Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 07:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongraves View Post
Why Remington Arms is so popular top brand among Firearms?
Because they are reliable, accurate, many models to choose from and will not break the ol' bank account.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-16-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
you would be wrong then.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatherby
Cat

There's info on a Wiki page to convince me that Weatherby actions aren't excellent in the case of a catastrophic failure? If so I missed it. Not that pages anyone can add to would sway me in any way.

I think a lot of African hunters and guides would be interested in knowing that about Weatherbys.

I own both Rems and Weatherbys, both excellent actions, but chips and my face on the line, I'd trust the Weatherby first, and every time after.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
There's info on a Wiki page to convince me that Weatherby actions aren't excellent in the case of a catastrophic failure? If so I missed it. Not that pages anyone can add to would sway me in any way.

I think a lot of African hunters and guides would be interested in knowing that about Weatherbys.

I own both Rems and Weatherbys, both excellent actions, but chips and my face on the line, I'd trust the Weatherby first, and every time after.
I thought you were referencing the most copied action part .
I have never been a fan of Howa actions compared to the Mauser 1898 style action personally but mainy refute that as well.
I don’t think you will find the Weatherby action is very prevelant in African Hunting circles .

Cat
Old 12-16-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post

Here is what an African PH has to say about the various rifles. Notice which one he refers to as his least favorite.

https://www.africahunting.com/thread...ncy-exam.2604/
Old 12-16-2018, 08:40 AM

Remington’s are popular because in their hay day they offered what people wanted, rifles, shotguns, rimfires, bolt, pump, semi, lefty, ambi.....all in the latest raciest chambering too.
Cartridges like the .223 Remington, 7mm Remington Magnum, 25’06 Remington etc... they were the front runner trend setter and pioneer for a lot of inovations.

The Remington 700 became the pinnacle of production rifle accuracy because the action was a glorified piece of pipe, which was easy to keep within tollerences, and was repeateble in the mass production arena.

The 870 was reliable to the point that gunsmiths never carried spare parts because it was just excess inventory you never moved.

They made pump action centerfire rifles in high stepping cartridges like .270Win, and .243Win, that were ambidextrous, shot like a bolt action in the accuracy department, yet slid in a saddle scabbard like a lever gun.

They offered their bolt guns, and shotguns in left hand variants.

Sounds like a recipe for success, until market conditions changed, and the competition got caught up, and holding companies and investment firms got hold of the whole thing. And yes a very high profile safety oriented issue was trumpeted in the MSM.

I still own, and will still buy them when the hankering hits me.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-16-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I thought you were referencing the most copied action part .
I have never been a fan of Howa actions compared to the Mauser 1898 style action personally but mainy refute that as well.
I don’t think you will find the Weatherby action is very prevelant in African Hunting circles .

Cat

No sir. I commented earlier about the reliability and excellence of their actions too. I quite like my 700's and the 7mm is probably the most accurate and repeatable rifle I own. Bests my CM in fact.

Hear you on the Mausers. I'd never argue against a tried and true.

Last edited by 270person; 12-16-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Here is what an African PH has to say about the various rifles. Notice which one he refers to as his least favorite.

Doesn't have much good to say about either huh? I do agree with his opinion on the CZ's though. Excellent rifle for the money.

Either way one man's opinion and you know the old saying about those. Pretty sure if we were to get an account of which rifle brands have shot the most African game Weatherby would be right up there but to each his own. That what it's all about.

A good friend is one of the larger African and NZ trip agents and hunts the continent twice a year. He swears by Blaser so there you go. Out of my price range.

I like my Rems. Like my Weatherby's too and have confidence in both. All shoot really well. Range or in the field.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

Old african PH philosophies continue in other words elk. Old Roy and his shiny new high speed contraptions weren't well thought of back in the day. Nothing to do with the actions. Probably more to do with ridiculous speed combined with cup and core disintegration. This of course is not the case today.

Damned American and his single barreled rifles. How dare he?

There are quite a few articles recommending the Vanguard in .300 WM for plains game actually. Wouldn't have believed that one myself.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:07 PM

When I was 15 years & 11 months I put a deposit on a new 870 Express. One of the best purchase I ever made. Quality was more than good enough and at a price I could get enough money together for.