Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I think most major Alberta highways weren't high graded and 'blacktopped' until the 1920's to 40's. I remember a few Highways that weren't paved until the 70's, close to Edmonton too.

This is an excerpt from the Alberta Culture website.

" By 1920, seven years after Henry Ford’s assembly line had made automobiles widely available, cars were no longer a novel sight on Alberta’s roads. Between 1921 and 1930, the number of cars in Alberta increased from 40,000 to 100,000, and the proportion of rural car owners doubled. As the number of drivers increased, so, too, did the accidents, collisions and deaths, causing the demands for improved and increased roads and highways to escalate."

http://history.alberta.ca/energyheri...nt/paving.aspx

This suggests that most highways didn't get paved until during the dirty thirties.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
A little more modern but still interesting...

Most rural Albertans couldn't imagine running a house or kids or their farm without electricity today. And most people wouldn't realize that as late as 1948 only 4% of rural Alberta had electricity. Some farmers had windmill or gasoline powered generators for power but most didn't have what they considered to be a 'frivolous luxury".

Alberta Rural Electrification was decided by gov't in 1948 and by 1961 87% of rural Alberta had electricity.
Electricity wasn't run to the area I grew up in until 1988.

The first school house was built in 1959, I was six years old.

The first all weather road to the area was completed in 1964, I was 10 years old.

The highway from Manning to Keg River was paved over the span of five summers, from 1964 to 1969. I left home to go to high school the fall of 1968

Telephones arrived in 1966, a centennial year project. The lines were underground. I watched the cats plow in line.

1965 our school was closed and all kids were bused to Keg River for school every day. A thirty mile ride, after all the kids were on board.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-23-2016, 06:18 AM
Banned

Thanks RB, very cool info.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:23 PM

In 1970 the Alberta wildlife act was expanded to include more species to give protection to all wildlife as opposed to only 'hunted'species.

The increased demand for 'wildlife' resulted in the need to manage harvesting and non consumptive(eg. wildlife watching) uses and value.
Environmental factors also began to affect habitat and wildlife populations making habitat management and protection essential..

Trudeau was prime minister.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 PM

In February of 1931 there was talk of gold being found in the mountains in the Livingstone range.(from Highwood river to the Crowsnest.) This was the start of the "Livingstone Gold Rush." The dirty thirties were just getting going.

Greenhorns from Lethbridge and Calgary were ill prepared and were going into the mountains and staking claims. In the mountains in February
is still winter. There were hundreds of men stumbling about the mountain streams.

Finally the provincial gov't intervened and started turning back the gold seekers.Two policemen were sent in to check on people. All were ok.
After the false gold rush was over the original 'livingstone claim' was offered for sale for a bottle of whiskey. There were no takers.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-23-2016, 03:11 PM

During the early years there were lots of dust storms in southern Alberta. It was a hobby that after a dust storm the settlers would go and find lots of FN artifacts and old guns where the soil had blown away.

One odd funny story was that a road crew were picking and shoveling for a road and they uncovered a human skull in the drifted dirt. One man snuck the skull into the soup pot that the chinese cook was making. I guess there was a lot of blood curdling yells by the men when they went to get soup.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:21 PM

Thought this was an interesting Tidbit regarding Alberta's National Parks.

Two of Alberta's five national parks began as wildlife sanctuaries. Elk Island (east of Edmonton) and Wood Buffalo (44,802 km2 straddling the border with the Northwest Territories) were created to help the species whose names they bear, but in both cases the most spectacular success has been in preserving the bison of the Plains. A number of provincial parks and wilderness areas function as wildlife reserves, including Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park in the southeast, Sir Winston Churchill Park on Lac La Biche and Willmore Wilderness Park north of Jasper.

BW
Old 08-23-2016, 03:33 PM

while restoring an older home near cemetery hill I found a newspaper used as insulation behind a wall. The Eaton's ad featured had a pair of shoes for $18 while a buffet hutch and dining room table/chairs was $6.

