Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 12:59 PM

Default Tinfoil Hat Time - The pros and cons of Nexus card

Hey guys

I've filled out all the Nexus applications for me and my family but I haven't submitted them yet. We fly around enough that I was sick of waiting in lines and missing connections while I watch people with Nexus cards just breeze on through.

But I just cant get over giving up all my personal info, fingerprints, retinal scan and photos of my passport to anyone, let alone the Govt... (is Nexus even Govt affiliated?) I know what most are going to say...."well if you don't plan on breaking the law then who cares what they have on you"........or possibly "If THEY wanted to get you, they already have enough info to get you so giving them all you personal info wouldn't matter anyway."

Both of these statements are probably true, but I just cant make the final step to committing to give all of this info up.

Also, on a side note, I tried to fill out the applications online but there was a major glitch that would fill in other parts of the document with the info I was inputting somewhere else and it was causing an error (ie inputting my address and the credit card field was also being replaced with my address) Shouldn't this company that deals with high-security have an online form that works?

Anyways, any thoughts would be appreciated....anyone hear of any horror stories from Nexus card holders? Any scams I should be aware of?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:21 PM

Only time I've ever seen a nexus card (I don't travel a lot tho) the guy was slumming it in the same line as the rest of us. He was not happy.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 PM

Default nexus card

My wife made me get one because she had one
it was a major p.i.t.a.to get it but I am glad I did
on just three trips I can think of it saved us over 5 hours of standing in line
it makes return trips a hell of a lot faster coming back to Canada as well.
which site were you on. the g.o.e.s.?
I have noticed there is more than one site that comes up
mine cost about $85.00 if I remember right.

any other questions just ask

Orv.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:39 PM

The Gov't already has ALL that information (well every but retinal scan which I'm pretty sure they could get anyways from optomitrists).

I have my Nexus card (as well for my family) Nothing beats skipping the 1 hour wait, especially with kids.

My one complaint is that they kind of assume you know what to do, as in, there usually isn't someone to help at the nexus booths. But just follow the instructions and your good. Although if the booth gives you issues, you get priority with the customs agents.

Oh yeah, and under 16yo family members get it free.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:57 PM

Be ultra fanatically honest. Never try to sneak in over limit purchases etc.

Get caught once and you’re doomed.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-16-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Be ultra fanatically honest. Never try to sneak in over limit purchases etc.

Get caught once and you’re doomed.
This.

We're always honest on our declarations, and half the time the guy just waves us through anyhow. You can never be too honest.

Love it when we land with three or four other international flights and there's only a dozen people waiting at the retina scanners when there are 500+ people in line to get through regular customs.

Best part for me is getting to the front of the security line. I get a lot of dirty looks, but my time was worth the six month approval process.

The only downside is lots more people are getting onto the nexus thing, but don't fly very often. They get confused and aren't ready to go at security and end up wasting the time of frequent flyers that are used to the process.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:07 PM

I've (wife and Daughter included) have had nexus cards for several years and never a problem. I love not standing in line. We travel frequently and its worth it to us.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
This.

We're always honest on our declarations, and half the time the guy just waves us through anyhow. You can never be too honest.

Love it when we land with three or four other international flights and there's only a dozen people waiting at the retina scanners when there are 500+ people in line to get through regular customs.

Best part for me is getting to the front of the security line. I get a lot of dirty looks, but my time was worth the six month approval process.

The only downside is lots more people are getting onto the nexus thing, but don't fly very often. They get confused and aren't ready to go at security and end up wasting the time of frequent flyers that are used to the process.
I agree...If you're going to use the nexus line pay attention and don't hold up the rest of us.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:24 PM

What is the cost to get a nexus card?

on the government website it says $50.00 application fee for 18+
Other websites show the $50.00 and 129.00 fee for IVT?

looks like 1 card is good for 5 years
Old 01-16-2018, 03:31 PM

YOU are not a Terrorist,

YOU are not on a Watch List,

YOU are not a member of a Criminal Organization.

I know what you are thinking, you don't need my NEXUS CARD to know that!!!

But the problem is, unless you are pre screened and approved, other governments don't know that.

if you can turn back time, and stop 9/11, the world would be a much safer, happier place today....

But you Can't. So welcome to our World.

Drewski
Old 01-16-2018, 03:38 PM

I have had one for years. Nothing beats using the nexus security line at the airport with a couple of people, while the other line is jam packed.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:09 PM

Recommending NEXUS makes as much sense as volunteering the location of your best fishing spot.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:12 PM

Default Nexus

I got one after standing in line at security for over an hour and missing my plane. Its great never having to wait now, but beware - I have encountered a closed Nexus line. That causes a panic when not leaving time to line up in the main security line. It does happen.
About the privacy thing, when you fly to / from the USA they take your photo (and whatever else they do, facial recognition?) and you tell them where you are going and staying and why. Even booking the airline tickets you need to enter an address. If uncle Sam wants to find you or keep track of you, the Nexus fingerprints and retinal scan aren't the determining factor.
kidd.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:15 PM
Banned

If you have ever gone to school, any level.
Ever seen a doctor of any type
Ever had a job
Paid taxes
Bank account
Utilities bills
Drivers license
PAL
Birth Certificate
Marriage Certificate
Needed a back ground check by police, arrested by police.(finger prints)
Credit card
Bank Loan
Mortgage
Had blood drawn or donated
Served time in the military
Been a dependant of a person Serving

Or quite simply just existed.

