Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 08:53 PM

Default Maccabee SLR Review.

So I ordered a receiver set and didn’t know where to go with it. So it sat for a couple months while I did very little reading on it. Only because there isn’t very much info on them, so I’m starting this thread. I basically just went to Wild West Shooting Centre and bought what I could, the rest I ordered from Red Deer Shooting Centre (upper receiver kit, gas block and gas tube) and Calgary shooting Centre (barrel). Went really well for someone never working on an AR style rifle, I just followed CSC YouTube video. Couple problems I had was the trigger I bought first was a complete drop in that doesn’t work with the SLR. Second trigger I bought was a 2 piece and it works but needed some modification to the SLR trigger housing to rotate. Other than that, the rifle went together without a hitch and aligning the gas block and tube wasn’t as hard as I worried about.

I have about 60 rounds through it now and I feel like once it gets more worn in that it will be great. Haven’t shot it at any distances. I just put on a Leupold RDS sight, I’ll get out shooting it again for more accuracy type shooting and report back. Haven’t had a single feeding issue, ejecting issue, it’s a fun rifle to play with.

Magazines basically any AR mag works, I have 2 10 round pistol mags and 2 30 round Magpul mags. All work great
Old 03-23-2020, 06:37 PM

I bought another trigger for it from Calgary Shooting Center, they have a build link of parts they recommend. Shoots great and shoots as it’s suppose to, for just a red dot site it works great. Hopefully use it for 3 gun one day.

Just shot reloads out of it recently. Doesn’t dent or deform necks upon ejection. I’ll get a mount for it and try it’s accuracy out.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:12 PM

the SLR receivers are a great option for NR AR's

Im more partial to the ATRS Modern Sporter. It uses conventional take down pins instead of the t-slot and bolt of the SLR.

It also doesnt use a trigger pocket so all AR15 triggers will work in it.

Post some pics of your build! I built my own Stag-10 in 6.5 creed and i found it quite easy to assemble with all the youtube vids. It also helps having a friend who has built around 40 of them and owns many many.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:11 PM

I also am a proud owner of a Canadain made NR SLR. Mine is chambered in 6.5 Grendel and I’m seeing sub moa at 600m on a not so windy day(shooting my own hand loads) lol.I had feeding issues but it was related to the magazines I was using. Got that fixed up and it’s a blast. I have had my receiver screw back off on me, pin would defiantly be a better option but I don’t mind as I take it down and clean every 150-200 rounds anyhow. Would love to build another in 224. But with our current economic situation that is on hold.