Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Tree stand Opinions

Hey guys so I’m curious to what everyone’s favourite style of tree stand is. I currently have a hang on stand and a ladder stand. I am thinking of buying a climber stand but not sold on having to climb down in the dark. And the hang on stand is a pain to get hung up sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
Hey guys so I’m curious to what everyone’s favourite style of tree stand is. I currently have a hang on stand and a ladder stand. I am thinking of buying a climber stand but not sold on having to climb down in the dark. And the hang on stand is a pain to get hung up sometimes

I much prefer the ladder stand. As I have got older I find it easier to climb, to secure to the tree, and MUCH MUCH quieter to go up or down. Personally I feel a lot more comfortable sitting in a ladder stand. On many occasions you can just set the ladder stand against the tree, and climb up without having to do any limbing. Our ladder stands go up to 16' but I only set them at 12.

I hunt on private land and can drive up pretty close to my setup area, might be different up north if you have to carry or haul in all your stuff. We hunt on private land so we can leave our stands out for a while if we like. So portability definitely the climber, but for comfort and stability the ladder stand. We got a double this past XMAS so I can take my grandson with me next season.

This one is set back about 20 yards from the trail

Last edited by bobalong; 03-08-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:28 PM

I think it's all personal preference. I own hang ons and a climber. I've had the opportunity to hunt from a few ladder stands. I personally prefer the hang on. I don't have to carry it in and out every time. I still keep my climber in case the patterns change and I need to change stand location. As for ladder stands I think they are too big and bulky.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 03-08-2018, 07:49 PM

I own all kinds and find myself hunting out of hang on stands more often than not. Likely because they are more portable than the other options and I like to get way back there. When I find a good spot I will often leave it in position for a few seasons. Makes it a lot easier!

Norm
Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I think it's all personal preference. I own hang ons and a climber. I've had the opportunity to hunt from a few ladder stands. I personally prefer the hang on. I don't have to carry it in and out every time. I still keep my climber in case the patterns change and I need to change stand location. As for ladder stands I think they are too big and bulky.
exactly this for me.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:00 AM

A lot of it for me is tied to budget (I can't buy every tree stand that I like!) as well as how much stuff I want to maintain etc. coupled with the diversity of places that I hunt.

I have access to a friend's farm, so that is better suited to a few ladder stands. They can be had for cheap, and they can stay on the farm. We're planning on building a tower blind there as well.

For the rest of my solo hunting, I use a climber because I hunt in such a variety of places. The only thing I don't like about it is the requirement to get a smooth, healthy tree.

Lately I've been hunting with the kids more - so the stands haven't been getting as much use as we've been stillhunting and blind hunting instead.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:

I've got a climber that I could sell you if you're interested...it's pretty much brand new. Send me an offer if you're interested.

https://www.amazon.ca/Summit-Treesta.../dp/B00K0LISF8
Old 03-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the input so far guys. How does everyone find the climber stands for climbing down in the dark?? I have used hang on stands lots in the past and always had trying to attach the stand to a tree while up 15 feet on little climbing sticks. ( not a fan of heights)

Old 03-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input so far guys. How does everyone find the climber stands for climbing down in the dark?? I have used hang on stands lots in the past and always had trying to attach the stand to a tree while up 15 feet on little climbing sticks. ( not a fan of heights)

When installing my hang on stand I use a rock climbing harness. When you get to your desired height on the tree then use a anchor strap around the tree just above where your putting your stand. With you safely anchored you can then sit into your harness and install the stand hands free. I've only used hang on stands and don't plan on using the others. Ladder stands you are limited to the hieght of the ladder(which is not that high usually) and finding a tree suitable for climbing can be a real challenge sometimes in the buck brush. This is what works for me.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
When installing my hang on stand I use a rock climbing harness. When you get to your desired height on the tree then use a anchor strap around the tree just above where your putting your stand. With you safely anchored you can then sit into your harness and install the stand hands free. I've only used hang on stands and don't plan on using the others. Ladder stands you are limited to the hieght of the ladder(which is not that high usually) and finding a tree suitable for climbing can be a real challenge sometimes in the buck brush. This is what works for me.
x2 on the rock harness. way more comfortable and safer than a tree stand harness. I use a lone wolf hang on with climbing sticks. I use a lineman's belt that I built from climbing gear. bombproof and lighter than the junk they sell for hunting. as for climbing up/down in the dark. practice-practice-practice.

go for a hike in the off season and go up and down 4-5 times. good workout and you improve you setup time. 7-8 minutes for me to go up and 6-7 to come down. I'm sure i could shave a few minutes with some effort.

