Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 AM
Banned

the 13 chev i tried with 5.3 6spd i loved on paper, here's what it was like to live with...

1. acceleration dynamic, heavy throttle pedal, poor transmission programming to throttle position, never really seeming to follow your brain desires for right foot/go/brain connection, still drop two gears in cruise up an incline when it never should...screaming etc. apparently in the name of mileage...

2. front seat comfort, could not get it right no matter what, need to follow tundra or ram to get the best there

3. way too low front end, car like, even with chin spoiler removed. at least on my ram you drop 5.5" by dropping the chin spoiler and you have same snow clearance from bottom of bumper as the cab etc....nice straight line.

i tried a couple gm's and was a gm guy for a long time, the current generations of gm's-isms are unlivable for me but i tried, i wanted to love that 5.3 6 spd but set up poorly and the rest of the truck i couldn't handle either...

tundra was a sports car but thirsty and no range, reliable and comfy though

never have been a ford guy and renting a new one for a weekend confirmed i'll still probably never be able to pull the trigger on one...

4 yrs and 100,000 k on the ram and no plans to change and i'm one who likes to change, when i start seeing large fuel tanks, smaller engines with 8 gears or more then maybe look again

nothing available right now that can compete with my ram except another

new ranger is coming out with a 2.3 turbo 4 with a 10 speed...just throw that in the f-150 with a 120+ liter tank and it'd be worth a drive

the honda ridgeline is appealing but not enough range and a bit too low in the front imo....so close honda, love them but with availability of my ram it would lose everytime

the pentastar v6 is a gem engine, very flexible modern powerful efficient and lightweight/compact, won wards 10 best engines 3 yrs in a row. if the other half ton manufacturers bring on turbo 4's or excellent v6's with 8-10 gears well sorted programming and larger fuel tanks then great! the ride and handling of the ram is so good too, quiet cab (hands free calls etc.) rear coil suspension....the drivetrain, ya the ram is still 4 years later the choice, i watch the market as i love auto, i chose wisely, obsessive researcher gear junky
Old 04-19-2018, 10:00 AM

the Fords look like top heavy hearses on the road. The chevy's are too expensive. At least the Dodges look cool!!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:51 AM

Nissan Titan, truck of the gods....endorsed by Thor and Odin
Old 04-19-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
And a price tag that would scare Medussa!!!!!!

The 60k plus for the new Nissan with baby cummins................... and not even a true 2500 series.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
the Fords look like top heavy hearses on the road. The chevy's are too expensive. At least the Dodges look cool!!
Only until all the cheap plastic rattles off and the rust starts showing.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 04-19-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
And all 4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Old 04-19-2018, 03:04 PM

Ford just laid claim to top efficiency honors in the full-size-pickup segment with the EPA officially rating the 3 liter diesel at 22 mpg city, 30 mpg highway, and 25 mpg combined. Some don't buy a pickup for its efficiency's, but its important to some.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Ford just laid claim to top efficiency honors in the full-size-pickup segment with the EPA officially rating the 3 liter diesel at 22 mpg city, 30 mpg highway, and 25 mpg combined. Some don't buy a pickup for its efficiency's, but its important to some.
The ram eco-diesel will be really close and at the time it was about 5k more dollars than my truck. It would take quite a number of years to pay for that engine in fuel savings. Plus it weighed as much as the hemi, or more from recollection. The pentastar is like a 300 lb motor, the hemi 500 lb and i believe the diesel was about 600. You got two turbos, dpf system, all this extra stuff and complexity and weight. It could be 350-550-650 but i'm close on these figures.

If you tow all the time then the diesel payed for itself quicker but if you're like most and empty primarily then the pentastar is tough to beat. Initial and long term costs.

The ford is it the inline 5 cylinder? I do like the simplicity of inlines. But with the dpf systems, weight of the motors usually, etc. i think a turbo 4 gas is the way of the future for the economy rides.

They just redid the jeep wrangler and have a 2.0l turbo 4 as one option now, does 270 hp and 295 ft/lbs torque(at half the rpm on that torque) that i would certainly consider if i could get that engine in my truck! I'm sure they'd pump those numbers just a touch if they did drop it in the ram, just as they do for the pentastar...(305 hp in the ram but only about 295 in the jeep) Note: All the reviews on the new turbo 4 in the jeep compared to the pentastar are basically saying the same thing, you'd never know! Wonder what that motor weighs compared to the pentastar but sure hope to see more of this direction in the half tons!

