Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 06:40 AM

Default Wi-Fi Help

Hello Everyone.
I currently have Telus as my internet provider and I have their best router and internet plan.

The router is located in what use to be my attached garage which was converted to an art room for the wife. Because of this the Wi-Fi signal has to go through an insulated wall. Our living room is 10 yards away and we struggle with a consistent Wi-Fi signal. Telus came out and moved the router which ended up with cables on the floor in our living room which I hate. I had them move the router back into the art room.

All that said - I have tried a couple of wireless extenders that work well but then they drop the signal. I have moved them to several locations and have the same issue. I was reading about hooking up an "access point " to the router and this seems like an option but I have no idea if it will boost the signal? Or do I just look for a better router?

The wireless extender says it good for 15,000/sq feet so as mentioned it works well when connected. I tried a "mesh" network with the same results as the extender.

Whew - been a long time since I have typed this much So any thoughts on a plan of attack? Or should I just bring in someone to set up a full network?

Thanks, Dodger.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 AM
Banned

Phone Telus and tell them to move it to where you want it and to properly run the cables while they're at it. Telus ran new Cat6e through my entire house matching where Shaw cable had cable runs. The installer also added a Telus extender in the basement with complete new cabling, although I think you need one of their top plans to get the extender. I can get a good signal sitting on my front street.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:56 AM
Banned

Get a better router, not the one telus provides. Memory Express has a great selection. Asus is a good brand.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:58 AM

Get yourself some powerline adapters, they plug into your wall outlets, then buy another router to use in the area you want wifi, or hard wire. I even have one in my shop that's 100' away & it works great.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Phone Telus and tell them to move it to where you want it and to properly run the cables while they're at it. Telus ran new Cat6e through my entire house matching where Shaw cable had cable runs. The installer also added a Telus extender in the basement with complete new cabling, although I think you need one of their top plans to get the extender. I can get a good signal sitting on my front street.
Thanks for the tip Weedy1. I have there best plan due to the crazy amount of wireless products we have in our home. I may have them come back.

Dodger.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:03 AM

Good luck getting either Telus or Shaw to run new Cat 6 as it's not their responsibility to recable your house (but kudos if u can).
I use an Ethernet over power box as I had the same issue. One box connects from the router to a power socket and then the other box connects where I don't have a cable into a power socket - you would simply plug your WiFi extender into this.
Mine is used primarily to run Kodi on my TV in HD - never had an issue in the last 2 years.
Brand is D-Link (I think), cost about $80 on sale at Best buy
Old 01-17-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
Get yourself some powerline adapters, they plug into your wall outlets, then buy another router to use in the area you want wifi, or hard wire. I even have one in my shop that's 100' away & it works great.
Hello gmcmax05.
I was looking at these but the manufacturers say it must be on the same circuit. I am far from being an electrician so I do not know if the whole house is considered the same circuit??

Thanks, Dodger.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 AM

I'm not an electrician either, but I am running 4 adapters & not 1 is on the same breaker, in fact my house & shop run different directions from the pole & they work from the house to the shop. I use D-links from Bestbuy or Walmart for about $60 for a pack of 2.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:18 AM

Google wifi. Easiest thing in the world and made for non-techy types like us!

It's a router and an access point that is controlled through an app on your phone. It's a little pricey but man is it easy to use and works great.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/google-...hoCUuEQAvD_BwE

They sell them everywhere, Walmart, Bestbuy, etc.

So it's as easy as this. You replace your Telus router with this unit. Where ever you have weak signal, plug another unit in about halfway between the first one and the weak signal area. Open up the app on your phone and tell it to connect the new router to the old one as an access point (it's 3 or 5 button clicks).

There's a million and one of these options out there. The one thing I prefer about googles unit is it is connected to googles servers and automatically keeps itself up to date with the latest security trends and whatnot.

The other nice thing is the app gives you a lot of control over how the wifi is used in your house. You can setup a familty time where it turns off wifi for certain users, you can block sites if you like, and you can prioritize one persons data over another so if your netflix is slow cause the kid is playing online games...
Old 01-17-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
Google wifi. Easiest thing in the world and made for non-techy types like us!

