Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
I did live and work in Ft Mac for 7 years, I could count the number of guys on one hand that hunted virtually everyone went home to the East Coast on their days off. I would bet if you tightened up the system 100% it would not reduce the number of "resident" hunters by much. Like you said many keep a NFLD drivers licence but almost all of them pay Alberta Income tax and save themselves 20%. For the ones that do buy a resident licence illigitimatly I would assume they are mainly hunting around the northern zones around Ft Mac anyway which really has no impact on the majority of hunters in the province. Should they be doing it absolutly not but I dot ink is the answer to significantly reducing draw times
I find that hard to believe. You should talk to the people around Wandering River about the problems they are having.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I find that hard to believe. You should talk to the people around Wandering River about the problems they are having.
Just because wondering river is being flooded by a ton of new people with a funny accent doesnt mean they are not now residents
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
Just because wondering river is being flooded by a ton of new people with a funny accent doesnt mean they are not now residents
Yes, but do they have resident status in other provinces as well? I'm not trying to paint them all with the same brush but it clearly is an issue.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Yes, but do they have resident status in other provinces as well? I'm not trying to paint them all with the same brush but it clearly is an issue.
If they are Newfoundlanders by birth they can retain hunting rights in that province without being a resident. Its something their province allows much like Alberta allows its military members to retain hunting privileges in this province even when posted to another province. In fact, many Newfs prefer to make Alberta their primary residence because of the hunting rights and low taxes.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
If they are Newfoundlanders by birth they can retain hunting rights in that province without being a resident. Its something their province allows much like Alberta allows its military members to retain hunting privileges in this province even when posted to another province. In fact, many Newfs prefer to make Alberta their primary residence because of the hunting rights and low taxes.
I did not know that, Thanks. Just trying to help come up with some kind of solution.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM

Default Nfld hunting rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
This is not correct. You now must hold a Nfld drivers license to be in the system there. If you are not a resident of Nfld, you aren't legally allowed in the resident draw.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
This is not correct. You now must hold a Nfld drivers license to be in the system there. If you are not a resident of Nfld, you aren't legally allowed in the resident draw.
That's my understanding aswell. If I want to go back to nfld and hunt I must go through an outfitter, no other option.