Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Badger Lake Warning

Was at Badger yesterday and was suprised to see a truck thru the ice. Upon further investigation it seems the truck has been there a week or two. Anyone know the story behind it.
We decided to drill holes out to test the ice. We started at 18” at shore and stopped at 14”. Then we decided to start fishing. This is where things got scary. I started drilling holes and the ice thickness varyied from 14” to 6”.

I admit I haven’t fished badger in many years but I don’t ever recall the ice being this unpredictable.

707CFA69-34D0-44A9-88D2-298983C90D24.jpg
Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 AM

I’m over at Newell and it’s similar. 8-16” everywhere I have drilled and there are guys cruising around in 1 tons. Even in my car is sketchy.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:06 PM

Wow, that is unpredictable. Not the same as central or North where the ice is 20 inches or deeper.

Too bad about the truck through.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:54 PM

Default 2017/2018 Ice Thickness Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb
Was at Badger yesterday and was suprised to see a truck thru the ice. Upon further investigation it seems the truck has been there a week or two.

Don’t you pay a fine for every day that your vehicle is in the lake? I would have thought that a speedy recovery would be better for all involved.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-15-2018, 09:12 PM

Lots of sketchy ice down south this year. As little as 5" on the reservoir we fished yesterday. We did not venture over the deep spots to drill any holes so maybe even less in the middle. Normally 14" to 16" by now.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 PM

Eagle at 17"
Old 01-15-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
Was at Badger yesterday and was suprised to see a truck thru the ice. Upon further investigation it seems the truck has been there a week or two. Anyone know the story behind it.
We decided to drill holes out to test the ice. We started at 18” at shore and stopped at 14”. Then we decided to start fishing. This is where things got scary. I started drilling holes and the ice thickness varyied from 14” to 6”.

I admit I haven’t fished badger in many years but I don’t ever recall the ice being this unpredictable.

Attachment 141678

There was a post where the poster said he showed up right as it happened and took the 2 guys in and gave them a ride. I'd say it was around 6 weeks ago.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Attachment 141678
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy View Post
Me and a buddy made plans to go fishing today a while ago and decided to brave the cold. Fishing was not good only managed 1 bite.

On the way to where I went fishing decided to drive by badger to see if anyone was out there, a little ways past the boat launch noticed a truck out on ice, took another look and realized the truck had broke through the ice. Thought it it must have been there awhile and then I seen 3 guys bailing out of the truck. I quickly made my way to the shore and went to see if they were alright and other than being a bit rattled they were fine. Nothing we could do to get truck as it was sinking but gave the fellas a ride. Thermometer on my truck said -36. Glad everyone was ok, could've turned out real bad in them temps. Just a reminder to be careful on ice even with these cold temps ice is not safe in the south yet. Only 8 inches on lake I was fishing at. The guys that fell through said they drilled a test hole and was 13inches so figured it was good.

Stay safe everyone!!!!!!
found it 12-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Old 01-15-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:

Attachment 141678
Which part of Badger was this at?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:42 AM

Was on Ressor yesterday. Easy 14"+ but so many layers of different ice types I don't know that I would want to drive on it. Did see one truck on, but everyone else was walking,
Old 01-17-2018, 10:08 AM

Default Ice thickness

Anybody been on Carson last few days?... Ice ok to drive a big half ton on.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Which part of Badger was this at?
S.W. Corner
Old 01-18-2018, 01:58 AM

South Buck - 23”. Did see open water (I assume from a spring) in a sparse weed bed along the shore on the south side. Probably 5 feet in diameter and 50-60 feet from the bank. Snow mobilers and quaders watch out.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 AM

Default Badger

Quote:
S.W. Corner
That is the truck that fell through on Boxing Day. Can’t believe they haven’t got it out yet. When I gave the guy a ride he talked to the rcmp and was told to get it out
Old 01-18-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Anybody been on Carson last few days?... Ice ok to drive a big half ton on.
1/2 tons have been on for weeks before the cold snaps. shouldn't be a problem. going around the point is always sketchy though for what its worth.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:04 AM

Anyone down to Beaver Mines Or Beauvais recently? Heading down there this weekend.

Thanks for any info!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 AM

For reference.

Lake Sundance is between 11-12 inches of ice. Of which 3-4 inches is frozen over flood ice.

Definitely not a big ice year. The 2 feet of snow over Christmas sure did a great job insulating the ice beneath.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy View Post
That is the truck that fell through on Boxing Day. Can’t believe they haven’t got it out yet. When I gave the guy a ride he talked to the rcmp and was told to get it out
Truck likely will be there till spring. Not enough ice to pull a truck out. Hopefully they have attached floatation. In the spring they can float it to shore...then winch it out.

They may need a dive team to secure the truck before hand. All depends upon the depth and location.

This is a video of an easy removal beside shore. Imagine out in the middle of a lake.

https://www.twincities.com/2017/01/2...-lake-channel/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Anyone down to Beaver Mines Or Beauvais recently? Heading down there this weekend.

Thanks for any info!
9 inches on Beauv and Beaver. No snow cover....bring cleats.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
9 inches on Beauv and Beaver. No snow cover....bring cleats.
Thanks CNP, much appreciated.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:03 PM

Any ice heaves on Pigeon. Might be heading there this weekend and depending on heave locations will dictate where I drive on.

Thanks in advance for replies.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainslug View Post
Any ice heaves on Pigeon. Might be heading there this weekend and depending on heave locations will dictate where I drive on.

Thanks in advance for replies.
There is a large heave south of Mulhurst boat launch maybe 1/2km that starts a couple hundred yards from shore and heads straight out to the middle of the lake. Still lots of room to drive between the heave and the shore
Old 01-27-2018, 05:04 PM

Pigeon 27” clear blue solid ice. Very clear water. Probably could see 30’ or more with u/w cam. 0 fish seen on cam.

Wizard 23” clear blue solid ice. One 5” perch. Lived to see another hook. Tip up went off 3 times but none stayed on. Water pretty mirky/dirty. So bad u/w camera couldn’t see 18”.

Also freaking cold!!!
Old 01-27-2018, 09:02 PM

Thick ice at Beaver Mines today. Good fishing in the morning.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:30 PM

Heading out to calling lake tomorrow anyone have an update on ice thickness and open spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2018, 07:17 PM

Great ice at 40 Mile today. A bit bumpy from melt/refreeze but not much snow depth from the launch to to bay. Was the only one on the lake and didn't want to venture too far out as I was driving my car today. Had a blast with a school of perch that went NUTS for a Big Sky Flies and Jigs perch bug. They hit it harder when it had no bait on the hook!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Banned

Anyone been out to Keho lake lately was wondering what the ice thickness is. Going down to Champion this weekend.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:17 PM

Default Ghost resevoir

Hit Ghost today and about 100' off the point/boat launch - 4 holes, all about 20-22" thick ice.

About 3-4 1/2 ton trucks on the ice and one guy crossing the rezevoir in a tan Jeep TJ so I drove mine out. Will update with fish report at the end of the day.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:59 PM

First day fishing Ghost resevoir. Ghost 1 - me 0

Mars has more life than Ghost.

We had 3 rods and sonar, not a single bite cycling smelt, buzz bombs, spoons, dead sticked, jigged, etc. Not even a burp on sonar. That was fishing shallow to 50 feet.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:05 PM

Anyone know what the ice thickness is like on Lac la biche? We've got half tons and will be towing up an old camper on to the ice that we gutted and put in a stove and holes in the floor.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Closed Thread