Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 PM

Default Airbnb Hosting

Do any of you host with Airbnb or similar? I am interested in starting to rent one of my houses on their to try. I would greatly appreciate talking with any hosts in the Calgary area. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 01-16-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post
Do any of you host with Airbnb or similar? I am interested in starting to rent one of my houses on their to try. I would greatly appreciate talking with any hosts in the Calgary area. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Ryan
I rent out a house I have in Masset QCI using airbnb. I've been quite happy with the whole process. It's very easy to work through their website to get it set up and the payment arrives directly to your bank account. As we don't live there full time I have a trust worthy neighbor hand over keys, clean and basically be a contact person. I pay him a percentage.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:50 PM

I don't host but utilize them when I can. You need to meet and greet, or as the previous poster suggests, someone you can depend on. Make sure your listing declares that you pay once committed. Frustrating turning inquiries away because it's booked, then no show. Your the maid.

I always use bnb when going into Montreal. Old town ambience. With that being said, unless your location is unique, Calgary is a quiet market.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:14 AM

How does it work for things like insurance and a damage deposit?
Does AirBnB cover you for any damage or is it all entirely at your own risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I rent out a house I have in Masset QCI using airbnb. I've been quite happy with the whole process. It's very easy to work through their website to get it set up and the payment arrives directly to your bank account. As we don't live there full time I have a trust worthy neighbor hand over keys, clean and basically be a contact person. I pay him a percentage.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:31 AM

They gave 1 million of insurance through air bnb but my house insurance told me that if I go down that road of using the house for airbnb then it would be defined as a commercial operation, and TD cannot insure commercial.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post
They gave 1 million of insurance through air bnb but my house insurance told me that if I go down that road of using the house for airbnb then it would be defined as a commercial operation, and TD cannot insure commercial.
The insurance I have on my QCI property allows occasional rentals. You can request any amount of damage deposit you want through airbnb.