Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
My guess is alot once the IRS drops the hammer.
It's taxable like any other investment in the US if you withdraw, you can sell stock with Etrade and the onus is still on the individual to do their due diligence with tax filling. Anyone that knows what they are doing investing in crypto isn't concerned about moving their bitcoin into USD or any other depreciating fiat, that's the whole point.

The IRS getting involved is all the more reason people will keep their money in BTC or other crypto's.

Rather than fight crypto you will see more and more countries incorporate it into their own currency, mark my words.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hunter View Post
Does anyone know what is USA government stand on Bitcoin?
Are they ready to get rid of it's own US dollar? Are they ready to accept that barrel of oil is 50 BC , not $50 us ?
If answers are NO , I would run away from BC
Just my 2 cents
Why would they need to stand anywhere when they can just wait on the sidelines and see how things pan out.
Then devise their own cryptocurrency and crush the market.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:11 PM

Arrow Barnum said it best . . .

Don't be a Bitsucker!

Selkirk
Old 12-27-2017, 03:26 AM

Guys that hold bitcoin from 2-4 months ago, and are still holding, are laughing.
Those who bought in Dec not so much.
It’s value is strictly based on people’s confidence in it, like no other commodity, so silly it genius.
Just don’t be the last guy out holding the pot.

TBark
Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 AM
Banned

Has the slow death of Bitcoin began?

Charts aren't looking too favourable going forward...

https://charts.bitcoin.com/chart/price
Old 01-17-2018, 08:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Has the slow death of Bitcoin began?

Charts aren't looking too favourable going forward...

https://charts.bitcoin.com/chart/price
I don't think slow is the right word.

But if it collapses I believe it will set off a chain reaction.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 AM

There is a reason bitcoin plummeted 50% so far.

https://www.bitstamp.net/

interesting watching trading. Small little quantities. Curious what the daily trade volume is.

Anyways.

No backing of bit coin via underpinned assets or country. No accountability for bitcoin by anyone.

Talk about gambling your money away.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-17-2018, 08:49 AM

Meh, I did good with it. I missed the peak but still pulled out at a good time. Some of them went up over 900%. We may never see anything like that again in our lifetimes. It was worth the disposable income I threw at it.
No sense celebrating people losing huge money. They took a chance on hype and speculation which is not smart at all, but I don't see the point of rubbing it in. Some of the cryptos actually have a small place in society. Wire transfer of funds has been forever changed IMO. But there wasn't a true value for the hype and that's why I pulled early, even when it was painful to do so. The writing was on the wall...
Old 01-17-2018, 09:46 AM

I find it ironic that the current severe drop in value is possibly tied to Government meddling in Asia. There was talk about the Governments stepping in and closing exchanges and regulating the currencies which has caused a panic sell off by spooked investors (gamblers) specifically in South Korea and China.

I only dabble in it but there are still many big players who I feel will still make a lot of money buying it up cheaply while the small fish are in a frenzy.

Time will tell I guess. In the last 20 minutes I've watched Ether go from 950 Canadian to 1100.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:39 AM

There is no way crypto in its current form is going to become currency. It's subject to far far too much fluctuation. How the hell would one price things day to day. Sell for X today and currency is all of a sudden worth 30% less tomorrow when rent is due. There is a reason generally accepted currencies are what they are. Sure they are manipulated to some extent but they offer some stability at least. And its not like crypto's aren't being manipulated by whales. Big money always wins.

And cypto's do not = blockchain. They have no patent on blockchain tech so to link them in any way to the inherent benefit of blockchain is stupid. Any company can develop its own tech and dilute the market. What we have is another dot com rush. Everyone knows blockchain is likely to go somewhere somehow but in their hysteria they are bidding up everything blockchain as though its ALL going to go to the moon when in fact like the dot coms only a select few will succeed and the rest will go to zero. Good luck on the speculating. For a repeat of this...see weed stocks. Hmmm didn't dot coms get bid up to astronomic levels even though they showed no profit. How'd that turn out LOL. Nothing wrong with speculating just understand the big risk. People taking out massive loans or using much needed retirement funds to buy in are just stupid.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Nothing wrong with speculating just understand the big risk. People taking out massive loans or using much needed retirement funds to buy in are just stupid.
Truer words have never been spoken.... I read about that family that sold their worldly possessions including their house and invested everything into mining bitcoin. They were on the news. I would think he'd be in hot water today with his wife....
Old 01-17-2018, 01:05 PM

Being an oldie, understanding Bitcoin is a challenge. For me, it sounds like nothing more than buying/selling stock. What’s new other than it seems unregulated?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Being an oldie, understanding Bitcoin is a challenge. For me, it sounds like nothing more than buying/selling stock. What’s new other than it seems unregulated?
Not true

When you own stock, you legally own part of a company.

