Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 10:22 AM

Default Knife sharpening

Hey there everyone. I got the million dollar question for you all. What's is the best Knife sharpener out there that people use especially on fillet knifes.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:32 AM
AO Sponsor

There really is no "best"... Really, most will do exactly the same job if you take the time to learn to use them properly. For the most part I sharpen almost every edge tool, knives included, freehand on ceramic water stones and diamond plates and my edges are shaving sharp. If I chip and edge and have to reform a bevel completely, then I go to the belt grinder but once established I go back to freehand...

A lot will come down to how much money you are comfortable spending. Some systems work great but cost thousands. Some are mediocre and cheap but they still provide a very usable edge. Just depends.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:34 AM

I have a series of DMT bench stones. You can sharpen everything from a spade to a straight razor. I have a jig to set the angle for chisels and plane irons and I freehand my knives.

You can tell when I have been sharpening my knives because I develop this strange condition where I lose all the hair on my left forearm

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:37 AM

- ceramic sharpening steel for honing as I'm working

- japanese water stone for sharpening after work 1000/6000
Old 01-16-2018, 10:41 AM

Work sharp are good, They're a belt type. I had a cabelas sportsman electric one that was ok while it lasted.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:43 AM

Ken onion work sharp.
The best.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Speedy sharp from Cantire for out in the field. Best $15 I ever spent.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sp...-0578006p.html

Oops, looks like the price went up to $20.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Banned

Edge pro, stones.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 AM

For a finished edge on filleting knives. Works great. And you don't know it but you already own the sharpener. This is what I use for my knives.

Go to your cupboard and get a good ceramic cup. The bottom of the cup typically is not glazed like the cup and is a raw ceramic. The bottom of the cup is just as good as any ceramic sharpener. Running your filleting knife blade over the cup bottom a few times is great for touching up a finished edge while working. Ideally, blade edges should be sharpened at a 17 to 20 degree angle.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-16-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Tsprof

Tsprof has worked best for me
Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

Another vote for the work sharp, sharpens all kinds of blades. Angles are set which result in a very sharp edge and easy to do. I believe (myself anyway) a lot of people who have trouble sharpening is because of holding the knife, axe etc at the wrong angle or inconsistent angles.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:36 AM

It's no trouble to gauge the sharpening experience or knife steel used from a guys sharpener choice.

The best for a sharpening challenged guy would be a edge pro or wicked edge system. Neither are cheap but work very well without destroying your knife.

If your willing to put in a little effort to learn how to sharpen a knife a good set of stones is all a guy needs. I also use dmt stones, there was a time I used water stones but they won't cut the knife steels that I use and ended up being sold. I don't shave my face with my knives so a 3x8" dmt with a 325/600 grit edge is all I use now. I prefer the 600 grit edge for a working edge and have no interest in taking it to a mirror polish.

If your using a junk knife and don't mind destroying it, any of the belt sander, carbide sharpeners work good enough for the average guy.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Bottom line is the best one is the one you know how to use well.

Almost any flat abrasive surface will give an adequate finish to use. You can even get quite good results with a bit of water, a piece of plate glass and some wet/dry sandpaper. Myself I use some oil stones to put an edge on then a ceramic stick to toich it up as needed.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Banned

These work amazingly well https://www.cabelas.ca/product/63694...ield-sharpener
Old 01-16-2018, 12:32 PM

I use the work sharp with the belts,when your 6000 belt gets worn down I bought a tube flitz or auto sol car or metal polish and add just wee dab on the belt and it goes up to around 7000 and you don't have get rid of your belts as long as you keep adding a bit of polish.I use the 220 belt and then 6000 then there sharp. At night when I guide I do my four knives in 6 minutes and I am good for couple hundred fish no problem.There may be better out there,but I need my knives done fast and easy and hold a good edge.

If you go hard on your 220 belt you can cause damage to your knife,so as little as needed then the 6000 which will not harm your blade.Once my angle is made with 220 I just touch it up with the 6000 belt more or less just fine tuning that edge.