One turbo on an inline four gas motor is complexity i can live with and would want to live with to gain that torque lower in the rpm and also beat our elevation losses in power. It's about perfect really.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
And some Russians think to be driving a Lada is a wonderfull experience ,

Better than an ornery donkey, or a rusty bicycle
Old 04-19-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
The ram eco-diesel will be really close and at the time it was about 5k more dollars than my truck. It would take quite a number of years to pay for that engine in fuel savings.
I'm not trying to sway anyone, just stating the facts. However, if the diesel is purchased for fuel savings, you should get a large chunk of it back as the resale value of diesel engine vehicle is typically significantly higher than the equivalent gas variety.

Quote:
The ford is it the inline 5 cylinder?
The 3.0 L diesel is a V6.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:39 PM

I like Fords better than Dodges. They both have such distinctive sounds.

Dodges sound like pigs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYGdqipJnDY

And fords ...well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=635ZeaFv_q4

(hope this doesn't get me an AO infraction)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-20-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I like Fords better than Dodges. They both have such distinctive sounds.

Dodges sound like pigs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYGdqipJnDY

And fords ...well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=635ZeaFv_q4

(hope this doesn't get me an AO infraction)
I'm confused, it showed a Ford but sounded like a Chevy?
Old 04-21-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Get the Ford. It is definitely more comfortable than the Dodge tailgate.
Funny thing is... those look like Dodge tail lights
Old 04-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm not trying to sway anyone, just stating the facts. However, if the diesel is purchased for fuel savings, you should get a large chunk of it back as the resale value of diesel engine vehicle is typically significantly higher than the equivalent gas variety.

The 3.0 L diesel is a V6.
Bummer, thought it'd be the 3.2 inline 5 they already had here in the big vans.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
the 13 chev i tried with 5.3 6spd i loved on paper, here's what it was like to live with...

1. acceleration dynamic, heavy throttle pedal, poor transmission programming to throttle position, never really seeming to follow your brain desires for right foot/go/brain connection, still drop two gears in cruise up an incline when it never should...screaming etc. apparently in the name of mileage...

2. front seat comfort, could not get it right no matter what, need to follow tundra or ram to get the best there

3. way too low front end, car like, even with chin spoiler removed. at least on my ram you drop 5.5" by dropping the chin spoiler and you have same snow clearance from bottom of bumper as the cab etc....nice straight line.

i tried a couple gm's and was a gm guy for a long time, the current generations of gm's-isms are unlivable for me but i tried, i wanted to love that 5.3 6 spd but set up poorly and the rest of the truck i couldn't handle either...

tundra was a sports car but thirsty and no range, reliable and comfy though

never have been a ford guy and renting a new one for a weekend confirmed i'll still probably never be able to pull the trigger on one...

4 yrs and 100,000 k on the ram and no plans to change and i'm one who likes to change, when i start seeing large fuel tanks, smaller engines with 8 gears or more then maybe look again

nothing available right now that can compete with my ram except another

new ranger is coming out with a 2.3 turbo 4 with a 10 speed...just throw that in the f-150 with a 120+ liter tank and it'd be worth a drive

the honda ridgeline is appealing but not enough range and a bit too low in the front imo....so close honda, love them but with availability of my ram it would lose everytime

the pentastar v6 is a gem engine, very flexible modern powerful efficient and lightweight/compact, won wards 10 best engines 3 yrs in a row. if the other half ton manufacturers bring on turbo 4's or excellent v6's with 8-10 gears well sorted programming and larger fuel tanks then great! the ride and handling of the ram is so good too, quiet cab (hands free calls etc.) rear coil suspension....the drivetrain, ya the ram is still 4 years later the choice, i watch the market as i love auto, i chose wisely, obsessive researcher gear junky

I test drove a pentastar ram yesterday with the 3.55 and it would hunt around between 6th and 8th gear on the highway against the wind. Drove me absolutely nuts. I winder if I could leave it in 6th in manual mode to avoid all this constant shifting? With the wind it was great and held 8th the whole way.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:54 AM
Banned

New tight truck not broke in yet?

Mine doesn't bother me that way and holds gears better than any gm i've driven in last 10 years. Toyota tundra, older tacoma's and this ram pentastar i have are the best set up i've seen so far.

To answer your question yes there are two buttons on my steering wheel for manual gear selection, a negative symbol and a positive symbol, for downshift or upshift. Just tap the negative symbol and it will drop into 7 and tap it again will drop into 6...it will hold there, it is now in manual mode. You can gear right down till engine is screaming if you like...just tap it back up to 8 and the display will show you've left manual mode and back into full auto.