When you own Bitcoin, you legally own part of Nothing.

0 + 0 = Bitcoin
Old 01-17-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
The difference is that Bitcoin has very little value. Other than expediting funds transfers world wide, it has little to no benefit. Some argue the security of it also has value, however the exchanges these things are traded on are all new and very sketchy to deal with when withdrawing or providing funds. Buying stock in a tangible company, although there are similarities, is quite different.
The crytpo "Ripple" should have absolutely shot thru the roof the other day when Moneygram chose to partner with them. It did go up and then shot right back down. The "values" are based on wild speculation from people who really don't have a clue- including myself. I got in early, made some decent money and hit the road. People are losing confidence in foreign governments that this technology will be allowed to operate. Hence the massive sell off. Some will survive and thrive. Most will crash out. Just my $.02
Old 01-17-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
Not true

0 + 0 = Bitcoin
That is true in a sense but you gotta watch what stock you buy. When many people think stock they aren't thinking bluechips. They are thinking about speculative stocks like gold companies that haven't proven themselves but buddy said "ya can't lose" and they might just go to the moon. If a company is heavily in debt like most startups all the primary debt holders come before the shareholders. If the company goes under shareholders generally get the shaft just as bad as the crypto guys are likely to.

That's why bluechips stocks are what they are but get little attention. No huge returns. Nobody getting rich overnight. But steady gains on solid financials with reasonable debt by selling necessary things like cars and oil and TP and razors and food. Key is to build up enough in the portfolio so those boring 5-10% gains + dividends add up to decent $ return/yr. Boring compared to BTC and gold mines and no instant riches...but I'm happy.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 PM

I'm in the category of those who believe Bitcoin will continue to grow in value and purpose. Contrary to that, I'm certain that USD and CAD will not grow in value or purpose. The fictions of massive Government debt, money printing and it's resulting inflation will see to that without question. Bitcoin is a decentralized and reasonably secure hedge or exit from the growing troubles of the global financial system.

A modest holding of Bitcoin is a responsible speculative investment. Gold and other precious metals are also a responsible hedge on the current currency climate (accidental alliteration!). The world's economy is digital and short of a global catastrophe of biblical proportions it ain't going backwards to trade in precious metals for everyday transactions. The future of finance and currency is crypto, whether it's state issued or decentralized or more likely both is to be determined.

We can revisit this post in 5 years and see what do.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
That is true in a sense but you gotta watch what stock you buy. When many people think stock they aren't thinking bluechips. They are thinking about speculative stocks like gold companies that haven't proven themselves but buddy said "ya can't lose" and they might just go to the moon. If a company is heavily in debt like most startups all the primary debt holders come before the shareholders. If the company goes under shareholders generally get the shaft just as bad as the crypto guys are likely to.

That's why bluechips stocks are what they are but get little attention. No huge returns. Nobody getting rich overnight. But steady gains on solid financials with reasonable debt by selling necessary things like cars and oil and TP and razors and food. Key is to build up enough in the portfolio so those boring 5-10% gains + dividends add up to decent $ return/yr. Boring compared to BTC and gold mines and no instant riches...but I'm happy.
I'm with you, conservative blue chip dividend paying stocks are boring, and I sleep good at night.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-18-2018, 08:41 AM

Ether is 1400 this morning, up from under 1000 yesterday.

Money to be made indeed.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 AM

I think it was around 2013. One of the guys I worked with was trying to explain what this bit coin was and how much money would be made off of it.
After explaining it to me I came to the conclusion it was a bad idea, not worth investing in.

I kind of forgot about it until lately. I looked at a chart of the long term activity.
Wish I wouldn't have looked at that chart.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Not true

0 + 0 = Bitcoin
Old 01-18-2018, 10:57 AM

Bitcoin is useless. to send 100$ worth of bitcoin currently costs nearly 30$.

XRP, the new standard. can send millions at the price of half a XRP coin. that coin gets burned. so it is a deflationary currency.

its already being tested by major banks, amex, etc.