My friends father was the first white person adopted by a first nations family, his (the father/adoptee) adopted grandfather was Chief One Gun. Their house was an easy competitor to historical items kept at the Glenbow museum. When over for dinner nobody left the table when my friends father told stories about Alberta, not because we couldn't but because we didn't want to! For me being a new immigrant to Canada this was my first introductions to first nations history and the consolidation of the west. He passed away 30+ years ago but a day doesn't pass - when I'm fishing - reminiscing on his stories.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:48 PM

Default One Gun

http://digitallibrary.uleth.ca/cdm/s...n/id/624/rec/3
Old 08-23-2016, 03:56 PM

Crankbait- Thanks for sharing. I hope the stories are being written down and keep passing them on. Your friends father must of had a pretty colorful past.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
In 1970 the Alberta wildlife act was expanded to include more species to give protection to all wildlife as opposed to only 'hunted'species.

The increased demand for 'wildlife' resulted in the need to manage harvesting and non consumptive(eg. wildlife watching) uses and value.
Environmental factors also began to affect habitat and wildlife populations making habitat management and protection essential..

Trudeau was prime minister.
I need to correct myself... I meant the Canadian Wildlife Act was expanded ..not the Alberta wildlife act.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Electricity wasn't run to the area I grew up in until 1988.

The first all weather road to the area was completed in 1964, I was 10 years old.

The highway from Manning to Keg River was paved over the span of five summers, from 1964 to 1969. I left home to go to high school the fall of 1968

Telephones arrived in 1966, a centennial year project. The lines were underground. I watched the cats plow in line.

1965 our school was closed and all kids were bused to Keg River for school every day. A thirty mile ride, after all the kids were on board.

Where did you grow up? I've driven the Mackenzie highway a few times and know the turnoff for "Keg River Station" I believe. Is that where you were bussed to? If so how remote was the old school?
Old 08-23-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Where did you grow up? I've driven the Mackenzie highway a few times and know the turnoff for "Keg River Station" I believe. Is that where you were bussed to? If so how remote was the old school?
Just south of keg river is a turnoff east to "carcajou".
Old 08-23-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
By the mid to late 1870's the buffalo were wiped out. Until 1905 the dominant political idea was just to perpetuate hunting and not improve it. Hunting was thought of as something that would eventually disappear.
guy weadic (<?sp) started the Calgary stampede exhibition as a way of preserving (what he thought) was a disappearing way of life.

This is his house in Calgary on 5th street sw, cliff bungalow neighborhood.
the house beside the lane;

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.03388...7i13312!8i6656
Old 08-23-2016, 06:03 PM

The Smokey River got it's name from the Cree who named it because of the smoke coming from smoldering coal seams.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:40 PM

I know that this is posted on a historical point of interest sign, but i'll post it anyhow;

the Bleriot ferry on the rdr is named after the brother of Bleriot the first person to fly across the English channel.

there's a ton of cool history in the badlands and one particular point of interest sign is at the starland campground. i'll try to find it online and post here.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:34 PM

At Pigeon lake where Zeiner's park is on the NW side of the lake...

When you drive into the park and go straight towards the lake... in 1868 or 9 Hudsons Bay had a trading post right on the south side of this road close to the lake. I remember seeing the rotten log building when I was young. Not sure when it closed.

To the east of Zeiner's park along the shoreline the original pigeon lake trail is still intact. This trail was here long before the explorers.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
guy weadic (<?sp) started the Calgary stampede exhibition as a way of preserving (what he thought) was a disappearing way of life.