It's a router and an access point that is controlled through an app on your phone. It's a little pricey but man is it easy to use and works great.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/google-...hoCUuEQAvD_BwE

They sell them everywhere, Walmart, Bestbuy, etc.

So it's as easy as this. You replace your Telus router with this unit. Where ever you have weak signal, plug another unit in about halfway between the first one and the weak signal area. Open up the app on your phone and tell it to connect the new router to the old one as an access point (it's 3 or 5 button clicks).

There's a million and one of these options out there. The one thing I prefer about googles unit is it is connected to googles servers and automatically keeps itself up to date with the latest security trends and whatnot.

The other nice thing is the app gives you a lot of control over how the wifi is used in your house. You can setup a familty time where it turns off wifi for certain users, you can block sites if you like, and you can prioritize one persons data over another so if your netflix is slow cause the kid is playing online games...
I tried the mesh network with the ASUS Lyra. The 2nd receiver was just 10 yards away and would drop the signal. I used the app and it showed the signal was strong then it would blink to weak signal.

Dodger.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:55 AM

I was having trouble with my blue ray player connecting, for a long time. Everything else seemed to work in that room.

Then I changed the routers wireless channel to one that is less popular in my neighborhood. Boom works great.

I think Telus sets them all on default (ie the same channel as each other).

I used an app on my phone called "Wifi Analyzer" to determine the least used channel when I changed mine.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald_G View Post
I was having trouble with my blue ray player connecting, for a long time. Everything else seemed to work in that room.

Then I changed the routers wireless channel to one that is less popular in my neighborhood. Boom works great.

I think Telus sets them all on default (ie the same channel as each other).

I used an app on my phone called "Wifi Analyzer" to determine the least used channel when I changed mine.
I will check this out but I do not know how to change a channel on a router. Remember - I am a tech idiot !!

Dodger.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 AM

I'd try a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR access point. About 150 dollars. Range is around 600 feet.

Not sure what wifi boosters you were using but some are directional, others are prone to interference.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:29 AM

Default Wi-Fi Help

I stopped using Asus routers a few years ago when I was replacing the 3rd or 4th one I bought. Found the brand to not be very reliable. I'm 6 months onto the Google units now and haven't had any problems.

You may want to do some research on the frequency wifi runs at too. There may be some building materials blocking the signal. Low frequencies penetrate walls better but don't go as far. Vice versa for high frequencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-17-2018, 09:12 AM

One other thing to note with Telus wifi. I was having issues of dropping as well in our new home. I always used the 5g, because it’s suppose to be the faster of the two. My buddy told me to log in to the 2.4g as its almost as fast, but penetrates barriers better. Haven’t had a wifi signal drop since going to the 2.4 Speed is also excellent.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:13 AM

Get your own router not the telus junk. Just have telus disable the wireless feature on their modem/router. Asus gets top mark reviews for routers in the $200+ range

Have a real IT guy set it up for you.

Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Quiroga View Post
I'd try a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR access point. About 150 dollars. Range is around 600 feet.

Not sure what wifi boosters you were using but some are directional, others are prone to interference.
I am using 2 X TP link AC2600 extenders that plug into the wall. One is in the bedroom above the garage/suite, the other is half way into the living room ( 10 yards from router ).

Dodger.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
Get your own router not the telus junk. Just have telus disable the wireless feature on their modem/router. Asus gets top mark reviews for routers in the $200+ range

Have a real IT guy set it up for you.

Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
I was thinking of doing this and just be done with the battle.

Dodger.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:45 AM

I would try changing the channel of the router first. It may fix your problem at no cost.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 AM

Telus changed our router out last week with the fancy new black one. Solved all our WiFi issues throughout our house. We have at least 30 wireless devices...
Old 01-17-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I would try changing the channel of the router first. It may fix your problem at no cost.
I would try but ------------------------------------------ tech idiot

Dodger
Old 01-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I am using 2 X TP link AC2600 extenders that plug into the wall. One is in the bedroom above the garage/suite, the other is half way into the living room ( 10 yards from router ).

Dodger.
Not familiar with those. Two minute Google search revealed the number one complaint however is dropped connections lol.

