Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Beer is good in a sauna. I have never understood the idea of being tickled with a leafy branch though.
Have you ever tried it? And I mean not just watching it on tv but actually experienced it first hand?
A few years ago I took my Canadian born friends to Calagary where one Russian dude opened up Russian sauna... They all swear by it now and can't wait to go back there!
Old 10-21-2016, 05:58 AM

Years ago at a Cal Fit place my friend peed on the rocks..im betting beer smells better than that disaster. Good luck with the sauna, should be worth the effort.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Have you ever tried it? And I mean not just watching it on tv but actually experienced it first hand?
A few years ago I took my Canadian born friends to Calagary where one Russian dude opened up Russian sauna... They all swear by it now and can't wait to go back there!
Never personally tried it. I do like eucalyptus in the sauna. I would try it don't know of anywhere that does it. Not sure how much of a messaging effect it gives?
Old 10-21-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Never personally tried it. I do like eucalyptus in the sauna. I would try it don't know of anywhere that does it. Not sure how much of a messaging effect it gives?
Well let's see if we can get invited over by one of the fellows who is successful in building one here.... I will bring the "spanking" thing and let you be a judge... If you love it - just a thank you will do. If not - you can drink my beer!
Old 10-22-2016, 08:31 PM

Not sure about you guys but beer hits me 3 times as hard in the sauna. 2 or 3 is plenty. Killed a 6 pack once and barely made it to the shower. Maybe i'm just a lightweight
I usually have it about 130 F and pour water on the rocks till it hurts so i'm blaming that.
Side note : none of my buddies have ever whipped me with a branch in there
Old 10-24-2016, 09:23 PM

Into my second week and finally got a call from the City who then referred me to another department. That department however, returned my call within an hour or 2. I have to confirm with zoning tomorrow and I should be OK to proceed. I just have to build to the stove manufacturers clearance recommendations. Cautiously optimistic here.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Into my second week and finally got a call from the City who then referred me to another department. That department however, returned my call within an hour or 2. I have to confirm with zoning tomorrow and I should be OK to proceed. I just have to build to the stove manufacturers clearance recommendations. Cautiously optimistic here.
I was bored so I looked into it as well. You can get it built without to much trouble. As long as your sauna is detached from any other building has no power to it, is under 10m square and less than 4 meters (4 and change actually) tall no permit required. You will however need to get a permit for the fireplace (solid fuel burning appliance). After that it is just meeting building regulations and manufacturers regulations on installation of the wood stove.

Being that it is a small space I would look into getting a wood stove that is designed for small spaces to make fitting it (with proper clearance) easier.

This one looks like it would work well. Even designed to have a flat hot top for your rocks to go on!

https://www.unforgettablefirellc.com...ly-wood-stove/
Old 10-25-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Well let's see if we can get invited over by one of the fellows who is successful in building one here.... I will bring the "spanking" thing and let you be a judge... If you love it - just a thank you will do. If not - you can drink my beer!
Hey, this sounds not to bad at all. I will put a home brew on for the occasion as well. Should go well with the home made sauna! Is your branch home grown/harvested?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:29 PM

Cut it off the nice birch tree this late spring and currently is in my garage. Ready for the action!
Who want to take me up on my offer?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater cowboy View Post
Not sure about you guys but beer hits me 3 times as hard in the sauna. 2 or 3 is plenty. Killed a 6 pack once and barely made it to the shower. Maybe i'm just a lightweight
I usually have it about 130 F and pour water on the rocks till it hurts so i'm blaming that.
Side note : none of my buddies have ever whipped me with a branch in there
When I was in my 20es - 6 beers were ok. Now - not so good, lol! May be one or 2 and that's it. The rest of hydration is provided by drinking water and tea. I actually can tell you that tea with lemon taste very good!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I was bored so I looked into it as well. You can get it built without to much trouble. As long as your sauna is detached from any other building has no power to it, is under 10m square and less than 4 meters (4 and change actually) tall no permit required. You will however need to get a permit for the fireplace (solid fuel burning appliance). After that it is just meeting building regulations and manufacturers regulations on installation of the wood stove.

Being that it is a small space I would look into getting a wood stove that is designed for small spaces to make fitting it (with proper clearance) easier.

This one looks like it would work well. Even designed to have a flat hot top for your rocks to go on!

How did you manage to get the info so fast? Speaking with the planners they said no permit is required at all as long as I use a certified stove. They don't consider the building a hazard as a fire will really only be present while the building is occupied. It will not be burning constantly unattended. They wanted me to double check with the zoning department to insure there are no zoning conflicts. I don't think there should be, as anyone can have a fire-pit. So why would a stove which burns more efficiently cause zoning issues. (Knock On Wood) Waiting for the zoning department to return my call.