This is his house in Calgary on 5th street sw, cliff bungalow neighborhood.
the house beside the lane;

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.03388...7i13312!8i6656
It is a disappearing way of life. To bad, the world would be better off if we had more cowboys/cowgirls who lived by Gene Autry's cowboy code.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
The Smokey River got it's name from the Cree who named it because of the smoke coming from smoldering coal seams.
I've heard there is a place somewhere near Cadomin where a coal seam has been burning for at least the past couple of centuries too.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
there's a ton of cool history in the badlands and one particular point of interest sign is at the starland campground. i'll try to find it online and post here.
bit of a derail but interesting nonetheless. while trying to find a picture of the sign post at starland recreation area I was linked along to this. Apparently the campground rates a 4 on this chart but has anyone noticed that the glow of Calgary from the outskirts of the city is much duller since they switched to the new lights? maybe why I can see the northern lights from in the city limits now.

John Bortle's Light Pollution Scale

John Bortle Scale Alberta Night Skies

John Bortle created the light pollution scale. Pollution Map . Show Light Pollution In Your Location

A class 1 excellent dark sky, is something you'll never forget. Very few individuals have ever witnessed one. Finding a location with no light pollution is becoming a thing of the past. Not more than 100 years ago the night sky was completely visible. The milky way could be viewed from one horizon to other.

With more than half of the world’s population now living in cities, 3 out of every 4 people have never experienced the wonderment of pristinely dark skies. Thankfully some our national parks are starting to take action against light pollution by establishing dark sky preserves. Light pollution has a negative effect on the worlds ecosystems and our wildlife, especially migrating song birds. Jasper National Park seems to be leading the way on this issue by promoting dark sky events and restricting the use of artificial lightning and inefficient light fixtures.

Several of the campsites shown on AlbertaWow indicate the Bortle light scale number for it's location. Also see Attilla Danko's Night Sky Prediction Charts and Dark Skies Awareness

Class 1: Excellent dark-sky site - Black
The zodiacal light, gegenschein, and zodiacal band are all visible - the zodiacal light to a striking degree, and the zodiacal band spanning the entire sky. Even with direct vision, the galaxy M33 is an obvious naked-eye object. The Scorpius and Sagittarius region of the Milky Way casts obvious diffuse shadows on the ground. To the unaided eye the limiting magnitude is 7.6 to 8.0 (with effort); the presence of Jupiter or Venus in the sky seems to degrade dark adaptation. Airglow (a very faint, naturally occurring glow most evident within about 15 degrees of the horizon) is readily apparent. With a 32-centimeter (12½) scope, stars to magnitude 17.5 can be detected with effort, while a 50-cm (20-inch) instrument used with moderate magnification will reach 19th magnitude. If you are observing on a grass-covered field bordered by trees, your telescope, companions, and vehicle are almost totally invisible. This is an observer's Nirvana!

Class 2: Typical truly dark site - Gray
Airglow may be weakly apparent along the horizon. M33 is rather easily seen with direct vision. The summer Milky Way is highly structured to the unaided eye, and its brightest parts look like veined marble when viewed with ordinary binoculars. The zodiacal light is still bright enough to cast weak shadows just before dawn and after dusk, and its color can be seen as distinctly yellowish when compared with the blue-white of the Milky Way. Any clouds in the sky are visible only as dark holes or voids in the starry background. You can see your telescope and surroundings only vaguely, except where they project against the sky. Many of the Messier globular clusters are distinct naked-eye objects. The limiting naked-eye magnitude is as faint as 7.1 to 7.5, while a 32-cm telescope reaches to magnitude 16 or 17.

Class 3: Rural sky - Blue
Some indication of light pollution is evident along the horizon. Clouds may appear faintly illuminated in the brightest parts of the sky near the horizon but are dark overhead. The Milky Way still appears complex, and globular clusters such as M4, M5, M15, and M22 are all distinct naked-eye objects. M33 is easy to see with averted vision. The zodiacal light is striking in spring and autumn (when it extends 60 degrees above the horizon after dusk and before dawn) and its color is at least weakly indicated. Your telescope is vaguely apparent at a distance of 20 or 30 feet. The naked-eye limiting magnitude is 6.6 to 7.0, and a 32-cm reflector will reach to 16th magnitude. Long exposure astrophotos might show some light pollution gradient, but visual observing is relatively unimpaired.

