Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
again thanks for the info..

Am I amble to use a through the hull transducer with these fancy units?

Do through the hull transducers affect performance?
Through hull transducers are available for virtually any mid to higher end unit out there. HOWEVER they will provide 2D images only (sonar) and are not available in scanning transducers (or higher frequency variable multiple cone settings) found on down imaging and side imaging units. At least not that I'm aware of yet.

Through hull transducers are used almost exclusively for high speed operation where basic 2D sonar works. Remember higher frequency, and DI/SI do not work well after your boat is on plane due to turbulence.

Through hulls require the transducers to be bedded in epoxy and care must be taken to eliminate "bubbles" so you get a clean signal.

They work substantially better on fiberglass hulls compared to aluminum hulls that reduce the effectiveness of the return signal and limit their range.

If you are running, or planning on running DI/SI (down or side imaging) - then you will need a conventionally mounted transducer.

Some guys will mount a through hull transducer for 2D and high speed operation AND run a SI/DI transducer (sometimes mounted higher up on the transom for protection) for low speed use.

This is an option with either a Ethernet port in a multi-head unit set-up or with a switch (where only one transducer is used at a time).
Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Sorry, External GPS Puck - should have been more clear. The unit is 3.25" and about an inch or so thick (like a puck).

I want to see where guys are mounting it that have precision GPS/Sonar equipment.

Putting it at the dash causes accuracy errors equal to twice the distance from the transducer location.

I am looking for ideas on how to mount it near (or over) the rear SI transducer with some sort of hardware or clever bracket.

I'm running riggers, opening hatches, using the boarding ladder, rolling around back there, lol, etc... and just looking for clever ideas.
You can mount it with an antenna base mount in the back corner of the boat. Google attwood marine antenna base mount to see what they look like. It will fold down out of the way when trailering and is detachable (at least the ram version is). The reg marine version is not easily detachable. I will try and get some pictures on how I have it rigged. Some guys I know just mount it to the gunnel at the stern. Accuracy is not as good as you might think even there. Do to it being military satelites anyway. Accuracy varies and can be quite severe when unrest is occuring. That said, closest to transducer is not going to hurt.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Through hull transducers are available for virtually any mid to higher end unit out there. HOWEVER they will provide 2D images only (sonar) and are not available in scanning transducers (or higher frequency variable multiple cone settings) found on down imaging and side imaging units. At least not that I'm aware of yet.

Through hull transducers are used almost exclusively for high speed operation where basic 2D sonar works. Remember higher frequency, and DI/SI do not work well after your boat is on plane due to turbulence.

Through hulls require the transducers to be bedded in epoxy and care must be taken to eliminate "bubbles" so you get a clean signal.

They work substantially better on fiberglass hulls compared to aluminum hulls that reduce the effectiveness of the return signal and limit their range.

If you are running, or planning on running DI/SI (down or side imaging) - then you will need a conventionally mounted transducer.

Some guys will mount a through hull transducer for 2D and high speed operation AND run a SI/DI transducer (sometimes mounted higher up on the transom for protection) for low speed use.

This is an option with either a Ethernet port in a multi-head unit set-up or with a switch (where only one transducer is used at a time).
Actually Lowrance has thru hull side imaging transducers
Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
You can mount it with an antenna base mount in the back corner of the boat. Google attwood marine antenna base mount to see what they look like. It will fold down out of the way when trailering and is detachable (at least the ram version is). The reg marine version is not easily detachable. I will try and get some pictures on how I have it rigged. Some guys I know just mount it to the gunnel at the stern. Accuracy is not as good as you might think even there. Do to it being military satelites anyway. Accuracy varies and can be quite severe when unrest is occuring. That said, closest to transducer is not going to hurt.
That is absolutely perfect actually .............. looks like a great product with dual axis adjustments - which make the mounting options endless.

I can put it on the sloped part of my splash pan, mount it 90 degrees on my pro-track or put it on the flat carpeted part on the transom next to the seat base.

I looked at the ram mount option but these come loose back there with the motor vibration and are quite big for a little puck I think. They would work too, but not ideal. I see this has the slotted teeth that holds it firm once locked down (if I'm understanding the design correctly).

Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 AM

I use both, the ram mounts have never come loose on me but I can remove it easily. The Lowrance pucks have a short wire about a foot or so with connection. If that wire is inside out of the way not worth trying to steal but if connection is "available" to outside elements, I use the RAM and remove the puck.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:

I have a 2D transducer mounted in the hull of one of my kayaks that works great. You do not need to be going fast for them to work. Slower works great. And Lowrance Down Scan transducers can be run thru hull(so I have been told by Lowrance reps and pro-staff)

The biggest thing is to ensure is that there is no airspace between the ducer and the hull.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
I have a 2D transducer mounted in the hull of one of my kayaks that works great. You do not need to be going fast for them to work. Slower works great. And Lowrance Down Scan transducers can be run thru hull(so I have been told by Lowrance reps and pro-staff)

The biggest thing is to ensure is that there is no airspace between the ducer and the hull.
I re-read my post - lol - that's not what i meant actually but it certainly reads that way. What I was saying is, or should have said, is many guys who use high speed low angle hulls (like bass boats), use the thru hull exclusively for high speed sonar.

When the power down to troll, they switch over to the transom mounted transducer (or transducers) of thier choice to get better readings. They only use the thru hull for high speed travel, is what I meant.

These boats are barely touching the water and turbulance and air bubbles absolutely destroy the use of any SI/DI transducer rendering it useless and make other standard transducers work erratically.

The transom mount transducers, with no hull signal degradation, work better.

Sorry about that - lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 AM

So I've pretty much decided on the Humminbird - 598ci HD SI
$800+ at Bass Pro.
Heading there next month but if anybody sees it for less let me know.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 AM

Yes, Huntfurfish said the same thing about DI/SI transducers mounted thru hull. Like I said I was not aware of that ....... yet.

The trick is to see how it actually performs.

The SI/DI transducers are very sensitive and quite finicky ........ I'd be very curious to see what bugs exsist with them.

I'd hate a remove all the floors from my boat, expoxy down a $300 SI/DI transducer only to have it work like crap when I could have mounted the one that came with the unit for free at the back of the boat.

I think the way to go is run two transducers in this application - one standard, mounted conventionally at low frequency for high speed readings and the a SI/DI slightly higher on the transom.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM

Default Bang for your buck

If you do not need side finder the Lowrance Elite 7
is a 7" screen with GPS and broadband sonar for
about 600 to 700 bucks Broadband alone was 650
a few years ago.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 AM

I have an Elite 5 DSI waiting for my new kayak to come. I am going to try in hull and see how it works.. Will let you guys know if I ever get time to go out and try it.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 PM

I was going to wait until my dual sport bike sells to fund a fish finder, but after getting my t4 yesterday it looks like the government owes me enough to pay for a fish finder, i-pilot, and a bunch of other stuff on the to-buy list. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the HDS-7 and structure scan. It's too bad they don't have the $300 rebate on the touch.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I was going to wait until my dual sport bike sells to fund a fish finder, but after getting my t4 yesterday it looks like the government owes me enough to pay for a fish finder, i-pilot, and a bunch of other stuff on the to-buy list. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the HDS-7 and structure scan. It's too bad they don't have the $300 rebate on the touch.
Sounds like a good choice. Down the road you can add another one or 2 and have them all connect on ethernet. They can all share the down imaging and the one transducer. You will enjoy them(and the rebate).
Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Default Humminbird 587ci HD DI

Getting my dear wife to pick me up one of these at BPS while down in Calgary. Though it is a discontinued model that should mean that all of the bugs have been worked out of it. I like that it has both traditional Sonar AND down imaging. Quoted price to me was $475 but they dont have many left. I tested out the 597 at Cabelas last week and found it to be very easy to use
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 AM

hi
getting a FF too for new boat what do ppl thing about garmin GPSmap 431S
price range below $600 and anyone try the iphone FF?
http://buydeeper.com/index.php?route=common/home

this is a 1st time getting FF i dont know if im going to use it that much just want it for cold lake
and what is the DL map thing do i have to get it or can i get it off a friends that has the map? sorry im very new to the fish finder thing
Old 03-03-2013, 08:36 AM

There have been a number of fish finder threads in various price ranges you can find them with the search function. Im sure the garmin would be fine though.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 AM

Dont know of anyone that has the phone one yet but have heard about them. Stick with the major brands. Lowrance, Humminbird, Garmin etc.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM

Default FF

The only place I have ever seen a Garmin, is a bass boat.$449 us is steep for 4 inch of screen. Once u usde a good sonar, u will b hooked. Lowrance and Hummingbird are the best hands down, just decide on what ur needs r; color screen, side imaging, down imaging, size, networking, ipilot connection,GPS internal or extrenal. Dont worry about price till u decide on options.
HB 798cisi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre2k View Post
hi
getting a FF too for new boat what do ppl thing about garmin GPSmap 431S
price range below $600 and anyone try the iphone FF?
http://buydeeper.com/index.php?route=common/home

this is a 1st time getting FF i dont know if im going to use it that much just want it for cold lake
and what is the DL map thing do i have to get it or can i get it off a friends that has the map? sorry im very new to the fish finder thing