Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 AM

Default Cold Lake Reg. Change 2013

Just scrolling through the online 2013 fishing regs. 75cm for Lake Trout... Was hoping they didnt go through with that. Really think a slot size would be beneficial for increasing the numbers of larger lakers.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 AM

how many pounds would a 75 cm laker weight
Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 AM

dont know buy going to find out this yr 1st time fishing in cold lake
75cm wow
Old 03-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
how many pounds would a 75 cm laker weight
Anywhere from 8-10+ lbs depending on girth. Which is usually about the size i keep, release anything bigger. but i think it was a good thing that alot of people would target the 65cm'ers. The 75cm limit is only going to promote people keeping more of the larger fish... Im sure it might increase the overall population, which isn't really a issue on Cold, but it is definately going to decrease the number of trophy size fish. Just hope it works out for the greater good
Old 03-03-2013, 08:42 AM

thanks tight line planning on going in august.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 AM

From what I saw , it wouldn't matter 65 - 75 - 105. Some people just don't follow the rules ! Enforcement and some fines are whats needed. Keeping one under 65 works very well in Manitoba , but those lakes don't have the constant pressure. Those big trout are not great to eat , mine will go back.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 AM

With the changes ,we will be C&R alot more fish in the years too come and thats what its all about having.... fun!
I like this change .

On the other hand ,the pike and walleye will be targeted alot more for the table .
Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
Anywhere from 8-10+ lbs depending on girth. Which is usually about the size i keep, release anything bigger. but i think it was a good thing that alot of people would target the 65cm'ers. The 75cm limit is only going to promote people keeping more of the larger fish... Im sure it might increase the overall population, which isn't really a issue on Cold, but it is definately going to decrease the number of trophy size fish. Just hope it works out for the greater good
That estimate might be on the lighter side. The lightest I ever kept over 65 cm was 7 lbs. It seemed abnormally long too. Another 10 cm is a lot more laker...I would add on a couple of lbs to that estimate. I'm with one of the other posters that it is getting into the too large category. I might consider keeping the odd one for the smoker but more than likely it will be c&r.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 PM

The 75cm change is the only immediate change that the local fisheries office would accept. At both meetings in the past year- slot limits and tagging was actually a more popular idea from the general public but was dismissed because they felt that the city of Cold Lake and the Sask government would disagree and felt it would have economic impacts to Cold Lake(which is not true). So instead of protecting Lake Trout and Cold Lake we will just continue to ignore the problems and fishing pressure, watching the lake fall into a complete collapse like the surrounding lakes all around Cold Lake. Sure its fun to catch fish but when to many people ignores rules, dont respect fish or the lake, and continuously abuse the great resouces we are provided with... what do we expect?

ps it takes a lake trout 5 years to grow from 65cm to 75cm. now think about how long it takes to get to 20+ pounds and how many people are killing them daily. Cold Lake did collapse in the past decades and it took 20+ years to bring it back.. now with population growth and ignorance, it shouldn't take long.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Ya i wouldnt care if it was C&R wouldn't change how many time i head to Cold. I love fishing for lakers, i do like eating them,I do keep 1 fish per trip, but the fun is definately in the catching. Gotta love getting a big tail slap lake water shower after releasing a big boy! Would like to hear how this change is suposed to benefit the fishery...
Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 PM

The idea behind the change is to give the Lake Trout 5+ more years of spawning time in order to preserve the lake. So the lake will end up being a lot of small trout compared to trophy sized fish like Siebert lake for pike. It makes sense to a point however once you factor in poaching and mortality from a huge amount of pressure... no one knows what it will actaully do. I predict in the future if the public actually starts to get active and pressure the alberta/sask governments that we might have a chance to save Cold Lake before its to late.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
The 75cm change is the only immediate change that the local fisheries office would accept. At both meetings in the past year- slot limits and tagging was actually a more popular idea from the general public but was dismissed because they felt that the city of Cold Lake and the Sask government would disagree and felt it would have economic impacts to Cold Lake(which is not true). So instead of protecting Lake Trout and Cold Lake we will just continue to ignore the problems and fishing pressure, watching the lake fall into a complete collapse like the surrounding lakes all around Cold Lake. Sure its fun to catch fish but when to many people ignores rules, dont respect fish or the lake, and continuously abuse the great resouces we are provided with... what do we expect?

ps it takes a lake trout 5 years to grow from 65cm to 75cm. now think about how long it takes to get to 20+ pounds and how many people are killing them daily. Cold Lake did collapse in the past decades and it took 20+ years to bring it back.. now with population growth and ignorance, it shouldn't take long.
I completely agree with what your saying but it took over SIXTY YEARS for the population to rebound to where its at, and that was only achieved by stocking. Commercial fishing had completely decimated the lake as well and Touchwood lake. 2 million fish were stocked and in 1985 estimates put the lake trout population at 25 000 fish. The current estimate is around 480 000 fish with angling harvests alone having been near or above an unsustainable number for the last five years. I recently saw a family fishing with nearly 80 pounds of lake trout on the ice. Not a single fish under 12 lbs is my guess, two guys in a tent with four kids between 6 and 12. I wonder how many fish those kids actually caught... and how money of those fish will freezer burn. I honestly believe there should a mandatory angling ethics or fresh water species educational class to educate, inform and help the average angler understand why most lakes SUCK compared to what they used to be. There is a HUGE disconnect between the people taking fish out of lakes and the people trying manage them, and the people influencing regulation.

Cold lake has been called the dead sea in the past lets hope it doesn't happen again.

This thread has more info on cold lakes lake trout fishery for those who are interested.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=164490
Old 03-03-2013, 11:55 PM

Im not a fan of lake trout as such they all go back but they are fun to catch. I think the biggest issue is with fish handling and the types of hooks used. I prefer running two single barbless (from the factory) hooks on a cut plug rig. Easy release and low fatality rate.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 AM

Levy, and Egymcara hit it on the head. This change does not surprise me though, actually sounds about right for our province. Our fish and game management is non existent. Wait till every fish you catch is now 74 and under just like slave lake walleyes. Good bye trophy potential hello stunted growth fishery