Class 4: Rural/ suburban transition
Fairly obvious light-pollution domes are apparent over population centers in several directions. The zodiacal light is clearly evident but doesn't even extend halfway to the zenith at the beginning or end of twilight. The Milky Way well above the horizon is still impressive but lacks all but the most obvious structure. M33 is a difficult averted-vision object and is detectable only when at an altitude higher than 50 degrees. Clouds in the direction of light-pollution sources are illuminated but only slightly so, and are still dark overhead. You can make out your telescope rather clearly at a distance. The maximum naked-eye limiting magnitude is 6.1 to 6.5, and a 32-cm reflector used with moderate magnification will reveal stars of magnitude 15.5. Modest to serious impact to deep sky observing and imaging.

Class 5: Suburban sky
Only hints of the zodiacal light are seen on the best spring and autumn nights. The Milky Way is very weak or invisible near the horizon and looks rather washed out overhead. Light sources are evident in most if not all directions. Over most or all of the sky, clouds are quite noticeably brighter than the sky itself. The naked-eye limit is around 5.6 to 6.0, and a 32-cm reflector will reach about magnitude 14.5 to 15.

Class 6: Bright suburban sky
No trace of the zodiacal light can be seen, even on the best nights. Any indications of the Milky Way are apparent only toward the zenith. The sky within 35 degrees of the horizon glows grayish white. Clouds anywhere in the sky appear fairly bright. You have no trouble seeing eyepieces and telescope accessories on an observing table. M33 is impossible to see without binoculars, and M31 is only modestly apparent to the unaided eye. The naked-eye limit is about 5.5, and a 32-cm telescope used at moderate powers will show stars at magnitude 14.0 to 14.5.
Class 7: Suburban/urban transition
The entire sky background has a vague, grayish white hue. Strong light sources are evident in all directions. The Milky Way is totally invisible or nearly so. M44 or M31 may be glimpsed with the unaided eye but are very indistinct. Clouds are brilliantly lit. Even in moderate-size telescopes, the brightest Messier objects are pale ghosts of their true selves. The naked-eye limiting magnitude is 5.0 if you really try, and a 32-cm reflector will barely reach 14th magnitude. Less than 100 stars visible over 30 degrees elevation.

Class 8: City sky - white
The sky glows whitish gray or orangish, and you can read newspaper headlines without difficulty. M31 and M44 may be barely glimpsed by an experienced observer on good nights, and only the bright Messier objects are detectable with a modest-size telescope. Some of the stars making up the familiar constellation patterns are difficult to see or are absent entirely. The naked eye can pick out stars down to magnitude 4.5 at best, if you know just where to look, and the stellar limit for a 32-cm reflector is little better than magnitude 13.

Class 9: Inner-city sky - White
The entire sky is brightly lit, even at the zenith. Many stars making up familiar constellation figures are invisible, and dim constellations such as Cancer and Pisces are not seen at all. Aside from perhaps the Pleiades, no Messier objects are visible to the unaided eye. The only celestial objects that really provide pleasing telescopic views are the Moon, the planets, and a few of the brightest star clusters (if you can find them). The naked-eye limiting magnitude is 4.0 or less. Less than 20 stars visible over 30 degrees elevation.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Just south of keg river is a turnoff east to "carcajou".

That's right. Carcajou is 24 miles to the east, in a horse shoe shaped valley along the Peace River at the confluence of the Peace and Wolverine rivers.

I grew up in Carcajou and went to school in Carcajou, then in Keg River at the Dr. Mary Jackson school, and then in Wetaskiwin at the Wetaskiwin Composite High school.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-24-2016, 02:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Very interesting. And it is part of our history.

I grew up in a class one zone and now live in a class three zone.