Basically it is used for settlement instead of SWIFT and wire transfers etc. banks are saving over 60% on transfers sending XRP via Xrapid. or by sending regular old money with Xcurrent. There is trillions wired around the world DAILY. the greedy banks will eventually use XRP, or something like it. to save a **** ton of money.

get it on the annual january dip. which is about now.

i bought in at 2 cents, sold at 3.43$. put it all back into XRP when it was 81 cents two days ago. back up to a 1.50$.

im doing ok, jsut hold onto it and dont panic sell for a loss and youll make money. unless the whole cryptocurrency space dies. but with over 6000 different currencies. i doubt that will happen.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post

XRP, the new standard. can send millions at the price of half a XRP coin. that coin gets burned. so it is a deflationary currency.

Basically it is used for settlement instead of SWIFT and wire transfers etc. banks are saving over 60% on transfers sending XRP via Xrapid. or by sending regular old money with Xcurrent. There is trillions wired around the world DAILY. the greedy banks will eventually use XRP, or something like it. to save a **** ton of money.

i bought in at 2 cents, sold at 3.43$. put it all back into XRP when it was 81 cents two days ago. back up to a 1.50$.

im doing ok, jsut hold onto it and dont panic sell for a loss and youll make money. unless the whole cryptocurrency space dies. but with over 6000 different currencies. i doubt that will happen.
Interesting Gary, I am looking into that. I am hoping it corrects and falls a bit then I will go in for $1000 or so, good plan?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Interesting Gary, I am looking into that. I am hoping it corrects and falls a bit then I will go in for $1000 or so, good plan?
No risk...just buy low and sell high. Works every time.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
No risk...just buy low and sell high. Works every time.
haha

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post

XRP is one asset I've avoided entirely and have zero regret about it. It's centralized and pre-mined with Ripple banking an extremely large portion of the 100 billion tokens issued. Not saying there isn't money to be made on it, but it's antithetical to what I see as the virtues of crypto. Maybe I'm too ideological about it, but I'm not interested in it.

I also have to reject your statement about Bitcoin, XRP is most certainly not "the new standard". In fact, I wouldn't even call it comparable to Bitcoin or any other decentralized crypto asset. You're also making an inappropriate blanket statement about Bitcoin's current fee related challenges.

The reason fees are high is because Bitcoin has the largest network of users. Although Ether is now breaching similar challenges. I can still dictate how much fee I'm willing to pay to have my transaction mined into the block-chain. It just may sit for hours as miners have minimal incentive to include it in the next block. This is an efficacy and scaling challenge that every decentralized digital crypto asset is going to face. The potential solution is already upon us with Segregated Witness Bitcoin Improvement Protocol and off chain transactions using the Lightning Network. As Bitcoin is a decentralized, permission-less, protocol that requires consensus to change it, it is strongly subject to Adam Smith's invisible hand.

Comparatively XRP can be manipulated and shielded from supply and demand due to it's centralized pre-mined protocol. It's hardly a feat of wonder that their asset has minimal fees, but I now have to concede my trust to Ripple, which I refuse to do.

Bitcoin and other decentralized permission-less crypto assets have the potential to be so much more than some get rich quick scheme. They can separate finance and state which is as significant as Thomas Jefferson's separation or church and state for society, if we embrace it.

Anyway I probably went on too much of a tangent there, but I feel your statements are unfairly misleading others.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
XRP is one asset I've avoided entirely and have zero regret about it. It's centralized and pre-mined with Ripple banking an extremely large portion of the 100 billion tokens issued. Not saying there isn't money to be made on it, but it's antithetical to what I see as the virtues of crypto. Maybe I'm too ideological about it, but I'm not interested in it.

I also have to reject your statement about Bitcoin, XRP is most certainly not "the new standard". In fact, I wouldn't even call it comparable to Bitcoin or any other decentralized crypto asset. You're also making an inappropriate blanket statement about Bitcoin's current fee related challenges.

The reason fees are high is because Bitcoin has the largest network of users. Although Ether is now breaching similar challenges. I can still dictate how much fee I'm willing to pay to have my transaction mined into the block-chain. It just may sit for hours as miners have minimal incentive to include it in the next block. This is an efficacy and scaling challenge that every decentralized digital crypto asset is going to face. The potential solution is already upon us with Segregated Witness Bitcoin Improvement Protocol and off chain transactions using the Lightning Network. As Bitcoin is a decentralized, permission-less, protocol that requires consensus to change it, it is strongly subject to Adam Smith's invisible hand.

Comparatively XRP can be manipulated and shielded from supply and demand due to it's centralized pre-mined protocol. It's hardly a feat of wonder that their asset has minimal fees, but I now have to concede my trust to Ripple, which I refuse to do.