I'd return them and try the Ubiquiti unit I mentioned above.

Edit> If your Telus router doesn't have a POE port you'll also need a cheap switch with POE.

Last edited by Joe Quiroga; 01-17-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Telus changed our router out last week with the fancy new black one. Solved all our WiFi issues throughout our house. We have at least 30 wireless devices...
I have the newest one. 21 devices, but wife's MacBook is struggling and everyone know about unhappy wife = .....................

Dodger.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I would try but ------------------------------------------ tech idiot

Dodger
It's not hard, look at the sticker on the router, it will give you an ip address, username and login, go to your computer, enter that ip address into the address line on your internet explorer, it should pop up and ask for a username/password. voila. then it's just a matter of looking for the channel options in the different menus.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannas View Post
Good luck getting either Telus or Shaw to run new Cat 6 as it's not their responsibility to recable your house (but kudos if u can).
I use an Ethernet over power box as I had the same issue. One box connects from the router to a power socket and then the other box connects where I don't have a cable into a power socket - you would simply plug your WiFi extender into this.
Mine is used primarily to run Kodi on my TV in HD - never had an issue in the last 2 years.
Brand is D-Link (I think), cost about $80 on sale at Best buy
Actually - it is ...........if you are smart. Unfortunately most sheep just accept the fact they won't re-wire your house for you and accept the fact they will be on your doorstep to collect their monthly fees.

BUT, if they want MY business - and my monthly fees - they are going to re-wire my entire house (if needed) and not charge me one red penny. If not, the other provider is happy to do it for me.

They can decide themselves.

That is, ironically, the way it REALLY works ...... you just have to be clear on your expectation and let them know that you are aware that you, as a consumer, have options.

I had my provider run re-wire and run multiple dedicated lines throughout my house with the latest technology to support our needs. The only thing they did not do was one square drywall patch - which I needed to re-tape and paint on the third floor.

2 guys - all day - probably a few hundred feet of cable, an electrician and my bill actually went down and stayed down the following month.

And - BTW - this came with ZERO obligation (in the form of a contract tieing me to this provider) for ANY period of time.

My proposal was simple - YOU, as my perspective supplier, decide what YOU want to offer ME to have my business.

And ........ that advice was free.

Kudos to ME I guess ..... lol
Old 01-17-2018, 11:00 AM

Never had good luck with Shaw and high end routers we bought. Even with boosters.
Move into new house with telus and their product covers my house and garage perfectly
Old 01-17-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
It's not hard, look at the sticker on the router, it will give you an ip address, username and login, go to your computer, enter that ip address into the address line on your internet explorer, it should pop up and ask for a username/password. voila. then it's just a matter of looking for the channel options in the different menus.
Exactly, try this first. If you can use an app to scan for least-used channels before you start, that would be best. There's some useful info at this link.

To configure your router, there's some instructions at this link. If you get stuck, you can PM me.

EZM has a good point about cabling, too. I just had a new router installed (with upgraded service). It's working great, although I had to get them to install the router in a different spot. I have to admit, I don't have EZM's fortitude... I took my time and started making some CAT6 wire runs to different spots in the house, mainly because I had extra wire kicking around and it gave me an opportunity to get the kids to learn how to terminate RJ-45 connectors.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

Dodger.
Wireless AC uses a 5ghz radio spectrum which is nice because there's more distinct frequencies available but it often results in this because it's not as good at dealing with obstructions like walls.

An inexpensive wireless "extender" is probably going to make this worse not better too. This device is really a repeater, what it does is take requests from local devices and send them on to the router using a more powerful radio. You have to understand that when you have a whole bunch of radios all acting on the same channel they all have to take turns, only one device can transmit at a time. This is bad enough when you have the router and 10 devices using the same channel but throw in the repeaters doubling the traffic and then a couple neighbors using the same channel and you're screwed. If those extenders are talking to each other it's going to get even worse.

There's two ways to solve this.

