Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2017, 03:09 PM

Default Questions about Winchell Lake near Water Valley

I only recently found Winchell Lake and saw that it's stocked for fishing. Since it's close to home it looks like a perfect place to go after work for an hour or two but I have a few questions after looking for some info online.

Alberta Fishing Guide lists it under Zone ES2, only with a keep limit and no size limit mentioned for trout (except bull trout) which I want to go after
http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/zones/ES2

Alberta Regulations however doesn't show it under Zone 1 Unit ES2
http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs-pdfs-2017.html

Does anyone know why it's not in the regulations? I want to be on the safe side in regards to if there is no size limit (not interested in taking any size but also not interested in unintentional poaching). Is it a mistake, closed for fishing or missing? Couldn't find it in the other pdf either.

I went there for a bit last week to scout the area and noticed there are wooden platforms along the shore, are those the only spots you are allowed to fish from unless you use a boat or belly boat like I saw a guy using out there? I'd like to cast with spinners from the shore so was wondering if and how much of the shore you are allowed to walk and if there are any areas off limits.

Last question, I found some info about ice fishing it on here, is anyone fishing out there during the summer? Is casting lures a good idea or is there a good potential to lose them in weeds and grass under water? AFG says bait allowed so I was wondering if using some power bait with a float might be a better choice than casting.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:12 PM

Never personally fished there but any lake not specifically listed in the regs would fall under the general regulations for that zone.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 PM

Thank you!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:02 AM

Winchell is listed in the fish stocking program list of the AB regs (pg 16-17).

ES2 Regs (pg 38):

ES2 Site-Specific Regulations
The names of most lakes and major streams appear alphabetically under
“ES2 Lake and Stream Listings.” Smaller streams often are not listed, but
may be included in regulations as tributaries to lakes or larger streams.
LAKES
A. For Trout-Stocked Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds in ES2 that are
named under “Alberta’s Fish Stocking Program” (see Stocked
Lakes list in this Guide, page 16-17).
l Open all year – Trout limit 5; bait, except bait fish, allowed.
l All other game fish species limit 0
Old 05-24-2017, 12:30 PM

Could be wrong here, but I've always believed public access was from the north only and the "docks' on the south side are on private land. Very boggy all around it. MV County and some group are planning on aerating the lake to enhance fish winter survival. Somebody once told me there's a perfectly good grader sitting at the bottom of the lake. Scraping snow off the ice and fell through. Good story.

Grizz
Old 05-24-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Could be wrong here, but I've always believed public access was from the north only and the "docks' on the south side are on private land. Very boggy all around it. MV County and some group are planning on aerating the lake to enhance fish winter survival. Somebody once told me there's a perfectly good grader sitting at the bottom of the lake. Scraping snow off the ice and fell through. Good story.

Grizz
Grader story is fact .Aerating good on you for trying.Power ? Then that particular part of the gene pool that wants to roar around on atv or snow machines.Me thinks that ACA would decline for aeration..
Old 05-24-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Grader story is fact .Aerating good on you for trying.Power ? Then that particular part of the gene pool that wants to roar around on atv or snow machines.Me thinks that ACA would decline for aeration..
Yuppers the grader was owned by a local fellow and his son still lives nearby.

As for the stocking of the lake, it comes under Sundre.

My family have caught hundreds of fish there both from shore and in my float tube.....17" trout are not uncommon....BTW all the caught fish, are back swimming.

I have used power bait, marshmallows, corn, small Panther Martin, assorted flies for fly fishing.

Hazard:
Be aware of the little cannels that run from the road to the lake. They can be 3' to 4' deep and easily swallow up a small child. Normal rubber boots are the footwear of choice. You are walking on soft peat.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 05-24-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:35 PM

Thanks MTB_FlyFisher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Could be wrong here, but I've always believed public access was from the north only and the "docks' on the south side are on private land. Very boggy all around it.
Those platforms are on the north side, accessed the lake from that side via that road with the car swallowing holes.
Maybe someone just put them up to avoid getting sucked into the swamp in the shore, there were some wooden pallets off the road leading to the lake as well.

Special thanks for the grader story, always like hearing about local stories like that
Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
also may interest you & others .You are in bear country.Be Aware.Black bears & the odd Grizzly.For those that say BS.A fisherman was attacked on the dog pound creek just east of there,by a grizzly.....
Old 05-24-2017, 07:53 PM

Don't doubt it, saw a young black bear near a gravel pit along Grand Valley Road.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:00 AM
Banned

Default .

The Grader , is the man still in it
Old 05-25-2017, 09:55 AM

Default The Legend of the Lost Winchell Grader.

The grader was taken out shortly after it went through the ice, it was only about five feet deep.They were clearing the snow for a skating party.
Nice story, grows every year.

Fun to catch fish there, pretty shallow to fish from the shoreline, but they are muddy tasting.

Aeration is a go, starts this year.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:52 AM

I was there when the grader went through, I remember Burt jumping out of the cab and the grader going under just a split second after then sitting on the ice beside the hole rolling a smoke.

They never removed it by the time the divers arrived only the top of the cab was above the mud, for years there was a bleach bottle tied to it marking the spot.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL42 View Post
I was there when the grader went through, I remember Burt jumping out of the cab and the grader going under just a split second after then sitting on the ice beside the hole rolling a smoke.

They never removed it by the time the divers arrived only the top of the cab was above the mud, for years there was a bleach bottle tied to it marking the spot.
So your saying its still there ? What year was this? I remember a picture of the cab sticking out of the ice in the Mountainview paper.
Maybe there was more then one time a grader broke through ?
Old 05-27-2017, 09:46 PM

Glad to hear the aeration is a go. I did work with the Aca to get them power when they put pumps in on a lake up north and the guy mentioned winchell was next.

The pallets on the north are so you don't get sucked into bog. If it's nice in the summer I usually wear sandals as sometimes the rubbers aren't high enough to keep your feet dry anyways. Can go from solid ground to no ground pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
So your saying its still there ? What year was this? I remember a picture of the cab sticking out of the ice in the Mountainview paper.
Maybe there was more then one time a grader broke through ?
Yes the grader is still there it is completely submerged in the mud under the lake. I was young when it happened 6 or 7 maybe so I cant remember the exact year. My family owns land on the south side of the lake (has for 65 years) and it as our neighbor who arranged the ice clearing that day.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:38 AM

How is the lake for ice fishing? wouldnt mind taking my 4 year old out and this is nice and close incase he gets bored. lol