Quote:
bit of a derail but interesting nonetheless. while trying to find a picture of the sign post at starland recreation area I was linked along to this. Apparently the campground rates a 4 on this chart but has anyone noticed that the glow of Calgary from the outskirts of the city is much duller since they switched to the new lights? maybe why I can see the northern lights from in the city limits now.

John Bortle's Light Pollution Scale

John Bortle Scale Alberta Night Skies

John Bortle created the light pollution scale. Pollution Map . Show Light Pollution In Your Location

A class 1 excellent dark sky, is something you'll never forget. Very few individuals have ever witnessed one. Finding a location with no light pollution is becoming a thing of the past. Not more than 100 years ago the night sky was completely visible. The milky way could be viewed from one horizon to other.

With more than half of the world’s population now living in cities, 3 out of every 4 people have never experienced the wonderment of pristinely dark skies. Thankfully some our national parks are starting to take action against light pollution by establishing dark sky preserves. Light pollution has a negative effect on the worlds ecosystems and our wildlife, especially migrating song birds. Jasper National Park seems to be leading the way on this issue by promoting dark sky events and restricting the use of artificial lightning and inefficient light fixtures.

Several of the campsites shown on AlbertaWow indicate the Bortle light scale number for it's location. Also see Attilla Danko's Night Sky Prediction Charts and Dark Skies Awareness

Class 1: Excellent dark-sky site - Black
The zodiacal light, gegenschein, and zodiacal band are all visible - the zodiacal light to a striking degree, and the zodiacal band spanning the entire sky. Even with direct vision, the galaxy M33 is an obvious naked-eye object. The Scorpius and Sagittarius region of the Milky Way casts obvious diffuse shadows on the ground. To the unaided eye the limiting magnitude is 7.6 to 8.0 (with effort); the presence of Jupiter or Venus in the sky seems to degrade dark adaptation. Airglow (a very faint, naturally occurring glow most evident within about 15 degrees of the horizon) is readily apparent. With a 32-centimeter (12½) scope, stars to magnitude 17.5 can be detected with effort, while a 50-cm (20-inch) instrument used with moderate magnification will reach 19th magnitude. If you are observing on a grass-covered field bordered by trees, your telescope, companions, and vehicle are almost totally invisible. This is an observer's Nirvana!

Class 2: Typical truly dark site - Gray
Airglow may be weakly apparent along the horizon. M33 is rather easily seen with direct vision. The summer Milky Way is highly structured to the unaided eye, and its brightest parts look like veined marble when viewed with ordinary binoculars. The zodiacal light is still bright enough to cast weak shadows just before dawn and after dusk, and its color can be seen as distinctly yellowish when compared with the blue-white of the Milky Way. Any clouds in the sky are visible only as dark holes or voids in the starry background. You can see your telescope and surroundings only vaguely, except where they project against the sky. Many of the Messier globular clusters are distinct naked-eye objects. The limiting naked-eye magnitude is as faint as 7.1 to 7.5, while a 32-cm telescope reaches to magnitude 16 or 17.

Class 3: Rural sky - Blue
Some indication of light pollution is evident along the horizon. Clouds may appear faintly illuminated in the brightest parts of the sky near the horizon but are dark overhead. The Milky Way still appears complex, and globular clusters such as M4, M5, M15, and M22 are all distinct naked-eye objects. M33 is easy to see with averted vision. The zodiacal light is striking in spring and autumn (when it extends 60 degrees above the horizon after dusk and before dawn) and its color is at least weakly indicated. Your telescope is vaguely apparent at a distance of 20 or 30 feet. The naked-eye limiting magnitude is 6.6 to 7.0, and a 32-cm reflector will reach to 16th magnitude. Long exposure astrophotos might show some light pollution gradient, but visual observing is relatively unimpaired.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-24-2016, 05:48 AM

Here is a link to a good light pollution map:

content://com.sec.android.app.sbrowser/readinglist/0408100559.mhtml
Old 08-24-2016, 12:53 PM

Regarding fur trade forts that came and went....