Last edited by JD848; 01-16-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigPig View Post
Ken onion work sharp.
The best.
I absolutely suck with a stone, so for me this ^^^ is the best. Idiot proof.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Ken onion work sharp.
The best.
If you understand sharpening it's a good system. If you don't, you can ruin a blade pretty quickly.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-16-2018, 01:06 PM

I have a worksharp Ken Onion model and like it a lot, though it does have a weak point in that it will round over the knife tip. They also come with abrasive belts that were not particularly effective on better knife steels such as S30V or two other types that I have. I located some silicon carbide belts from an online vendor and solved that issue.

I would eventually like a system similar to the Wicked Edge or whatever the name of the Russian one is that Wranglerstar tested on his YouTube channel
Old 01-16-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
If you understand sharpening it's a good system. If you don't, you can ruin a blade pretty quickly.
Your right about the overheating but your ignoring the fact they remove to much stock. There's no way I would consider using one on a good knife.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Your right about the overheating but your ignoring the fact they remove to much stock. There's no way I would consider using one on a good knife.
I didn't say anything about overheating, removing to much stock is more a danger than overheating. Someone that understands sharpening can get an edge in a matter of seconds using this tool. But they need to understand sharpening.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-16-2018, 01:59 PM

Wicked edge - but stupid expensive.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Japanese water stones with different grits.

I find this method gets me into a zen like state

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2018, 02:11 PM

I'm not really familiar with everything that's on the market these days, but my old Lansky sharpening system has served me well over the years.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I use the work sharp with the belts,when your 6000 belt gets worn down I bought a tube flitz or auto sol car or metal polish and add just wee dab on the belt and it goes up to around 7000 and you don't have get rid of your belts as long as you keep adding a bit of polish.I use the 220 belt and then 6000 then there sharp. At night when I guide I do my four knives in 6 minutes and I am good for couple hundred fish no problem.There may be better out there,but I need my knives done fast and easy and hold a good edge.

If you go hard on your 220 belt you can cause damage to your knife,so as little as needed then the 6000 which will not harm your blade.Once my angle is made with 220 I just touch it up with the 6000 belt more or less just fine tuning that edge.
Exactly if you only have a few knives and don't mind taking forever to sharpen them, then stones/water/oil are fine. When you have about 30 knives kitchen and family hunting/fishing knives combined the work sharp style is the only way to go.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:26 PM

Check out the double bevel Broadhead Pro from Alaska Bowhunting Supply. As the name implies originally designed for broadheads, it's the size of a lighter, it puts a sticky sharp edge on any knife I've used it on and it's ceramic coated so you can use as a hone.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:54 PM

For my filet knife I just use one of these, only 10 bucks on Amazon.

Works surprisingly well.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Exactly if you only have a few knives and don't mind taking forever to sharpen them, then stones/water/oil are fine. When you have about 30 knives kitchen and family hunting/fishing knives combined the work sharp style is the only way to go.
If you buy a good stone and learn how to use it a guy can sharpen a knife in two or three minutes. I'm talking knives made of good steel, s110v, m390, s90v, cts-204p, m4 etc. not your standard crap 420/440 stainless or a carbon steel that can be cut with most any stone.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:55 PM

Accusharp

229 reviews on Amazon.ca. $15. I sucked at sharpening knives my whole life using stones, ceramics, diamonds, bla, bla, bla.

I will never buy anything else other than accusharp for kitchen knives, skinning knives, filet knives, boning knives. They get a knife scary sharp in a dozen strokes.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ken onion work sharp.
The best.

Times two or 3.
Just got one for Christmas.
I love it.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Very much disagree. If you take a little time and read the manual, watch some YouTube you will be able to sharpen any knife razor sharp.
I am a collector of fine knives and have never ruined any of my knives or took to much stock off. Even high end custom knives are made on a belt sander, so they can't be that bad.