Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2024, 08:00 AM

Default Explorer 16.6 Inboard Jet Boat

Does anyone on here run this Boat and what can you tell me about it, good or bad.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby61 View Post
Does anyone on here run this Boat and what can you tell me about it, good or bad.
I had a 142 and a 166. Both outboards.

But after having the 166 outboard I can confidently say that boat is too small for a doghouse. It was tight fishing out of with 3 guys even with the outboard.

If you are just looking to cruise with 2 or 3 people max and dont need a bunch of floorspace they are fun little boats. Especially the inboards as the power to weight ratio is crazy compared to the outboards.

My experience with Explorer boats was mostly positive. Having a local shop to work with is great the they are good people there. The boats themselves in my opinion are priced to keep up with the market but value isn't the same as other offerings. The welds you can see are nice dime stacks, the welds and reinforcing where you cant see are actually kind of embarrassing. They are thin bottoms and sides, very few stringers, riveted on windshield and just feel kind of cheap. Which is ok, if the price reflects this. It doesn't.

They will run shallower than a custom weld hands down, but I wouldn't want to hit a rock in anything explorer builds. Especially a 166 inboard that can do 50+ MPH. Comes down to what you want it for.

I went to a 20 foot inboard from a midwestern builder and have been really happy. But lost the ability to get into places the 166 could take me. Those things will run in a puddle.