, he moved in and caught fish from his boat. It happens.
So if you and I are fishing 100 yards apart and I catch a fish that I have to fight causing me to move from my spot,,,, you decide the spot is open now? How do I return to my spot, my coat, my gear? Will you move off or tell me to take a hike?

Drifters can be driftbags often and some dont even execute safe water safe travel laws,, I have had to wade out of way many times even when they could see me a km away.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM

Whoa, big debate here. I agree it was a little heavy handed for the drift boat to slide on top of your spot but did you politely ask them to drift on? Water etiquette is learned no-one is born with it. Also great job on fishing through a cold day and finding the trout. I hope this small miscommunication didn't spoil what sounded like an awesome day.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:45 PM

I struggle with personal space as well. I only fish lakes, but even then after being out of fishing for a good 10 yrs.I am amazed at the preasure now. I've had guys in pontoons go out of their way to cut me off as I move along a shore line and I've had guys pass within 3 ft of my anchored pos. as they troll by. The 3 ft. guy was wearing and oxygen mask so he got a lot more grace than anyone else would have. So what is most peoples personal space? In a river I would assume setting up directly above someone would be bad form, what about downstream? What about a lake? I figure if you can't reach me with a really long cast, I'm good?

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Banned

Over-reacting?

I think so.

There isn't much that gets my blood pressure up while I'm fishing.

They were in a boat.

You headed downstream and out of 'your' spot.

How long should they wait for you to play, land, photograph etc and hike back up to 'your' spot (or maybe keep fishing downstream) before they have a go at the hole?

They are in a boat and will eventually have to drift past you....

$0.05
Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I struggle with personal space as well. I only fish lakes, but even then after being out of fishing for a good 10 yrs.I am amazed at the preasure now. I've had guys in pontoons go out of their way to cut me off as I move along a shore line and I've had guys pass within 3 ft of my anchored pos. as they troll by. The 3 ft. guy was wearing and oxygen mask so he got a lot more grace than anyone else would have. So what is most peoples personal space? In a river I would assume setting up directly above someone would be bad form, what about downstream? What about a lake? I figure if you can't reach me with a really long cast, I'm good?
It is proper on a river to move thru a run if others share the run .if one wishes one can move to the top of the run after a complete pass to refish the section making sure to pass out of sight behind the other parties on the run. Giving an other angler generous room to cast, mend and deal with a catch on their longest presentation.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Banned

If I'm in a boat, and have the option of fishing all kinds of water out of reach of those fishing from shore, I make a point of letting the shorebound anglers enjoy their spots. I can easily access all kinds of fishing spots, why be a dink and crowd into theirs? Ditto on my dealings with smaller, less mobile, craft. IMO if it had been another shorebound angler I would be more inclined to be understanding, because he was in a boat I'd say it was a dick move.

Just my .05
Old 03-03-2013, 06:09 PM

I would have started fishing the hole again upstream and let them fish it down stream.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:35 PM

I to have pretty much spent the last 20 years fishing the bow with more rude people showing up with absolutley no respect.i could wright a small novel on the encounters ive had myself alone,last year anchored in a hole on an inside corner guys down stream at least 100 yrds away thought it would be cool to drag their boat up right beside us (nose to nose,no joke ) push out 10 feet and drop anchor.Heres the real deal weather people like it or not the sad truth is i find 98% of the guys are fly fishermen (i am an avid fly guy just for the record) for some reason they got these,im better than you attitudes,i don't know ,i don't get it i thought we are all out trying to enjoy a the same things.Just my experience,who knows maybe its just bad luck.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Banned

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what happened. What I'm getting is that you left a spot and someone moved into it after you had moved. Could they have known that you were coming back to that spot (ie you left gear there when you headed 100 yards down stream battling your fish)?

It sounds to me like the fellas in the boat wanted to fish the same hole that you were fishing but couldn't because you were already there. Once you (apparently) vacated the spot they moved in.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned

He vacated the spot to fight his fish as some of the bow river fish can take you for a walk and wade.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
He vacated the spot to fight his fish as some of the bow river fish can take you for a walk and wade.
Should the guys in the boat had known that he was coming back or is it reasonable for them to think that he had left that spot to fish somewhere else downstream?