All of this info about you has been logged, recorded, stored , used without your knowledge, shared, sold, traded in more ways than you could probably think.

Ever since you gave your first breath.

The know more about you, than you yourself know.

Not wanting the government to have your personal information?

Please

They know more than you will ever know.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
This.

I am religious about declaring everything. Came back from Cuba with more than my allotted rum. I declared it all. Boarder guy looked at the card...looked at the computer...asked me how many bottles. Stamped my form and off I went.

Happen to be checked and they compare your luggage scan to your declaration and it doesn't match. Get flagged for the next 6 years. Not fun.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-16-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
If you have ever gone to school, any level.
Ever seen a doctor of any type
Ever had a job
Paid taxes
Bank account
Utilities bills
Drivers license
PAL
Birth Certificate
Marriage Certificate
Needed a back ground check by police, arrested by police.(finger prints)
Credit card
Bank Loan
Mortgage
Had blood drawn or donated
Served time in the military
Been a dependant of a person Serving

Or quite simply just existed.

All of this info about you has been logged, recorded, stored , used without your knowledge, shared, sold, traded in more ways than you could probably think.

Ever since you gave your first breath.

The know more about you, than you yourself know.

Not wanting the government to have your personal information?

Please

They know more than you will ever know.
I once thought the same thing ,although i think im one of the exceptions because a few years back i had to go through a high level top security check/interview and was shocked that they knew very little,most of the info they had on me was wrong or even nonexistent.The guy at one point picked up my I.D looked at it and says "is this even you " the 5 guys before me the interviewer nailed everything from date of birth,parents,medical bank loans to credit card debt,not sure how i passed .
Old 01-16-2018, 05:20 PM

The Nexus program is run by the Department of Homeland Security.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-16-2018, 05:55 PM

if you travel lots it is a must in my opinion. It is a painless interview and saves a lot of time at airports and in customs. There are some cases where it isn't advantage but not many.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
Hey guys
But I just cant get over giving up all my personal info, fingerprints, retinal scan and photos of my passport to anyone, let alone the Govt... (is Nexus even Govt affiliated?) I know what most are going to say...."well if you don't plan on breaking the law then who cares what they have on you"........or possibly "If THEY wanted to get you, they already have enough info to get you so giving them all you personal info wouldn't matter anyway."
I can't figure out how you made it this far without knowing this. Did you not notice the banner at the top of the TPP website that says "Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security"?

Nexus is not for airport security, it is a program aimed at streamlining Customs and Immigration services. The CATSA simply decided they would allow Nexus members certain privileges rather than implement their own program like the US has done with TSA Pre. It seems like overkill for airport security because it is.

You are providing this information so they can do a background check in both countries. The fingerprints are for the US Customs and Border Patrol kiosk, the retina scans are for Canada Customs kiosks. Depending on the entry port you can go right through customs either very quickly without having to talk to anyone at all.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Recommending NEXUS makes as much sense as volunteering the location of your best fishing spot.
x10! HA! HA! that it what my wife said. if it was just a quick process

to get it I would not have said anything.lol

Orv.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. So I'm starting to notice that there are 2 popular websites promoting nexus. This is the first one that popped up and it was the one with the glitchy application form that I was talking about. Is this website legit?

http://canada.immigrationvisaforms.c...rms/nexus-pass
Old 01-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. So I'm starting to notice that there are 2 popular websites promoting nexus. This is the first one that popped up and it was the one with the glitchy application form that I was talking about. Is this website legit?

http://canada.immigrationvisaforms.c...rms/nexus-pass
NO!

These guys are trying to get you to pay $180 to copy the information from their form to the real one and submit it on your behalf. At best this is REALLY greasy.

Go here:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex...mande-eng.html
Old 01-17-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
NO!

These guys are trying to get you to pay $180 to copy the information from their form to the real one and submit it on your behalf. At best this is REALLY greasy.

Go here:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex...mande-eng.html
Wow thanks...I thought something was up with that glitchy form. Also noticed a few spelling mistakes and I thought something was up. That is sketchy....wonder how many people submitted through them considering its one of the top sites that come up when you google 'nexus application'
Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 PM

My wife and I and our three kids all have NEXUS cards. We live in the Greater Vancouver Area and are right next to the border. We cross the border regularly (twice a week, minimum) to fill up our vehicles with gas plus we go across on weekends to shop or vacation and such. That's a savings of $150-$200/month, by itself. We also have very short wait times at the border, while everyone else is stuck in lineups getting asked tons of questions while they manually scan passports, etc. We just drive up, flash our cards, state our purpose and then drive on (99% of the time).

Haven't used it on an airline yet but it will be handy for the faster security lines.

We got our cards within 5 weeks of applying, mainly because we booked our interviews just over the border, in the USA, where they had much shorter wait times (small town office in Blaine, WA).

100% worth the effort and cost, given that we use them constantly.