I use it in 4wd for downshifting when things really slippery in town for engine braking to slow the truck down on icy hills etc.

I think those buttons were set up for exactly what you want though...to hold a gear while towing or hills/wind etc. on highway. Dodge maybe missed an opportunity to do paddle shifters or make the buttons bigger for that holy shizzo gearing down you want in extreme icy conditions while in 4wd. I would recommend paddle shifters if any engineers are listening.

The only other thing i would recommend if they happen to be listening is a 'city mode' for parking. As a daily driver you quickly learn that backing in is the only way to park and having to manually hit the button to fold my mirrors in is convenient enough i guess but a lot of us daily drive our half tons in city duty and we have figured out backing in is the only way to fly. When truck hits park those mirrors should fold when you have it on city mode imo.

I'm nitpicking as someone who uses this truck as a daily family vehicle.

Hope that helps man.

I may have told you that my truck holds 130 km/h no problem without down shifting on moderate winds/hills at 2000 rpm in 8th gear.

If you were going slower you would maybe not see enough power as the rpm too low? So you can pick the gear you want no problem with just the tap of a button on the steering wheel. Now you see why maybe i recommend not going with the 3:21 axle? (too many gears for that combo, and ideal efficiency and power might actually be a 3:73 with this motor/combo for those who drive closer to the speed limits?...they don't offer anything higher than 3:55 tho)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
New tight truck not broke in yet?

Mine doesn't bother me that way and holds gears better than any gm i've driven in last 10 years. Toyota tundra, older tacoma's and this ram pentastar i have are the best set up i've seen so far.

To answer your question yes there are two buttons on my steering wheel for manual gear selection, a negative symbol and a positive symbol, for downshift or upshift. Just tap the negative symbol and it will drop into 7 and tap it again will drop into 6...it will hold there, it is now in manual mode. You can gear right down till engine is screaming if you like...just tap it back up to 8 and the display will show you've left manual mode and back into full auto.

I use it in 4wd for downshifting when things really slippery in town for engine braking to slow the truck down on icy hills etc.

I think those buttons were set up for exactly what you want though...to hold a gear while towing or hills/wind etc. on highway. Dodge maybe missed an opportunity to do paddle shifters or make the buttons bigger for that holy shizzo gearing down you want in extreme icy conditions while in 4wd. I would recommend paddle shifters if any engineers are listening.

The only other thing i would recommend if they happen to be listening is a 'city mode' for parking. As a daily driver you quickly learn that backing in is the only way to park and having to manually hit the button to fold my mirrors in is convenient enough i guess but a lot of us daily drive our half tons in city duty and we have figured out backing in is the only way to fly. When truck hits park those mirrors should fold when you have it on city mode imo.

I'm nitpicking as someone who uses this truck as a daily family vehicle.

Hope that helps man.

I may have told you that my truck holds 130 km/h no problem without down shifting on moderate winds/hills at 2000 rpm in 8th gear.

If you were going slower you would maybe not see enough power as the rpm too low? So you can pick the gear you want no problem with just the tap of a button on the steering wheel. Now you see why maybe i recommend not going with the 3:21 axle? (too many gears for that combo, and ideal efficiency and power might actually be a 3:73 with this motor/combo for those who drive closer to the speed limits?...they don't offer anything higher than 3:55 tho)

Actually you may be on to something with the speed. I was driving about 105 and the rpms in 8th were super low. Not enough power at 1500 to hold 8th against the wind. If I had gone faster and got the motor up into a meatier part of the rev range maybe it would have done better. This would of course mean speeding so it’s not something I’m willing to do.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
Actually you may be on to something with the speed. I was driving about 105 and the rpms in 8th were super low. Not enough power at 1500 to hold 8th against the wind. If I had gone faster and got the motor up into a meatier part of the rev range maybe it would have done better. This would of course mean speeding so it’s not something I’m willing to do.
Ya rpm are super low at 105 km/h, fighting the wind you would likely be happier dropping it into 7 first and then see if you need to go to 6th.

The 8 speed has long legs and lots of versatility.

I have no doubt if that was your highway cruise speed typical...you'd be wasting a couple gears lol.

