Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Default looking for great travel deals

I have heard of people finding all these great travel places, someone went to Kamaica all inclusive for 700.00 taxes, flight, hotel included for a week, said 200 more was all it was for 2 weeks.

Where do you find these deals? I looked at selloutvacations.com, etc but sure nothing that cheap.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-19-2011, 06:10 PM

Have an open mind, and open schedule.
Then dig, dig, dig
The deals are out there. Sometimes you have to pick less desirable times to get the super deals
Old 02-19-2011, 06:30 PM

I agree with having to be flexible. We just flew to Punta Cana for $230. Booked on a Tuesday, left the following Tuesday. Booked a private condo through VRBO.com for $1000 for the week. It was a brand new 2 bdrm, 2 bath place only about 50m to the beach. If you are a little adventurous VRBO is a great asset. I find it works great if there is a few of you. Split the cost of the place with 2 or 3 couples is cheap. You don't have the luxury of an all inclusive but you have your place without having to deal with the crowds and the same old, same old of an AI.

I use yycdeals.com for flights out of Calgary or yegdeals.com for flights out of Edmonton. Right now there is a deal out of Calgary to Puerto Vallarta for flights. The guy that runs the website also found a deal for an all inclusive that is offering kids under 10 stay free. Works out to be about $540/pp for the week for 2 adults and 2 kids under 10. Leaves on March 5th.

Sign up for email deals from Westjet and Air Canada. Also, check out flightcentre.ca
Old 02-19-2011, 06:36 PM

I just booked for mayan riviera for end of april. 5 star, VIP all the bells and whistles for 1205$ per person. I used flightcentre.ca out of st. albert they awesome to deal with
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Banned

I got an email from a friend of mine last night for my wife and me to accompany him and his wife to Freeport, Bahamas in May. We'd have an oceanview room in a Wyndham Hotel all inclusive for free and we'd only have to pay for our flight, about $500 + taxes each. I know that his wife is involved in the travel industry and they aren't paying for it but I don't know the deal with it. I guess in my case it's a matter of being lucky enough to know the right people.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I got an email from a friend of mine last night for my wife and me to accompany him and his wife to Freeport, Bahamas in May. We'd have an oceanview room in a Wyndham Hotel all inclusive for free and we'd only have to pay for our flight, about $500 + taxes each. I know that his wife is involved in the travel industry and they aren't paying for it but I don't know the deal with it. I guess in my case it's a matter of being lucky enough to know the right people.

Just noticed I spelled Jamaica wrong.....

Dave- were the taxes $500 too? Most of what I have seen so far, is 200 for the flight, 500 taxes

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 PM

also check out www.itravel2000.com
Old 02-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Just noticed I spelled Jamaica wrong.....

Dave- were the taxes $500 too? Most of what I have seen so far, is 200 for the flight, 500 taxes
No, lol. I did a very quick check last night and I found a flight with Air Canada for $468. I know from past experience that they absolutely soak you in different taxes. At the price of "Free" for the hotel I don't mind paying extra for a direct flight, if there is one, but I'll still check for a deal. If I find anything I'll let you know where.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:44 AM

The last cheap trip I took to Mexico, I found @ Target Vacations.
I know a few people who have used Sell Off Vacations, but I haven't ever found anything I liked.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-20-2011, 04:48 AM

Found a deal to Varadero for $900 taxes and all fees included in a 4*-all inclusive in April.
Then started looking closer. It left Calgary on a Saturday night-Did not arrive until 2:50 am in Varadero Sunday morning-one hour to clear the airport. Check in around 5am-first night wasted. Flight home at 4am the following Saturday so would need to leave the hotel for the airport before midnight on the Friday and be checked out on Friday am. Room close to the disco so likely no sleep to be had. The trip gets quite compressed. So I passed.

Looked a lttle more and found a deal for 8 days closer to Havanna-excellent travel times for a few bucks more.

READ the fine print and make sure that the low cost of a deal is worth it.
Supposed to be relaxing a vacation is.

Deals usually easier to come by if you are quite flexible in your travel dates and can make a decision and book with speed.

As always I delete all cookies each time I search otherwise prices seem to creep up each time you visit certain sites.

Last edited by omega50; 02-20-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 AM

Just this morning I found a great 2 week deal to stay in Benghazi! 99.00 plus taxes. No hidden expenses but the Libyan gov charges you for you own funeral if they shoot you.

You will need to wear something with big pockets since rocks need to be brought to the square with you. It might be better to use a bag so you dont have your pockets full of rocks when they start shooting.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM

well after a couple days looking, nothing really stands out as a great bargain. Why is it the lower the airfare, the higher the taxes? I actually found a flight to the Caribbean that was decent, $349 but $750 in taxes. ?!?@?# wtf?

