Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Castle Wildland camping

Just wondering if anybody was up camping in the castle wildland this past july long weekend? I heard they were kicking people out of areas like Blue Lake and others for random camping. Apparently you can't random camp in there. I was under the impression that you could random camp in a wild land area? Maybe I missed something? I've googled it and found where it says you can random camp in a wildland area and want to go but was curious if anybody knows anything other than what I have been able to find. Thanks
Old 07-03-2017, 09:17 PM

Was 1 camper just down the road from blue yesterday just before rivieres place but still camped in the forestry thats all i saw ...didnt go past whitney or mill
Old 07-03-2017, 09:57 PM

Just before Rivieres ( near field office) isn't part of the park. It private grazing lease, Still , random camping isn't allowed there as well.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:37 AM

I'm under the impression that you can camp in the wild land areas.just not the provincial part.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
Just before Rivieres ( near field office) isn't part of the park. It private grazing lease, Still , random camping isn't allowed there as well.
Really? That used to be our favorite spot over by the creek!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 07-04-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Really? That used to be our favorite spot over by the creek!

You dip in and out of wildland park and private land in that area if you are following the shell road.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 PM

Thank Phillips for that. She's only letting people random camp in designated areas this year to try and calm the backlash. Once her "rustic" sites are built for next year that will be the only thing available. And don't forget to keep your dog on a leash no longer than 2m in the entire castle area.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:40 PM

What are people supposed to do about bird hunting?
Old 07-04-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
What are people supposed to do about bird hunting?
My thoughts as well. Try hiking the bush with your pup on a leash. Trying to manage the dog and keep my fly rod out of the trees is rediculous. My dogs have always ran free up there and all were well behaved and stuck around. Never chased wildlife (except grouse). That vast amount of land and pups need to be tied up on a short short rope. Phillips needs her head checked.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUK SOO KOW View Post
Thank Phillips for that. She's only letting people random camp in designated areas this year to try and calm the backlash. Once her "rustic" sites are built for next year that will be the only thing available. And don't forget to keep your dog on a leash no longer than 2m in the entire castle area.
So you can't random camp in the wildland anywhere this year? The only designated sites are in the provincial park. According to their website you can random camp in the widland area as well as still drive a quad to blue lake. But I see now that they have a no motorized sign at the gate of blue canyon. just boils my blood.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
My thoughts as well. Try hiking the bush with your pup on a leash. Trying to manage the dog and keep my fly rod out of the trees is rediculous. My dogs have always ran free up there and all were well behaved and stuck around. Never chased wildlife (except grouse). That vast amount of land and pups need to be tied up on a short short rope. Phillips needs her head checked.
Ranchers with grazing permits are supposed to keep their herding dogs on a leash too. Kind of hard to herd on a leash .....
Old 07-05-2017, 08:53 AM

Default Whaaaattt??

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
Ranchers with grazing permits are supposed to keep their herding dogs on a leash too. Kind of hard to herd on a leash .....
Your making that one up.

How the hecks are they supposed to work.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Your making that one up.

How the hecks are they supposed to work.
Not made up , told to my face by the deputy minister.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:48 PM

Good luck with that one.I would love to see some of my buddies moving cattle around up there and some f'n ndp,er tell them to get their cattle dog on a leash..lol haaahaa
Old 07-05-2017, 07:50 PM

That **** will make the news..lol haaahaaa
Old 07-05-2017, 09:44 PM

Why should they be exempt. If my dogs on a leash, so should theirs be. Working dogs or not. Why give special treatment. Bs. It would be nice if the ranchers lend a voice to how stupid this rule is.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Why should they be exempt. If my dogs on a leash, so should theirs be. Working dogs or not. Why give special treatment. Bs. It would be nice if the ranchers lend a voice to how stupid this rule is.
Would this law be affecting the ranchers that were in favour of the Castle Wildland designation? The ones who thought it would it be a great idea to keep the quadders and random campers (aka everyone else) out of the area?
I truly enjoy it when the "well meaning" people get to experience the consequences of their actions that were intended to inconvenience "other people".

BTW- I heard a rumour that (existing) property values have really skyrocketed down there since our elected officials bought properties in the area. Can anyone confirm?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-05-2017, 10:49 PM

Looks like tha Alberta Parks site is changing regularly. Originally I was sure camping was allowed in the Wildland, but I couldn't find the yes or no. Anyone else see it?

Found it http://www.albertaparks.ca/media/649...-map-guide.pdf

Last edited by KBF; 07-05-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:07 PM

Other question I have is, since there is not a hunting season on up there. Can I carry my defender in to check trail camera?
Or
Since there is no season, is discharge permit not required?
Old 07-06-2017, 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=urban rednek;3578190]Would this law be affecting the ranchers that were in favour of the Castle Wildland designation? The ones who thought it would it be a great idea to keep the quadders and random campers (aka everyone else) out of the area?
I truly enjoy it when the "well meaning" people get to experience the consequences of their actions that were intended to inconvenience "other people".

Quote..From what I gather there isn't a lot of ranchers or towns people that frequently use the area, to happy with the changes to the castle. And support full use of the area.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:08 AM

Remember, this was forced on us without any TRUE public consultation. This does affect every user group.and they will keep lying to us about seeking changes popping up on a daily basis. It's gonna be a fight in 2 years with a new government to get back the access we had.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
From what I gather there isn't a lot of ranchers or towns people that frequently use the area, to happy with the changes to the castle. And support full use of the area.
I'm sure there are plenty of locals who are just as aggravated by these changes as the rest of us; and understood the potential impact of what was being rammed down our throats by a group charlatans posing as politicians.
However, previous threads on this subject included statements by upstanding members of our community that there was an active group of local users (ranchers and landowners) that wholeheartedly supported this initiative.
I was simply using an XL paintbrush to point out the delicious irony that such "well meaning" people, who actively supported this plan, might actually be negatively impacted by their own selfish desire to inconvenience other people.

Sometimes people need to get exactly what they ask for.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-06-2017, 07:49 AM

Fair enough
Old 07-06-2017, 07:51 AM

All I was saying is don't make that paint brush to big