Last edited by Knotter; 03-10-2018 at 02:57 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-10-2018, 08:08 PM

I have a Big Game ladder stand, 17 feet to the shooting rail and a Summit Viper climber.

They both have their good points. Once you've gone up and down with a Summit climber a couple of times it's pretty easy even in the dark [I turn on the headlamp if I think it's needed]. Just make sure there is a rope between the two parts so they cannot get too far apart when going up or down. And always wear your safety gear.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:58 PM

I have never thought about using rock climbing harness! What brands are you guys using ?

Old 03-12-2018, 07:55 PM

X3 on the harness. Makes me shudder thinking about all the needless bad spots and close calls because of not employing something so simple. The straw that would have broke my back or pelvis I’m sure was a tree step breaking. I had started using the harness at this time and I’m sure it saved my life or at the very least, me from a serious injury. Having both hands available is a game changer.

I use both ladders and hang ons. Ladders more in areas that are accessible by quad or truck. They are nice and quiet/sturdy for sure but limited in versatility as others have mentioned. Nice having a shooting rail if you’re doing double duty with a firearm too. The seats are quite nice for extended arse time.

My favourite hang ons are Lone Wolf Alpha IIs I believe. Nice and light. Super stable. The seat they come with is ok for short sits(4 hours or less) but all day sits you’ll want something a little more plush. Cost is restrictive as they are not cheap. I run quite a few Big Game hang ons too. Heavier and I don’t find them quite as rock solid on the tree but far from scary. Most stands occupy a tree for consecutive seasons so weight becomes a bit of a moot point.

I haven’t used a climber since ‘94 so I can’t comment on how skookum today’s models may or may not be.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:17 PM

I find ladder stands with no backrests are really uncomfortable. Some come with backrests, some don't.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Wildgame one person ladder stands, easy assemble, easy to hang, have a few extra ratchet straps to snug it up to the tree preventing it from moving and making noise. Cheap too....don't take them out of the woods, one has been there for six seasons solid as the day I got it. Rifle rest folds back so you can use a bow too.

Attachment 144355

Can't seem to get game to come by though?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:16 AM

Not trying to hijack the thread, but can you guys post a pic of the rock climbing harnesses you are using?

Ladders are awesome because you dont need to screw in steps.... Thats my least favorite part about set-up.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7shooter View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but can you guys post a pic of the rock climbing harnesses you are using?

Ladders are awesome because you dont need to screw in steps.... Thats my least favorite part about set-up.
Don't have a pic but I'm using a Black diamond harness. They are mostly the same. Some have more padding than others. You will need some gear to build an anchor. Carabiners and slings work for the anchor when setting up.You will want a rope with a prusik knot attached run up the entire hieght of your stand for a safety rope when you go up and down. Inspect this rope every time you leave it in the bush with your stand as squirrels can chew on them. Also, don't leave any climbing slings or ropes in the elements for any length of time as the suns UV rays will degrade them. My anchor sling lives in my pack
Old 04-03-2018, 04:25 PM

How much time do you spend in your stands? I have never hunted in one and feel like it might get uncomfortable and that you youd need to get very lucky to nail that big buck. am I wrong? I get it in the sates where they hunt over feed plots but we cant do that here.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:22 PM

crazy as it sounds... If you have a place that is safe to leave your equipment out a tripod with a 360 swivel seat is sure a treat. Can get a camo hood and enclosure for them for inclement weather so it let's you be hunting when you wouldn't want to sit in a tree. Heck, you don't even need a tree. The ones I have used had a big diameter platform which is nice too. Similar to the picture.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akloot1 View Post
How much time do you spend in your stands? I have never hunted in one and feel like it might get uncomfortable and that youd need to get very lucky to nail that big buck. am I wrong? I get it in the sates where they hunt over feed plots but we cant do that here.
Well your not wrong, but that's hunting. There's things you can do to increase your success though like scouting, calling, and recognizing feed, bedding and travel routes
Old 04-16-2018, 01:52 PM

Favorite is the climber, no issues with climbing in the dark. I have used tree branches, home built, hang on and ladder stands. Left my hang on in the tree and removed the steps, some energetic SOB, packed an aluminum ladder in, to get up to the stand.