Maybe check out a honda ridgeline since you said you weren't going to tow more than a couple thousand (it's rated to 5000). Right now it's the mileage king in the mid-size/half ton market besides the baby duramax in the colorado/canyon twins and other diesel options. On fuelly.com the 2013 and up ram pentastar 8 spd's are running around mid to high 12 liters per hundred (my typical summer city mileage) and the new ridgelines are running about 11.5 liters per hundred combined. A friend with one who drives a little easier like you routinely see's his highway trips around 8.9 etc. in his new style ridgeline, through the mountains etc. It's also ranked the most comfortable best riding truck period and least amount of driver fatigue. I do love the ridgeline, if it fits your needs it really is the machine to have imo. I would have a really hard time deciding between my truck and the ridgeline if shopping now, it was easy in 2014, the ridgeline needed the updates it has now!

The older ridgelines had crap fuel economy for a lighter v6 midsize, my pentastar 8 spd can beat the last generation ridgelines and also 4.0l tacoma's no problems in both city and highway mileage (i haven't checked the new tacoma's 3.5l mileage to see if i still whoop them but wouldn't be surprised if i did?)

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 04-23-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
And ya, 1800-2000 rpm it's much happier fighting minor hills and headwinds.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:05 PM

I’d get something smaller but I need a half ton to put a camper in the back.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 PM

Ford...although you pay a premium for them these days
Old 04-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
I’d get something smaller but I need a half ton to put a camper in the back.
I went to little alum. cargo trailer converted myself to adventure pod for me and the boys, didn't want to be restricted to future tow vehicles and went alum. 6x14 so could get away with a 3500 lb tow vehicle if needed as empty trailer was 1800 tandem with brakes. But yes you need half ton then and that's really not a bad market to be stuck in for vehicle requirements anyway!

Good luck on your choice, hope i helped, we seem to have pretty similar use and wants for vehicle.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:11 PM

Default truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Thinking of a new truck. If you had to choose, which one would get the nod? Ford or Dodge. Going to be used for hunting, fishing, etc... Thanks for your input.
If Half ton Toytota TUNDRA ! if 3/4 - 1 ton Chev - Gmc or Ford ! jmo

No FARGOS for ME ! RJ
Old 04-26-2018, 09:56 PM

I bought a brand new 17 F150 in October. I LOVE it 36000 k of fairly hard oilfield miles and it’s been great. I went with the 5.0, but they’re all good engines now.

Buddy at work bought a dodge around the same time and likes it. He has less miles but also has no issues. We both aren’t brand loyal. Can’t afford to be when you make your living with it. The deciding factor for me was I have a great relationship with the Ford dealer in town. They’re flat out amazing. So I went there.

He’s a Chevy guy, but the dodge was cheapest so he went that way.

In the end, I say buy what you like. They all make good trucks anymore. That being said, they also still all make Monday and Friday trucks that can have issues. That’s what warranty is for.

Buy what suits your needs best, and make sure to check out the service department. In my experience that will make or break any tool purchase.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:49 PM

Ford for me. You only live once. Might as well live big. My new ride and my last one.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I went to little alum. cargo trailer converted myself to adventure pod for me and the boys, didn't want to be restricted to future tow vehicles and went alum. 6x14 so could get away with a 3500 lb tow vehicle if needed as empty trailer was 1800 tandem with brakes. But yes you need half ton then and that's really not a bad market to be stuck in for vehicle requirements anyway!

Good luck on your choice, hope i helped, we seem to have pretty similar use and wants for vehicle.

I definitely appreciate your help. Now I just have to find a good deal on one.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rady0601 View Post
Ford...although you pay a premium for them these days
You can extend that to any truck these days...
Old 04-29-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
You can extend that to any truck these days...
Ya no kidding. Basic bare model starting at $40k and up from there it goes. Saw a few new 3/4 Ton diesels topping close to a $100k sticker price last fall.

I'm a Chevy/GMC guy all they way but if I had to chose between the 2 manufactures noted, an easy choice for Ford for me. 2 reasons, firstly I think Ford is quite innovative and pushes the edge in new trends (turbo charging, aluminum, etc.), secondly anyone I've ever known whom owned a Dodge product has been a mechanics best friend and that's from my own personal experience I've seen first hand. The chart below would back that up. Dodge (and the family) have been at near the bottom of this chart for as long as I can remember. Fiat certainly hasn't brought any value to the table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ratings.jpg (50.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:54 AM

Am I reading that correct. 167 problems per 100 vehicles??
Interesting reading though their report and it seems to not clarify that.
I would have to take away that every "Ram" out of 100 has problem.
It would appear that almost every vehicle has a problem besides wear items.
Is that how this is interpreted or am I reading that wrong?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Ford is quite innovative and pushes the edge in new trends (turbo charging, aluminum, etc.)
That is pretty innovative all right
Forgot to mention high pressure oil controlled injectors.....ground breaking.....