Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2015, 10:01 AM

Default Infill Edmonton

Edmonton is trying to push through plans to allow for splitting of larger lots to increase density in mature neighborhoods. I like the idea of increased density around the core but have a hard time understanding how increasing density in some of the more outlying neighborhoods is an improvement. I want to live in city but would like to live in a neighborhood with bigger lots and less congestion. Any other Edmontonians with an opinion? Anyone following this?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 AM

Low density is lovely if you like that, but it's inefficient for roads, transit, utility services, etc. That said, I don't think they should be changing any zoning if a significant number of current residents don't want it. They bought based on the rules at the time.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:24 AM

The bottom line is, for many of the 30 somethings, young dual income no kids, who work high end jobs downtown, this is the type of property they might be looking for.

Infills allow little or no yard work, yet give you a "house" feel.

If there is a market for it ... great.

It's not for me - but I can see the value of it. I'm not sure what it would do to surrounding areas but the property value of having high end in-fills can't hurt.

I've done (invested, reno, built) a few homes around Glenora, Crestwood, Parkview, Laurier and can say, this is the style of neighborhood I like to live in. Old, mature, tree lined streets of well kept, higher end homes. This also happens to be adjacent to some of the areas where in-fills would make sense. They would also end up at the higher price point compared to a typical suburban duplex or town-home.

There are already a number of them going up in Glenora and North Glenora. I think it makes sense. It certainly doesn't hurt property value if the neighborhood is good.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:34 AM

The road systems won't handle more traffic in these areas though. limited parking and such. If a pc of property is cut down by 50% with more of a building on it then people will be parking more on the street instead of a large driveway. What happens when the snowfall is heavy in the winter? Kaos comes to mind. More cars on the street and no yard for kids to play = kids playing between cars and on the street.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Banned

There is actually a mandated by the Capital regional board for municipalities to have higher densities.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Low density is lovely if you like that, but it's inefficient for roads, transit, utility services, etc. That said, I don't think they should be changing any zoning if a significant number of current residents don't want it. They bought based on the rules at the time.
We just went through this. The bottom line is the city of Edmonchuk does not give a crap about what residents want. Our area backed onto a giant piece of land zoned agricultural which was slated for single family housing 30 years ago. They finally sold the land and it was promptly grabbed up by a developer and rezoned to allow condos and high density residential (twice the number of lots/services that were originally called for. All the neighbors tried to battle silly hall and it didn't make one lick of difference.
At the end of the day look up who all contributed to the city councillors campaigns and you'll not find one who didn't accept money from developer.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:10 AM

I call those areas the corn maze. Crazy how many homes are jammed together. Not for me but whatever floats your boat.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
More cars on the street and no yard for kids to play = kids playing between cars and on the street.
This shouldn't be a problem...kids don't play outside anymore anyway.

Infill has been a huge agenda for this mayor, maybe even before that.
It makes sense for the infrastructure rather than massive urban sprawl (which seems to be happening anyway).
Likely both will continue...sprawl and infill...we're not running out of people.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:35 AM

The frustrating part of this whole process is our councilman does not listen to and align with the communities he represents. There has been strong opposition however he will not align with the overall community desire. Here I thought a councilman was there to represent the people in his ward.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:46 AM

I think they want to look like they are promoting higher density, but really, a lot of the older neighborhoods need significant infrastructure upgrades and there isn't enough tax revenue coming from those neighborhoods to justify it. So the solution is easy; allowing more homes will create more taxes. Its a long term revenue generation strategy.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:58 AM

I had the pleasure of working with a lady who is an original owner of a home in McQueen (right next to north glenora). A gentle old lady who is involved in an enormous development battle on her street. One fellow has been buying up lots and turning them into high end very contemporary infills. They dont fit the look of the neighborhood and offer nothing but traffic and congestion in her opinion. The developer had enough of her compaining so when he bought the lot to her west he purposfully built a 2 1/2 story obnoxiously ugly infill to **** her off and move.
Little old blue hair has only dug in her heels and has been chasing him down for permissions and permits. The last I heard the new home was complete and sold, but the city is reviewing the process of the permit applications. Good for her to not roll over, and getting her alderman involved and listening.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zims23 View Post
The frustrating part of this whole process is our councilman does not listen to and align with the communities he represents. There has been strong opposition however he will not align with the overall community desire. Here I thought a councilman was there to represent the people in his ward.
It's not Loken is it? He was the most disrespectful, arrogant, condescending member anyone dealt with.
Save yourself the headache and accept that there's no changing their minds. (unless you have deep pockets maybe).
Old 03-20-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
I had the pleasure of working with a lady who is an original owner of a home in McQueen (right next to north glenora). A gentle old lady who is involved in an enormous development battle on her street. One fellow has been buying up lots and turning them into high end very contemporary infills. They dont fit the look of the neighborhood and offer nothing but traffic and congestion in her opinion. The developer had enough of her compaining so when he bought the lot to her west he purposfully built a 2 1/2 story obnoxiously ugly infill to **** her off and move.
Little old blue hair has only dug in her heels and has been chasing him down for permissions and permits. The last I heard the new home was complete and sold, but the city is reviewing the process of the permit applications. Good for her to not roll over, and getting her alderman involved and listening.

Though the little old lady's heirs will thank the developer, because hose multi-million dollar infills will drive up the value of the neighbourhood houses.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Though the little old lady's heirs will thank the developer, because hose multi-million dollar infills will drive up the value of the neighbourhood houses.
And she'll probably die sooner from all the stress. cha-ching
Old 03-25-2015, 09:31 AM

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Matur...366/story.html

not exactly splitting lots, but further evidence of trying to increase tax revenue in older neighborhoods.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 AM

Default new website

Hey,
I found a new website for Edmontonians to post stories and comments regarding Edmonton Infill and Lot Subdivision. This is really having a negative impact on some communities in Edmonton.

Check it out, join the forum and add some projects or concerns you know about.
http://edmontonlotsubdivision.com/
Old 09-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Banned

It's a tough one. I live in an older mature neighbourhood and it has been painful when a house comes up for sale, on a not very large lot to begin with and a two story duplex or triplex is shoehorned in. It totally destroys the flavor of the neighborhood plus adds all the extra traffic on the street because of the extra cars (these multifamily homes seldom have enough room left for any kind of a garage) on the street.
On the other hand we are constantly dealing with failing infrastructure. Our street has been in serious need of repaving for five years now...but they just come in two or three times a year and fill in the potholes. And don't get me going on the alley.
And the main reason for this is because of the 'burbs'...where there are only 4-6 homes on a city block (so very low density) but the city has to pay for all the amenities, from roads to schools so these people can have their little 'acerage' in the city.