2.5 miles upstream of where Berrymore bridge crosses the North Saskatchewan river there was a trading post called "Quagmire House". It had been abandoned because it was surrounded by a dead swamp and inconvenient to get to. Alexander Henry junior mentioned it was abandoned but standing in 1811 when he visited the place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In 1791 where the Red Deer river merges with the South Saskatchewan river, near the town of Empress, Chesterfield House was built. If was abandoned and re-opened until the late 1820's. Started by the Northwest company, then became Hudson's Bay co. after the merge of the two companies. The XY company had a small trading post nearby too. Not sure of the location of the XY fort.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fort Normandeau was built in 1885 by the 65th Royal Rifles to guard the Red Deer River crossing 3.5 miles upstream of Red Deer. This fort had a 8 foot deep 10 foot wide moat filled with water around it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fort Ethier- 5 miles north of Wetaskiwin. Constructed during the Reil rebellion in 1885. It had 12 rifle ports to defend against attack. The 65th Mounted Royal Rifle forces built the fort and named it after their commander. It was built to protect the Edmonton Calgary trail during the Riel Rebellion. This fort was still standing in the 1980's when I last saw it. It may still be standing. Very close to the highway. Most likely the bush has grown up around it now if it is still standing. * picture is Fort Ethier. note the gun holes close to the top of the walls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fort Ethier built 1885.jpg (59.3 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by Red Bullets; 08-24-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:55 PM

Where the bridge that crosses the Sturgeon river in St. Albert... this was the location of the first bridge built west of the great lakes. Built in 1862 by Father Lacombe.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:13 PM

There are are no memorials or plaques at the site detailing the historical significance of Bow Fort.

There is no public access to the remains of Bow Fort.

The property is considered sacred spiritual land to the native people and digging or removing any remaining artifacts is strictly forbidden.

Archeologists believe there may have been up to 11 chimneys at the fort.

The most reliable research data places the construction of the five-sided stockaded post at 1833, and that it was occupied for less than a year, abandoned in favor of Rocky Mountain House.

Historians remain perplexed why a fort of such extensive size was left permanently in such a short time.

http://www.ghosttownpix.com/alberta/bow.html
Old 08-24-2016, 02:34 PM

Default Jimmy Simpson

https://books.google.ca/books?id=4mu...bl&ots=nb0AaDz

This link is about the man who built Num Ti Jah on Bow Lake. I've read a few books on this fellow, and he was an amazing man. A trapper, a guide, a cowboy, artist, and conservationist.

Jimmy Simpson traveled an lived between Banff Kootenay Plains and Jasper. He was friends of Wild Bill Peyto and others of the era. Great Alberta History of our National parks, at a time when trapping and hunting was aloud within the boundaries.

Its been years since I visited the lodge he built, not sure if its still open, but is a cool place to visit.

BW
Old 08-24-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
That's because the locals looked at you and said "That kid's gonna need some serious learnin'"

About the most archaic infrastructure I can remember is visiting my farmer relatives who still had party line telephones and outhouses.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
It is a disappearing way of life. To bad, the world would be better off if we had more cowboys/cowgirls who lived by Gene Autry's cowboy code.

Western wear purveyor Riley & McCormick, one of Alberta’s oldest businesses established in 1901, is riding off into the sunset at the end of the month.

They have survived many cycles of Alberta boom and bust in their long history, but this time it's the end of the trail because few people are wearing cowboy duds anymore.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:42 PM

There was a Volkswagen dealer in Alberta that saved all the wrecks and bad trade-ins that he acquired during the 1950's and 60's and squirreled them away on a rural property.

When he passed on, his son sold the property, but not before he cleaned it up and sent all the treasures to the crusher. That stuff would be worth a lot of money today for VW collectors - probably many times what the land sold for.

It was near Edson.