I don't fish the Bow so I'm trying to imagine what happened.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Ive been fly fishing for over 20 years now and I can remember my grandfather taking me out as a boy. The river we fished was self policed by the "regulars" who all knew each other. Sadly, most of those old timers have passed and when I fish that river now it makes me sad to see how it has changed. It's nothing but over sized jet motors and people who couldn't care less whether or not they ruin your pool for half an hour after they've sped by. Weekends are especially bad. I realize I do not own the water but it still makes my blood boil. So.........I get up at 4am, get my morning fish in, and am off the water by 7 when the crowd arrives. Our camp is right on the river so I drink beer all day and watch them ruin the fishing for each other while tearing up and down the water and overcrowding the pools.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM

When you leave the spot due to a hard fighting fish it should be more than apparent that you would like to return to that spot once the first fish is released. You are not leaving because you are done fishing there, rather you are just fighting a fish. It is one thing to fish along through a run and give the water a thorough search. It is quite another thing to leave a run while landing a fish. For the boat guys to slide into the first guy's spot is just low. With a boat you have access to a number of spots. Try the next one if a shore angler is in the one you were planning to fish. The wader made a serious effort to travel by foot to the quality water. If the boat guys are hung up on fishing that spot, they should approach the person who was already there and ask him if he would mind if they could follow behind him down the run. Then the group could cycle through the run. It's simply a matter of respect! I feel your pain Moefoe.

Last edited by goldscud; 03-03-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Banned

It's hard to ruffle my feathers when i'm out flyfishing.

Ask yourself, are you fishing for the sake of fishing or are you fishing for the sake of catching?

I managed to get 3 glorious hours flogging water on the bow last weekend, first time in 9 months since moving to Edmonton - hooked one, LDR'd but that few seconds completed my day. I miss that river something awful, just be thankful you have her on your doorstep.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Gone Hunting

I was shovelling drifting snow in whiteout conditions while you were fishing.

I think you are over reacting.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm not sure that I understand exactly what happened. What I'm getting is that you left a spot and someone moved into it after you had moved. Could they have known that you were coming back to that spot (ie you left gear there when you headed 100 yards down stream battling your fish)?

It sounds to me like the fellas in the boat wanted to fish the same hole that you were fishing but couldn't because you were already there. Once you (apparently) vacated the spot they moved in.
Yeah that sounds about right. I left because I was scrapping a fish, they knew that and also knew the water below that run though nice for dry fly in the summer and fall is pretty lame in the winter! Now that I think about it maybe it's the effort I put forth to get down there, it's not easy and i'm no spring chicken anymore for what amounted to 20-30 mins of fishing...they, the guys in the boat don't know that, maybe they thought I got permission from the land owner (no chance, never, Iv'e tried)!! They'r in a boat and have the whole river, I don't know where they were pulling out but I guarantee they'll pass over plenty of fish holding water, just unfortunate and it sux!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 PM

I can go casting at the park...I like to go to the river to hook some fish. If someone is in the spot you desire, either go somewhere else, or ask them if you could try it AFTER they are done.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 PM

Drifting through your run or setting up upstream is bad etiquette.

Some guys just don't understand that - I'd bet that many of the guys on here, who don't fish rivers, would not quite understand the "rules". I grew up in Calgary and some old timers taught us these things.

Moving into the top of your run when you went downstream is poor judgement.

Having said that - I would just let it slide ...... don't upset yourself too much about and certainly don't make it worse by approaching the other guy.

If you come over to the NSR many people here wouldn't even begin to even understand these concepts. Guys come right up to you and throw their lines in right beside yours here and leave you lot's of trash to clean up.

That's when it's time to say something - your incident is just poor manners.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I agree, we do not own the rivers or the banks but lets be ehtical when we are out there. This sounds like something a kid would do. Unless you are friends with the guy I would let it ride, no sense causing more trouble.
2X
Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Drifting through your run or setting up upstream is bad etiquette.

Some guys just don't understand that - I'd bet that many of the guys on here, who don't fish rivers, would not quite understand the "rules". I grew up in Calgary and some old timers taught us these things.

Moving into the top of your run when you went downstream is poor judgement.

Having said that - I would just let it slide ...... don't upset yourself too much about and certainly don't make it worse by approaching the other guy.

If you come over to the NSR many people here wouldn't even begin to even understand these concepts. Guys come right up to you and throw their lines in right beside yours here and leave you lot's of trash to clean up.

That's when it's time to say something - your incident is just poor manners.
I agree poor manners and bad etiquette. You can always tell the anglers that know what there doing is wrong because the first words out of their mouth is "you dont own the lake, or you don't own the fish". These anglers are not worth waisting your time with, they know what they are doing is wrong, they just don't care (although a verbal tune up is in order sometime).
Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM

Now I remember why I don't fish much anymore.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
If I'm in a boat, and have the option of fishing all kinds of water out of reach of those fishing from shore, I make a point of letting the shorebound anglers enjoy their spots. I can easily access all kinds of fishing spots, why be a dink and crowd into theirs? Ditto on my dealings with smaller, less mobile, craft. IMO if it had been another shorebound angler I would be more inclined to be understanding, because he was in a boat I'd say it was a dick move.

Just my .05
X2.
I would rather move along through and let a shore angler enjoy the spot he is fishing than decide and fish the same water he is.
lots of pools to fish ....
Cat