Bitcoin and other decentralized permission-less crypto assets have the potential to be so much more than some get rich quick scheme. They can separate finance and state which is as significant as Thomas Jefferson's separation or church and state for society, if we embrace it.

Anyway I probably went on too much of a tangent there, but I feel your statements are unfairly misleading others.
Bitcoin is hardly decentralized. in principal it is. but the Chinese miners control over 70% of the network. EVERY ripple wallet holder controls an equal amount of the net work. kind of. if the Chinese decide to band together tomorrow. the network of bitcoin is done.

thats the beauty of it. it is anti crypto.
this whole decentralized currency nonsense is what gives XRP its value.
banks will use something "centralized" that they can control. like XRP

Ripple was not premined. the coins were created. there is 55 billion XRP in escrow, is this what you are reffering to? they are locked up. they are allowed to release a certain amount monthly. and this is only able to sell to financial institutions (at a discount vs market) for using the Xrapid protocol. they cannot manipulate the market. there are large "whales" that can. but not ripple itself. same as bitcoin. there is a public ledger for ripple. showing all wallet addresses and who owns what. any market manipulation is instantly seen. because they are working with actual banks. not just computer jockeys. they need to abide by regulations. so they CANNOT do this.
other coins can "pump and dump" look at the forks of bitcoin. diamond, cash, unobtanium, etc. diamond literally jsut forked. was worth 90 bucks. and now its 30 less than 2 months later.
there are people holding literally billions of dollars in bitcoin. under 1000 ppl control 45% of bitcoin. nearly 100 billion bucks.

also, your scaling issues dont exist with XRP. they can already make over 1500 transactions per second. the market they are going after transfers trillions of dollars a day. if all banks globally converted tomorrow they could handle it.

sitting for a few hours waiting for money to send is archaic in the crypto space. XRP can do it in under a second. send 1$-1 trilliong and for the same flat fee. currently 10 drops, or 0.00001 XRP or FIFTEN MILLIONS OF A CENT. if it need multiple signatures or approvals this can climb. and when the network is at its maximum. it will be .5XRP. keep in mind, thats 1500 transactions a second.

also heading on tangents and rambling!
and im sure spelling and punctuation is also brutal.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 PM

That's also just not true, Chinese miners do not control 70% of the hash. A large number of miners are located in Asia, but these a mining pools made up of contributing machines from all over the world. These machines can be moved between mining pools at the will of the owner. Interestingly the hash rate of a mining pool is also a product of a free market system where miners are attracted or separated from each pool by the profits shared and the frequency of successful blocks mined. To imply that these loosely connected mining pools are all united under the Peoples Republic of China banner and are corrupting the network is just bogus. More so you're not even considering the need to also corrupt the full nodes broadcasting the block-chain and that fact that even if they achieved this they would have to keep ahead of the honest actors in the network. A successful 51% attack is extremely unlikely as the network continues to grow and could be corrected through a consensus fork even if it did.

Pre-mined, created, materialized whichever term is preferred. Yes, the 55 billion is what I'm referencing. They control the protocol and the block-chain, their recently implemented escrow is a fiction to ward off criticism of their retention of over half the available tokens. The reasons you feel the company is trustworthy and valuable are all fair positions, but all require you to trust them.

The forks are a representation of the permission-less nature of bitcoin. Most aren't even recognized by the majority, but some have merit in their principle. Bitcoin cash reflects a desire to increase the block size to address scaling. I'm still waiting for it to play out to see what solutions actually result in the best effect.

1000 people owning 40% of Bitcoin is pure speculation, but I've no doubt there are whales involved who can manipulate the price by increasing supply, shorting etc. The early adopter whales are in just about every crypto asset. In time the limited 21 million (more like 15 to 18 due to early attrition) will become more and more fractional and these events will be less frequent or viable.

I dunno man, I can't see the future and I don't doubt some fiat will be made on XRP, but it doesn't fit my long term view. Based on your earlier comment you plan to sell high and buy low with XRP which I think can sum up the general attitude toward that outfit. I plan to hold bitcoin indefinitely and I think you'll find a lot more folks with my outlook investing in bitcoin.

Anyway, as I said earlier we'll have check back in a few years and see where the chips actually landed. I could be wrong, but clearly I'm betting that I'm not.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:03 PM

I just want to make enough off crypto to buy a boiler for my shop.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Not true

0 + 0 = Bitcoin
Laughing! How true!

-Billy Molls
Old 01-18-2018, 09:27 PM

We were talking at work one day years ago and one of the older guys told me the easiest and safest way to double your money was to fold it up and put it back in your wallet!
Cat