I understand people selling something worth $500 on ebay for 5 then charging 250 shipping, they only pay sellers fees on the $5, but what is the tax deal on travel? What a crock.

I am sure we will find something sooner or later, but will likely end up driving across the border and flying from the US, seems to be MUCH cheaper than anywhere in Canada.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
well after a couple days looking, nothing really stands out as a great bargain. Why is it the lower the airfare, the higher the taxes? I actually found a flight to the Caribbean that was decent, $349 but $750 in taxes. ?!?@?# wtf?

I understand people selling something worth $500 on ebay for 5 then charging 250 shipping, they only pay sellers fees on the $5, but what is the tax deal on travel? What a crock.

I am sure we will find something sooner or later, but will likely end up driving across the border and flying from the US, seems to be MUCH cheaper than anywhere in Canada.
Canadian Airports have a lot of fees to pay including rent to the federal government. Yes you will probably find your ideal priced package leaving out of the US.
It would help if you mentioned where, when and how long you want to be away. We might be able to help you find that steal of a deal.

My friends have been looking for flights from St John's NFLD to Toronto for about 2 months. Last night I snagged the flight for 3 at the rate of 1210.00. The lowest price they had found was 1600.00

So help us out and maybe one of us can find you a vacation you will remember.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM

$340/pp includes taxes to Puerto Vallarta. Leaves March 5-12 from Calgary.

$833/pp includes taxes to Rome. Leaves May 4-18 from Edmonton.

But you are right about flying out of the States. I know lots of people that drive to Great Falls and fly from there.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
$340/pp includes taxes to Puerto Vallarta. Leaves March 5-12 from Calgary.

$833/pp includes taxes to Rome. Leaves May 4-18 from Edmonton.

But you are right about flying out of the States. I know lots of people that drive to Great Falls and fly from there.
Do you have a link for these?

We are looking at 5-14 days, somewhere warm and safe, inclusive would be best, 2 adults, 1 17, 1 15. I have never left North America, only real trip other than to Victoria was Vegas in '97.

Somewhere with a warm ocean and lots of beach would be the ultimate.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Too bad you'r so big, Canada post would be an option.

Cook Travel has some good deals on business class.

www.cookamerican.travel

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM

Neither of these are all inclusive (AI). Just flights only. The 1st one was found on yycdeals.com and the other one was found on yegdeals.com.

If you can't find an AI for cheap, we always go with VRBO.com. I have found most AI's are anywhere from $200-500/night. You can pay for a condo, buy a ton of food and cerveza for that price. If you fly into PV you can stay in Bucerias. A small town just outside of the city. We have been staying there for the last 5 years. The folks just returned yesterday actually. They found a 3bdrm, 2.5 bath house for $170/night. Split that between 3 couples. There is a Wal-Mart and a Costco close by now so getting groceries was easy.

If you are going to book a hotel. Use tripadvisor.com. You can see reviews of certain hotels and make a decision based on those.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Try www.travelalerts.ca , they can e-mail you deals weekly.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Ken, another good site to check out deals is www.redtag.ca

Having a passport in hand, and being ready to fly on a moments notice, you can get some really good deals. My problem is not having the time. Or if I have the time, I don't have the money......

Going to go one of these days. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-21-2011, 05:51 PM

Dang, wish I hadn't posted that link Ken!! Got looking at travel (wife and I haven't been anywhere without the kids since '06).....and now we're heading off to Costa Rica for a week, leaving in a week. All inclusive 4*, $2300 for the pair of us tax and all. Not bad for a week of indolence on the beach. Or bar.

I guess 'one of these days' came sooner than I thought.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Ken,

Do you collect aeroplan miles?
Airmiles anything?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 PM

neither

Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Gone Hunting

what dates are you looking at????
Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 PM

Wifey was watching the itravel2000.com site, we were lookin at the Mayan, trip was 8400.00, then came down to 5400.oo i think, she booked it for a week resort style for 4 of us... next day back up to 8400.00, dropped dawn to 8200.00, but there it sits.. if you have the time, the deals are out there..
Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
what dates are you looking at????
any time after March 6

Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Gone Hunting

As posted above...if you have chosen a destination, keep checking at least daily, wife does it more than that....until you find a price you're okay with.....most flights to vacation get a ways are charters and the price fluctuates a lot depending on how full the plane is....Good Luck!!! and Enjoy!
H.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 PM

" It depends on how full the plane is.." by Hal..

Exactly Hal, we..( She ) has been watching, all day... everyday, and bingobango, jump on i when you can.....

T minus 2 days to Cancun baybeeeeeeee.......
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM

http://www.travel-ticker.com/Destination/Caribbean
Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 AM

I just do a google search for last minute vacations. and try to find what i want.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=h...d57483344a3fed
Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Good article on http://www.yycdeals.com/ on how to get the best deal on an all inclusive package.