Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 10:17 PM

Default Sand hill crane in west cactle area

On our evening drive up the 774 highway towards the west castle ski hill, we saw a Sand hill crane walk across the road. I think it had a baby in the ditch as it tried to fool us with the broken wing trick.
Isn't it a bit out of it's normal range? I see lots of them in eastern AB and Sask. I was not expecting to see one up here. We did get a couple of pics, one day I will learn how to post them.lol Phil.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:27 PM

I have seen Sandhills a few times during the spring in that area also.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:44 AM

Lots of them in the SW Alberta now.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
Lots of them in the SW Alberta now.
Seen them west of Sundre, swans as well. Pelicans almost as far. birds seem to be expanding their ranges.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 07-02-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:34 PM

Tons of em up here come spring and fall. Got a nesting pair on the farm as well, seem to come back there every year.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:16 PM

Was fly fishing in that area a few years ago and was walking across a field to get back to to the truck. All of a sudden, two heads pop up and I had to do a double take. There are sandhill cranes there and I also got a great pic!
Old 07-02-2017, 03:31 PM

Saw and heard a couple near Water Valley the other day while fishing, there also seem to be a lot sleeping at that lake near the Waterton NP Park entrance (past the bridge coming from Pincher Creek). We were watching some elk in the river two or so years ago in the evening and there were a lot of cranes coming in making lots of noise in the evening, same in the morning when they left. Nice to watch.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Birds in Eastern AB and SK (especially in grain fields) are migrants. They are present (though uncommon) throughout the AB Foothills. More common farther North, but they breed right down into Wyoming. They have been becoming increasingly common as breeders in the SW part of our province over the past 10-20 years.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-02-2017, 04:32 PM

Have them on my place every spring. Noisy buggers
Old 07-02-2017, 04:54 PM

Awesome, thanks for all the replies My wife and are renting a house in Beaver Mines for the summer. This is all new to us,and we are loving it. Every evening we try a new road. First night up to the ski hill we saw deer ,moose,and a griz.
Last Sunday we did a quad trip to Bovin Lake (blue lake) some call it. Wow the ride up the valley was priceless. LOOOOOVE this country. Phil.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:02 PM

Really great area, especially if you are into birds. We did the same when visiting friends down there a few times. Made a drive from Pincher Creek to the Oldman Dam and saw lots of osprey and bald eagles there, the bald eagles where flying in the upwind right next to the viewpoint of the dam, never seen them that close.
From there we drove North onto 510 and off that into the Porcupine Hills, forgot the name of the road we took, I think it was something like Snaring or Snaking Trail, on the best drive we saw 10 different golden eagles along that road, amazing birds to watch.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:29 PM

You are correct on the birds, although smaller, we have pine Sissin's, Bull0ck's Oriole and lots of different finches in the bird feeder. Tuesday morning I counted 23 elk from our bedroom window, in a pasture just below the house. I now take my binos up stairs every night. My wife got a great pic with a 300 mm lens. What a beautiful area. Phil.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:59 PM

I normally see Sand Hills out at Police outpost south of Cardston. Have never seen them back in the Castle but as the crane flies, the 2 areas are not far from each other.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Banned

Their all over the place down here