The first and best is to run a cable from the router to another point in the house where you can put a Wifi Access Point, this will also be less expensive up front. This device provides wifi access without doing all of the router bits and then forwards the traffic to the router over the Ethernet cable. You might run across the term "backhaul", this means "connection between wireless and the router".
This is the way most corporate wifi networks are built but it's getting hard to find consumer devices that are just APs, everybody keeps putting backhaul radios on them and selling them as "extenders".

I use this one, it would work well with your Telus router and a cable.
https://www.londondrugs.com/netgear-...orkcardsaccess

Ubiquiti is decent too.

Your second option is using a good extender device, the new "Mesh" wifi systems fall into this category. The thing that distinguishes a good extender from a cheap one is that it has at least 2 radios. They communicate with client devices using one radio and then use the second on different frequency to send the data back to the router. This keeps the backhaul from swamping the client devices.

The Netgear Orbi is a nice system that allows you to do both Mesh style and Ethernet backhaul. It will replace the Telus wifi and router but will still need a modem attached to it to communicate with the internet. Your Telus router is probably a combo device, you would have to ask them to disable the router part, usually this is called "bridging".

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10490595.aspx?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:44 PM

You will obviously get lots of advice on router and other equipment, and that may solve your problem.

If it doesn’t, you need to find the root cause for the issue. WiFi is a radio signal no different than a cell phone, wireless phone or other wireless device. They are all subject to the same issues with interference.

I would look at everything wireless in your house. As a first step, I would unplug or take the batteries out of all of them and try your current setup.

Of problem continues, I would look at everything that is between the device you’re trying to use and your access point / router. If there is a fridge, freezer, microwave oven, furnace, lots of metal, any kind of cage or wire in between, either move it, or your device.

If still problematic, measure how far you are in distance between the access point / router and the device you’re using. Walls, insulation, concrete, firewall or other material will greatly reduce the signal from the access point.

Extenders have to wirelessly (or wired) connect to the base router. They will as susceptible to the problem as your device.

Wired connections are WAY better than wireless. Wireless works best with line of sight and no obstacles.

Change the protocol on your router. Use 802.11a or 802.11b for maximum range (but least speed) as a test. Your internet connection will likely be the slowest part of the network, so having a gigabit wireless connection on a 15megabit internet connection will only yield the speed of the lowest denominator.

Mesh networks are generally better than extended networks. The whole network is one, vs separated with extenders. (There are technical reasons for this, and different environments are better for each)

Rule of thumb for wireless.. if you have more than 2 walls between you, and are longer than 25’ away, a wired connection is the way to go. If there are many other devices that are wireless, they will likely all compete for the same frequency space, and everything will be poorer quality as a result.

Hopefully something here helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 01:24 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Actually - it is ...........if you are smart. Unfortunately most sheep just accept the fact they won't re-wire your house for you and accept the fact they will be on your doorstep to collect their monthly fees.

BUT, if they want MY business - and my monthly fees - they are going to re-wire my entire house (if needed) and not charge me one red penny. If not, the other provider is happy to do it for me.

They can decide themselves.

That is, ironically, the way it REALLY works ...... you just have to be clear on your expectation and let them know that you are aware that you, as a consumer, have options.

I had my provider run re-wire and run multiple dedicated lines throughout my house with the latest technology to support our needs. The only thing they did not do was one square drywall patch - which I needed to re-tape and paint on the third floor.

2 guys - all day - probably a few hundred feet of cable, an electrician and my bill actually went down and stayed down the following month.

And - BTW - this came with ZERO obligation (in the form of a contract tieing me to this provider) for ANY period of time.

My proposal was simple - YOU, as my perspective supplier, decide what YOU want to offer ME to have my business.

And ........ that advice was free.

Kudos to ME I guess ..... lol
Have you tried that same approach with EPCOR when you need another ac outlet, or the City of Edmonton when you want to add another plumbing fixture in your house? That being said, most internet providers will weigh out the costs associated with completely re-wiring a residence/business free of charge. They may do the work pro-bono, or tell you that you are more than welcome to go with another internet provider. It all depends on the company, the individual installer and what type of marketing blitz is in play at that particular time. I built my own residential LAN so that it was plug and play when the installer showed up, thus needing to miss very little time at work/pay, and ensuring that the work was done properly damage free.