This is what I was considering.

http://www.newlifesauna.ca/products/...nd-150-sl.html

Want to build on skid 10 or 12 by 8. Have the sauna as 6 by 8 and the rest as a change room/wood storage/porch.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Cut it off the nice birch tree this late spring and currently is in my garage. Ready for the action!
Who want to take me up on my offer?
Well, if I manage to get this thing built before your switch dries up, you can come and beat me for all the imperfections in my project.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Well, if I manage to get this thing built before your switch dries up, you can come and beat me for all the imperfections in my project.
Done! Just say when and where!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:

I don't think that this will actually work well for you. This stove is design to heat up the living space, for what I can see. You will need a place for the rocks on top of your stove. And I don't see one here. The rocks will heat up and you will be able to throw the water on them for the steam.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:

[url]http://www.newlifesauna.ca/products/products/wood-burning-stoves/harvia-legend-150-sl.html.
This one looks great!
Old 10-26-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
How did you manage to get the info so fast? Speaking with the planners they said no permit is required at all as long as I use a certified stove. They don't consider the building a hazard as a fire will really only be present while the building is occupied. It will not be burning constantly unattended. They wanted me to double check with the zoning department to insure there are no zoning conflicts. I don't think there should be, as anyone can have a fire-pit. So why would a stove which burns more efficiently cause zoning issues. (Knock On Wood) Waiting for the zoning department to return my call.

http://www.newlifesauna.ca/products/...nd-150-sl.html

Want to build on skid 10 or 12 by 8. Have the sauna as 6 by 8 and the rest as a change room/wood storage/porch.

I got the info from the city. They have since clarified the info and the solid wood fuel appliance does not apply in this case. You don't actually need a permit (as long as you meet the accessory building specs). You will need to get a WETT (wood energy technology transfer) if you want to insure the building.

If you build it on skids and attach a hook to it (for loading on a trailer). It is a non permanent structure and is technically not subject to building codes. Tiny house guys get away with this all the time.

Your stove choice looks vastly superior to mine. Don't listen to me there.

Last edited by Jeron Kahyar; 10-26-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Saunas

I got pretty deep into sauna building earlier this year, I haven't built yet but it's on my list!
One of the ways of evaluating the quality of a sauna stove is its weight. The Harvia 150 is reportably a pretty good unit and weighs 58 kgs and takes 120 kgs if stone. The Narvi Velvet weighs 89 kgs and takes 160 kgs of stone.

I'm not certain that means the Narvi is better but it was the one I was interested in over the Harvia. They were in the process of exporting to a Canadian dealer earlier this year and I've just contacted their sales manager to see if that is now organized.

The Finns talk about steam quality and I've been assured the more stone the better quality the steam.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
I got pretty deep into sauna building earlier this year, I haven't built yet but it's on my list!
One of the ways of evaluating the quality of a sauna stove is its weight. The Harvia 150 is reportably a pretty good unit and weighs 58 kgs and takes 120 kgs if stone. The Narvi Velvet weighs 89 kgs and takes 160 kgs of stone.

I'm not certain that means the Narvi is better but it was the one I was interested in over the Harvia. They were in the process of exporting to a Canadian dealer earlier this year and I've just contacted their sales manager to see if that is now organized.

The Finns talk about steam quality and I've been assured the more stone the better quality the steam.
That looks like a great stove. Do they build a through wall version? That Harvia I am looking at the door goes through the wall so you can stoke it from outside or another room. I was going to have it in the "change room", then I'm not tracking junk into the sauna room to light it. Also my wood will store drier out in that room. Just my thoughts. I'm very much a sauna newbie so maybe my ideas are way off base.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Narvi

They make some tunnel models but you lose the pleasure of seeing the fire through the glass door, I'm not aware of any stoked from outside that also has a glass viewing window.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:30 PM

Hypermoa, you are thinking in a right direction. That how most of the saunas were built in Russia. You feed the heater/stove from outside.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
They make some tunnel models but you lose the pleasure of seeing the fire through the glass door, I'm not aware of any stoked from outside that also has a glass viewing window.
It is only valid for a dry sauna. Once you get a good amount of steam going- you don't see much of the flame. It is not a fireplace.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:45 AM

City called back late yesterday afternoon. No zoning issues. My sauna can go ahead WITHOUT any permits!!!!!!!!!! Now I just need to finalize a plan and start building. Ordered a book about basic sauna construction, with do's and dont's. It'll probably be a month or 3 but I will try to keep this thread on life support.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:02 PM

So guys anything new in this development?
Old 12-13-2016, 03:15 PM

I will be building. Its just a matter of finding the time now for the project. I work outside most days, so to go out on the weekend to work on it, in this weather, has been less than appealing. Probably start on it come spring I am thinking. I must be getting soft.

I think I have a layout planned out now. Been reading about sauna designs trying to figure out the do's and dont's. In the book they mention the whip you are so fond of.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:00 PM

permits ? we don't need no stinkin permit , build a sweatlodge , willow frame about 5ft diam 4ft high cover in canvas tarps , heat up rocks in a fire .... traditional
Old 12-13-2018, 07:13 PM

Hi guys,

I know im bringing this thread up from the past but i just finished building a wood burning sauna on a trailer! Time to get sweating on driveway
Old 12-15-2018, 12:43 PM

More details please! And pictures!
Old 12-15-2018, 12:48 PM

Has anyone else succeeded in building one?
I am aware of the Russian style sauna been almost ready to open in Edmonton. Hopefully a few more weeks, according to the Facebook page.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:25 PM

Would building it on a trailer get you around some of the permit issues?
Old 12-15-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickT View Post
Would building it on a trailer get you around some of the permit issues?
A buddy of mine had one back home.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk