Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2015, 10:40 AM

Default Sherwood Park/henday/hwy16

Who heck is the company building this hwy/bridge and ramps...and why hasn't the province stepped in!!

What an unbelievable joke. Drove around for 30 mins trying to find a exit onto hwy 16 w from Broadmore...didn't find one and finnaly had to circle back to Sherwood drive.

No signs, no detours posted...and what a unbelievable mess.

The prime contractor must have OHS in their pocket because the mess on the shoulders of hwy 16 is shocking.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:44 AM

its a nightmare around there, especially baseline at rush hour, and they work slow as molasses....very aggravating, i live a hour out of town and it takes me longer to reach the city limits then it does to actually get home once on the hwy.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:45 AM
Banned

It's like a war zone up there. Tried to get to baseline road from Henday one day, no go. Looks like they are building a twin Henday?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:57 AM

I am close to it as well. I too have been on some detours that sent me down to the city dump early on and ended up turning around and going back to baseline and out to 14 through sh park. That is my route of choice for most of this construction.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Construction is over a year behind. Is an absolute joke. They have managed to get board moor , baseline, 21, and yellowhead screwed up at the same time. No crews working at night. They had a sewer connection to make ona proerty I managed that was suppose to take 3 weeks max. It took them 7 months. Yes 7 months on a 3 week job.

The Broadmoor overpass was suppose to close last oct. and be done by may. They did not even close and start to demo this until may.

The emergency services have STARS on allert because they know they can't get a trauma patient into the city from any exit because of the disaster.

I asked the mayor about it last year and she said it was fustrating but nothing she could do about it.

Apparently the flying J and the road king are losing a ton of money because of it and are ripping mad.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:44 PM

I was told that the contractor is paying penalties for every day they are already late.
kidd
Old 09-16-2015, 12:48 PM

Yup it's a disaster. Road closures without warning on Sundays. You never seem to know when or where it will be backed up. Best to avoid.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Default Hendy

Don't know what they did on the Henday it feels like I'm going to puke from the bumpy bumpy.or hit the roof on 50 st county Leduc crappy road
Old 09-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Ask the mayor & sohi!!!! A pair of clowns in the first degree. If it was LRT, they would be all over it like fresh manure on a blanket!!
Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 PM

Default Detour

A couple of weeks back I went out of town on Henday and then east on 16 and through that disastrous rough muddy maze, from south central edmonchuk. On the way back several days later, west on 16, I just took hwy 21 south to ...? (whatever twp it is that turns into whitemud), and back to Henday, and it was so much less aggravation and time. It IS a major c......f...!!
Old 09-16-2015, 08:23 PM

Give'em a break. It's a construction site fer chrissakes.

It's a massive, hugely complicated operation with maybe a dozen new wide-span bridges, demo of several more, with all sorts of related ancillary systems, railroads and high volume traffic going 4 directions through the middle of it 24x7. And that's just the technical part.

It would all go twice as fast if they could just shut off the whole area, do the demolition, then systematically greenfield all the roads, bridges, electrical, drainage, etc. But ohh, no. People would be screaming bloody murder if they had to detour around it all for 2 years.

Imagine trying to do bathroom renovation plumbing, electrical, structural and painting in a house with 10 people living in it, each with separate title to part of the house, taking showers all day long.

The Sherwood Drive interchange has been mostly done for a while now, Broadmoor traffic can just jog over to detour around it at the Ford dealership to access both east and west-bound Hwy 16.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned

Have to say guys that I have been driving that stretch regularily for about 5 yrs. now. It really is complicated and enormous job, and traffic has been screwed up beyond belief, but hopefully it won't be to much longer. Doesn't help that you can't get out of town on 17 or 34st either.
My biggest complaint is how the RCMP and Sherriffs take advantage of all the confusing speed zones. Talk about a gold mine for them.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post

It's a massive, hugely complicated operation with maybe a dozen new wide-span bridges, demo of several more, with all sorts of related ancillary systems, railroads and high volume traffic going 4 directions through the middle of it 24x7. And that's just the technical part.

It would all go twice as fast if they could just shut off the whole area, do the demolition, then systematically greenfield all the roads, bridges, electrical, drainage, etc. But ohh, no. People would be screaming bloody murder if they had to detour around it all for 2 years.

Imagine trying to do bathroom renovation plumbing, electrical, structural and painting in a house with 10 people living in it, each with separate title to part of the house, taking showers all day long.

The Sherwood Drive interchange has been mostly done for a while now, Broadmoor traffic can just jog over to detour around it at the Ford dealership to access both east and west-bound Hwy 16.
It is a construction project that is well over year behind with no sense of direction. I spoke with a Forman from Dragos who says the project is wrought with infighting between the JV groups. We have every right to question what an epic disaster this has become.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:10 PM

I love watching the global news chopper showing all the traffic backups in Edmonton/henday roads now.

Gotta love working out of town. Suckers.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:07 PM

Actually diamondk I am pretty sure the project is on track.

We were told the fall of 2016 and I can see it being done by then.

I don't like not knowing about the freeway being closed either and many days it's down to one lane.

I avoid rush hour when at all possible in this area.

Not sure what happened on the yellow head in the city but two trips in a row I hit every green light and made it to the west end in about 25 minutes. Off peak hours.

I'm anxious to see how the trip is when this leg of the Henday is done.

My guess is with the great weather we had this year that more work got pushed through than they thought would be done.

This is going to be good.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:19 PM

Why does it take 5+ years to build the over pass at ft road and henday but they can build an arena in how long?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:21 PM

Yup this is the Joke of the construction world for sure.

Poor signs, No signs, terrible temporary roads that are designed like it was corky's first day at work.

and ....... they decided to tear every square foot of roadway for 20 miles in the first week and then leave it for the next 4 years.

The worst part is 9/10 times you drive by and NOBODY is anywhere to be found for miles. No equipment moving, no workers to be found, nothing.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post

Sorry Arty disagree ...... you got nothing. Nothing.

There are numerous projects much more complicated and much larger that aren't a fraction of ridiculous as this circus act. These guys are incompetent on a world class level. I might go as far as to suggest they have fraudulently misrepresented themselves as a competent construction company.

These guys are either criminals or they are incompetent at a level never seen before.

These guys would wish to aspire to become adequate and mediocre one day.

If they were on fire and I would not pee on them to put them out. I would get marshmallows and make smores. They are likely ISIS supporters. There could be no other explanation.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:35 PM

I love the sign that says "GPS won't help you?" I am not sure the idiot who wrote it had a good laugh. It's actually ok if you drive it every day. But if you do not drive regularly, good gosh, you will take to the bottle.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

There are numerous projects much more complicated and much larger that aren't a fraction of ridiculous as this circus act. These guys are incompetent on a world class level. I might go as far as to suggest they have fraudulently misrepresented themselves as a competent construction company.

These guys are either criminals or they are incompetent at a level never seen before.

If they were on fire and I would not pee on them to put them out. I would get marshmallows and make smores. They are likely ISIS supporters. There could be no other explanation.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Actually diamondk I am pretty sure the project is on track.

We were told the fall of 2016 and I can see it being done by then.

I don't like not knowing about the freeway being closed either and many days it's down to one lane.

I avoid rush hour when at all possible in this area.

Not sure what happened on the yellow head in the city but two trips in a row I hit every green light and made it to the west end in about 25 minutes. Off peak hours.

I'm anxious to see how the trip is when this leg of the Henday is done.

My guess is with the great weather we had this year that more work got pushed through than they thought would be done.

This is going to be good.
Yup ! Oct / Nov 2016
I'm sure there will be some final landscaping to be done the following summer though. I wonder if the N. Sask brige will open this year? Looks like it's complete or pretty close to it. Maybe in the spring. Gonna be quite the interchange at the yellowhead.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:40 AM
Banned

Everything you ever wanted to know about this wonderful project is here:

http://www.northeastanthonyhenday.com/
Old 09-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:

"Using the P3 process, the road will be finished three years earlier than through conventional delivery."

Interesting statement, I often wonder how they perform the estimations that support these ridiculous conclusions.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:

So are you bitter that you never got the contract?
Old 09-17-2015, 10:01 AM

The turnoff the Henday East to Lloyd goes through a ditch the detours change every week. That is horrible mess I started turning off at Ardrossan then over to HWY 21 to get to the Leduc airport every week.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Banned

Like I mentioned, been watching this since it began, and am amassed at the scope of this part of the project. Your connecting the city that has 2 bridges, you have sherwood pk and it's exits on 2 sides, refinery row with it's connecting roadways, and a brand new bridge over the NSR completing the ring road. There also has to be about at least 1/2 a dozen new overpasses being built. And don't forget those huge new electrical towers that were being built at the same time with helicopters. All this and still keeping very heavy high traffic area moving (even if at a snails pace).
I have been very lucky that I only have to drive it at off peak hours, and at this point can pick which way to leave the city of the 2 choices. In the last month or 2 it has gotten much better traffic wise.
This phase of the Henday is much more complicated then any other, and that includes anything on Stoney in Calgary. Complaign all you want, (no ones listening anyways) but it's going to be great once it's finished.
And no I don't work for anyone involved in the construction of this project. Just nice to see some tax money spent on something that will actually be usefull, even if they are behind and overbudget.
Just look at the absolute chaos and wasted money trying to upgrade ONE bridge in Edmonton, or lay a few miles of LRT track. Now thats incompetance.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
I love watching the global news chopper showing all the traffic backups in Edmonton/henday roads now.

Gotta love working out of town. Suckers.
Yea, who's "taking care"of your wife while you're out of town?!: idjit

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 09-17-2015, 12:24 PM

Wasn't the sherwwod drive overpass completed a year ahead of schedule?
I feel for the folks that have to navigate that zoo everyday, but as the old adage goes no pain no gain.
With eveything mentioned in the above post about what has being gping on at once, one more thing to add... the new CN bridge that was built.
All things considered i think they are doing an okay job juggling so many parties and projects.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:39 PM

It's just too bad that the first half of the Hendey is allready under engineered. Lots of places that should have been 3 maybe 4 lanes. Espeacialy the area on the south side that you have 6 or 7 ramps merging on in about 1 km and it's only 2 lanes ! Who was the idiot that designed that part ?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:51 PM

Look at all the money that's being invested in making your commute better in the future, keep the overall picture in mind that once its done it will be a huge improvement. All these negative comments from people who are just driving by, are you in the bridge building business, only comments about schedule , what about quality. Bridges in other provinces have fallen down and people were killed. Comments about over budget and I have no knowledge of this project but do know that P3 is a fixed price, if the contractor takes too long it is at his cost not the taxpayer.